5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mr Tom
This is a "Must See" TV film.

I have not read the book but will after reading the other reviews.

Published on 2 July 2006 by Gilly

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother if you've read the book!
I'm not an avid reader, often not even finishing a book before losing interest. However, I'm in the process of reading Goodnight Mr Tom for the third time, it's just such an incredible story.

With this in mind, I had great hopes for the TV movie, even knowing that it would never live up to the book. However, I found it to be an awful film adaptation! John Thaw...
Published 1 month ago by ManicOrlando1980

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mr Tom, 2 July 2006
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
This is a "Must See" TV film.

I have not read the book but will after reading the other reviews.

This is a very heartwrenching. sensitive, touching waretime film about an boy evacuated from London to stay with a widowed man in the country and how he gradually settles in to life there. He terrified to be suddenly summoned back to his Mum in London and Mr Tom searches for him when he gets no news from him. There is a close friendship between William and another boy in the village.

The transformation of Mr Tom and William during the story is wonderful.

Do please watch out for the expression on Mr Tom's face when William learns to ride his friend's bike. Superb acting. It's a real tearjerker and I get a lump in my throat every time....wonderful

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT., 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
THE STORY OF A YOUNG EVACUEE WHO IS BILLETED WITH A GROUCHY OLD MAN. WONDERFULLY ACTED BY THE SUPERB JOHN THAW AS MR TOM AND NICK ROBINSON AS YOUNG WILLIE BEECH. THE GROWING LOVE BETWEEN THE TWO IS PALPABLE. THIS FILM GIVES YOU LAUGHTER AND TEARS, BEFORE THE CONCLUSION. I HAVE WATCHED IT SEVERAL TIMES AND I LOVE IT, YOU WILL TOO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 19 Nov. 2006
Mrs. E. C. King (Rushden, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
My primary school teacher read this book to me and my class when I was 10 (I'm in my late 20's now) and was bought the book soon after. I still read the book every now and again and have watched the film everytime it has come on to the TV. The book is a bit battered, but will always stay in my collection as will this DVD.

The story line follows the book as best it can and it doesn't disappoint. Couldn't have had a better actor to play the role of Mr Tom.

Very good book & Film.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic drama, 21 Nov. 2010
C. H. Forrest (fife scotland) - See all my reviews
The transfer from dvd to bluray is a sharper and brighter picture quality. a very good programme from a classic actor John Thaw

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sixteen Hankies Job, 7 May 2000
By A Customer
Usually when I have read a book, the dramatisation disappoints me. With 'Goodnight Mister Tom', this was not so. With occassional artistic licence, this production remained completely true to Michelle Magorian's classic. John Thaw gave the kind of performance we have come to expect from him, but the real star was Nick Robinson, who gave a wonderful performance as William Beech. This was an exceptional piece of dramatisation, and I doubt that we will see its kind again for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The brilliant Goodnight Mister Tom, 26 April 2009
L. MacDonald (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
Goodnight Mister Tom is Brilliant.
In school we read the book,then for Christmas I got the DVD. At school we watched the film(when we had finished the book).
In the film /book A boy called Willie(Wiliam)is evacuated to the contry and Willie stays with Mister Tom. At the begining Mister Tom didn't want Willie and at the end Willie is adopted to Mister Tom. The book/film shows lots of emotions (some people cry).
Some of it is sad eg:When Willie gets locked up in the understairs cupboard.
Willie's Mum is really nasty.
There are some really gorss bits like when Willie's hair had been shaved off and you could see lots of scars(the scars are make-up). There is a gross bit were the camera zooms onto Willie's back and you could see the scars on his back and Willie turns round and Mister Tom see's the scars.When Willie does that Mister Tom lookes worried.
There are other good bits. I am not going to tell you any more because I dont want to spoil it for you.
Hope you find my review useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thaws best work, 25 Aug. 2005
Wilz "wilson9hb" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
For someone as famous and probably type cast as John Thaw, this must have seemed to him to be a real gamble. Yet,despite an overdose of Morse, Kavanagh etc., his depiction of the leading character in this masterpiece was fresh, realistic and sufficiently emotional to make the whole story ring true. With the excellent support of some young actors this should not be missed. If you haven't seen it, get it now - I can't believe that there is anyone on earth who would fail to be moved and to enjoy this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best story ever!!!, 2 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
I was read this book when i was in year 4, and have read the book hundreds of times since, i have the film on video but would like to get it on DVD just incase i ever no longer have a video player, it is my favourite book ever, and the film is just as good!It is definatly worth buying,it is the kind of film which anyone of any age would love, and i would definatly reccomend you to buy it, as you could watch this film lots of time and never get bored of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 26 April 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
This is a great film.I found some parts of the film very sad especially when Will's sister died, and when Zach died. This is a good film if you want to find out what it was like to be a child in world war 2,and how it felt to be evacuated to the countryside. John Thaw was very good at acting like a grumpy old man. I would recommend this film to everyone who likes sad films with happy endings.
By Jordan Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars The BBC at its best., 30 Oct. 2006
Darren Grant (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
Such a moving story that can not fail to touch your emotions. While many stories of human emotion can be slushy and tasteless especial from hollywood this really shows the complexity of human emotions without being sickly. I'm sure the fact that it is an excellent story line to start with is the main reason for such an enjoyable film the acting is also exceptional. John Thaw's country accent is a little hard to believe probably due to being used to his other detective based roles. That does not detract in any way from the quality of the acting though and I would rate this as a film that everyone should see at least once in their lives.

Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] [1998]
Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] [1998] by Jack Gold (DVD - 2010)