5.0 out of 5 stars Patch Adams, a gem of a film
Patch Adams follows a depressed lonely guy who checks into a mental institute and finally realises his purpose in life, to help people. He works hard and two years later arrives at a medical school to follow his new dream of being a docter, and here the fun really begins. You see Patch believes laughter is the best form of medicine and he will stop at nothing to get...
Published on 1 Nov 2004 by janeab

3.0 out of 5 stars Sappy at times but crosses the ramp
A movie the cynics love to hate, "Patch Adams" has its sappy and manipulative aspects, but it is also good-hearted, innocent and entertaining. Certainly not the worst of Robin Williams' roles, but not one of his best, either.

I recommend that cynics avoid this movie at all costs, because you will despise it. However, for those without a cynical bone in their...
Published on 23 Jun 2007 by Jay

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warmer!, 27 Oct 2010
This review is from: Patch Adams [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
To be honest, I purchased two of these for my sister-in-law. A friend of her's phoned her to watch the movie on the tv, but most of the film had elapsed, but still had a cry. She wanted 2 copies; one to lend to her friends, and one to make sure that she always had one for herself (and her children).

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect purchase, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: Patch Adams [VHS] (VHS Tape)
this film is one of the classic robin williams love it films delivered in excellent condition and on time comedy that also has a great story.. recommended for anyone with a heart !

4.0 out of 5 stars Patch Adams DVD, 29 Sep 2010
Mr. M. D. Redmond (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Patch Adams [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
An inspiring film that rewrote the text books on mental health treatment and all the more relevant that it was based on a true story

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutley brilliant, 1 Mar 2010
Tessa "Tessa" (Vale of Glamorgan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Patch Adams [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I seen this recently on channel 5 and had to buy the dvd and watch it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars a comedy with a good heart, 28 Aug 2009
P. R. Pearson "PaulP" (Mkt. Harborough, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Patch Adams [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
This film although highly enteraining has a strong underlying meassage about the state of medical care in the USA at the current time and the need for help in this area, for some people there. The main character is a rebel but usually with a good cause or a sense of humour, well worth a watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, 1 July 2009
This review is from: Patch Adams [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I bought this dvd for my father as a birthday present and he absolutely loved it.It's one of those films that everyone can enjoy - young and old and will have you both laughing and crying.I would highly recommend this dvd.An all round feel good film and Robin Williams is fab as usual.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a present, 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: Patch Adams [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I have seen the film years ago and gave this film at Christmas to a collegue. One of Robin Williams better films!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Fun!, 19 April 2008
This review is from: Patch Adams [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I had the chance a few years ago to purchase the book on Patch Adams' life, took time to read it and enjoyed every second, but it was probably the hardest book I have ever tried to read. Filled with medical terminology that uses up every letter in the alphabet in each word, it was a chore at times. I am after all, no doctor!!!

Thank God that this film was not that difficult. In essence, what they have done is base the story on the book, but in usual Hollywood fashion, have added that huge dollop of fun and entertainment in order to show the story to a wider audience.

I have always been a fan of Robin Williams since seeing a live show of stand up on TV and have enjoyed most of his films as he has made them, with the possible exception of the one where he stars as the photo shop neurotic and have loved this film since its coming to the silver screen.

The story of one man who found 'his' answer to all his problems in the fact that he could help others to live with their pain through non-medical intervention is one that needs to be shared with the medical profession. It may be annoying to some of those who are politically correct, who do not like to see criticism of any profession shown on screen, but in essence, the message is simple: there can be fun and frivolity found in all aspects of life, and most especially, death! If you are not sure what I mean, read the book as well as buying this wonderful DVD.

I enjoyed the difficulty of the book, but thank you Mr Williams and Co. for providing me with hours of endless fun. Long may the real Patch Adams continue to spread the word to those who need to hear it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars sensational beyond description and thought confusing, 1 Jan 2012
This review is from: Patch Adams [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
My mate lent me Hard Target on DVD starring Jean Claude Van Damme, when I opened the case there was the Patch Adams DVD instead. Rage doesn't begin to describe my emotions at that time. Was it a simple mix up as this is the second time it has happened? Not sure but I watched it anyway.

It was sensational beyond description and thought confusing. It has to be said though I had had a few drinks before watching this because I was annoyed about the JVD thing, so my memory in regard to some of the details of the movie are hazy at best.

I don't know whether to describe this film as a comedy, medical drama or a horror film. Certainly I screamed when Patch loomed out from the huge amount of balloons he was hiding in to swoop down on his prey - a young college girl. Amazingly she said she would marry him. I remember thinking he must have slipped some 'medication' in her drink. Actually that's tight, Patch is a nice guy but quite annoying and a lot older than the girl. I thought he was more of a father figure to her. I should have known though that he wanted to get in her pants. I know what he's like, Robin Williams was the same in bicentennial man, he's supposed to be a robot but again gets with some hotty who is human, robots aren't supposed to do that, the guys sex crazed.

Anyway the storey, which apparently is true, is about a doctor in America (don't think George Clooney because Patch is so unlike Dr. Doug Ross it's unreal). Dr Patch Adams is his name and he believes laughter is the best medicine, a philosophy which is interestingly shared by the editor of the Readers Digest. I have my doubts, but it's a nice idea.

Instead of spending his spare hours reading medical journals and going through case notes with other doctors Patch prefers to clown around the hospital acting the goat. Sometimes I wondered how I would feel if I was prescribed medication by a man who acted like he was the main event at a children's party. Actually I find is astonishing that he's a qualified doctor. I don't know about everyone else but if I was diagnosed by Patch as having a terminal illness and when I sat down to collect my thoughts I sat on a whoopee cushion I think I might snap. I would demand a second opinion or at least check with the nurse that he new what he was doing. Actually I might be imagining this but I thought some of the nurses weren't sure about Patch themselves and looked worried he would do something inappropriate. I also thought one of them fancied me which now I'm sober I accept is totally ridiculous so maybe I am over analysing the situation. Seriously though look at the DVD cover, you can see he can't be trusted.

Part way through the movie I was convinced that Patch was clinically insane and maybe was a patient of the hospital himself and only the audience and Patch were unaware of this. That would have been a great twist and I smugly announced to my girlfriend that this was in fact the case. Unfortunately the director didn't have this foresight and it was slightly embarrassing later when the credits rolled and Patch still wasn't sectioned.

The girl I mentioned at the beginning who marries patch gets killed halfway though the film by some head case. This made me so angry I really got behind Patch even though previously he was getting on my nerves. Straight away though I questioned whether he was up to the job of exacting
revenge. My suspicions were confirmed as he decides to leave the matter to the authorities and builds a free hospital instead. I bet the authorities went soft on him. I found this extremely upsetting at first but then I realised that Patch is a doctor and that makes him different from you and me. I'll be honest I would have annihilated the guy and probably tortured him and I'm ashamed to admit that the free hospital probably wouldn't have happened under my leadership. I would have built instead a fortress to defend myself from any backlash. Obviously this would been a much better movie, however would it be the right thing to do? These are the questions that doctors have to ask themselves every day.

In the end this movie was an emotional roller-coaster with highs of me thinking Patch was an alight guy and lows of screaming at him which upset my girlfriend which made me even more annoyed at him for upsetting her. I think what the movie is trying to say is that even though guys like Steven Siegal, Vin Diesal and Arnie are better at kicking arse and resolving conflicts you still need guys like Patch around even if his movies aren't any good a bit like Ghandi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robin Williams toned down but still brilliant., 30 Jun 2000
This review is from: Patch Adams [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
This film was one of those, that when it starts you think "Oh no, here we go, it's a serious film, and I thought, with Robin Williams in it, it was going to be light-hearted". Well, that's exactly what it is! Robin portrays Patch Adams as a caring and sensitive person, who, quite by accident, finds his purpose in life, and quite literally, nothing will stand in his way. Although there is a romance, it is handled very delicately, and as a result does not become to involved with the whole point of the story, which is to improve the treatment of sick people. This is definitely a "feel good" film as when it is over, you find yourself smiling and wishing you knew someone with the tenacity to enjoy life as much as Patch Adams, obviously does. I recommend this as a good way to find out what Robin Williams is capable of, even if you're not a fan. I guarantee you will enjoy it!

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Patch Adams [DVD] [1999]
Patch Adams [DVD] [1999] by Tom Shadyac (DVD - 1999)
5.00