5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mr Tom
This is a "Must See" TV film.

I have not read the book but will after reading the other reviews.

Published on 2 July 2006 by Gilly

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment
This marvellous story has been remastered very competently. However, I believe that it has been very poorly edited. I feel that the story no longer flows, but hastens from scene to scene - maybe there was an imperative to reduce the length of the production. It has somehow lost its impact, which is a great shame. I would advise potential purchasers to search for an...
Published on 2 Mar 2011 by Mr. Anthony Edmond Gaynor

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mr Tom, 2 July 2006
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] (DVD)
This is a "Must See" TV film.

I have not read the book but will after reading the other reviews.

This is a very heartwrenching. sensitive, touching waretime film about an boy evacuated from London to stay with a widowed man in the country and how he gradually settles in to life there. He terrified to be suddenly summoned back to his Mum in London and Mr Tom searches for him when he gets no news from him. There is a close friendship between William and another boy in the village.

The transformation of Mr Tom and William during the story is wonderful.

Do please watch out for the expression on Mr Tom's face when William learns to ride his friend's bike. Superb acting. It's a real tearjerker and I get a lump in my throat every time....wonderful

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 19 Nov 2006
Mrs. E. C. King (Rushden, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] (DVD)
My primary school teacher read this book to me and my class when I was 10 (I'm in my late 20's now) and was bought the book soon after. I still read the book every now and again and have watched the film everytime it has come on to the TV. The book is a bit battered, but will always stay in my collection as will this DVD.

The story line follows the book as best it can and it doesn't disappoint. Couldn't have had a better actor to play the role of Mr Tom.

Very good book & Film.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT., 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] (DVD)
THE STORY OF A YOUNG EVACUEE WHO IS BILLETED WITH A GROUCHY OLD MAN. WONDERFULLY ACTED BY THE SUPERB JOHN THAW AS MR TOM AND NICK ROBINSON AS YOUNG WILLIE BEECH. THE GROWING LOVE BETWEEN THE TWO IS PALPABLE. THIS FILM GIVES YOU LAUGHTER AND TEARS, BEFORE THE CONCLUSION. I HAVE WATCHED IT SEVERAL TIMES AND I LOVE IT, YOU WILL TOO.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic drama, 21 Nov 2010
C. H. Forrest (fife scotland) - See all my reviews
The transfer from dvd to bluray is a sharper and brighter picture quality. a very good programme from a classic actor John Thaw

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sixteen Hankies Job, 7 May 2000
By A Customer
Usually when I have read a book, the dramatisation disappoints me. With 'Goodnight Mister Tom', this was not so. With occassional artistic licence, this production remained completely true to Michelle Magorian's classic. John Thaw gave the kind of performance we have come to expect from him, but the real star was Nick Robinson, who gave a wonderful performance as William Beech. This was an exceptional piece of dramatisation, and I doubt that we will see its kind again for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mister Tom 1998, 20 Jan 2010
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] (DVD)
i found this film realy so near to the events of that era,i seemed to be part of it,so very well acted by all,john thaw apart an actor i have always admired and like,but acted with utter conviction by all,almost unfair to pick certain persons so i say with a little sentalmentality to see how the chidren knew just ordinary pleasures like learning to ride a bike ect was not only a jog down memory lane but also educational as to how life was in them times,also the music,scenery,and the shots of the old transport-everything about this dvd i not only will watch again and also reccommend as a good old fashsion tear jurker.THANKYOU.DAVID.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mr Tom, 15 Jan 2011
G. Tully (Leics UK) - See all my reviews
One of the best children's films I have seen about WWII. We read the book as our class read (y5&6) and the children were gripped. The film was an end of term treat and I wasn't sure if, having read the book, some of them would get bored but no, everyone was hooked! I can't recommend it enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 26 April 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great film.I found some parts of the film very sad especially when Will's sister died, and when Zach died. This is a good film if you want to find out what it was like to be a child in world war 2,and how it felt to be evacuated to the countryside. John Thaw was very good at acting like a grumpy old man. I would recommend this film to everyone who likes sad films with happy endings.
By Jordan Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Best story ever!!!, 2 Dec 2006
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] (DVD)
I was read this book when i was in year 4, and have read the book hundreds of times since, i have the film on video but would like to get it on DVD just incase i ever no longer have a video player, it is my favourite book ever, and the film is just as good!It is definatly worth buying,it is the kind of film which anyone of any age would love, and i would definatly reccomend you to buy it, as you could watch this film lots of time and never get bored of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thaws best work, 25 Aug 2005
Wilz "wilson9hb" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
For someone as famous and probably type cast as John Thaw, this must have seemed to him to be a real gamble. Yet,despite an overdose of Morse, Kavanagh etc., his depiction of the leading character in this masterpiece was fresh, realistic and sufficiently emotional to make the whole story ring true. With the excellent support of some young actors this should not be missed. If you haven't seen it, get it now - I can't believe that there is anyone on earth who would fail to be moved and to enjoy this film.

ARRAY(0xa2b71c30)

Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD]
Goodnight Mister Tom [DVD] by Jack Gold (DVD - 2010)
5.29