5.0 out of 5 stars "I think I am someone who can only feel things when they are alive to me."
After Prince Albert died in 1859, his memory was so alive to Queen Victoria, and her mourning for him was so dramatic that she virtually retired from the throne. Three years after Prince Albert's death, while the Queen was living in seclusion at Balmoral Castle in Scotland, John Brown was hired to tend her horses. A rough, virile man, far more accustomed to life in the...
Published on 8 Oct 2006 by Mary Whipple

3.0 out of 5 stars OK-movie
I guess that I just expected a little bit more form this movie even though Judie Dench's acting was very good.
Published 22 months ago by CG

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Her Majesty Mrs Brown (DVD) (Region 1) (US Import) NTSC, 11 Feb 2013
I would've enjoyed this product so much more if it hadn't been sub-titled. I had no idea this was the case as I would not have bought it. I had seen the movie and thought it excellent so wanted a copy that I could look at from time to time, so ordered it, and to my amazement and disappointment found out it was sub-titled, and as far as I can recollect this was not stated before I ordered it, so it came as an unpleasant surprise. The reason for ordering this particular copy was that the other copies were so expensive but I will try and not make this mistake again.

4.0 out of 5 stars mrs brown dvd, 11 Jan 2013
my mistake didn't reallse this was a video, but it was a present for my parents and they love this film and still have a video player

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret life of Queen Victoria., 19 Nov 2011
Doreen Hunt (France.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mrs Brown [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
An interesting insight into the very private life of a Queen consumed by grief.
John Brown's contrbution to her later years revealed at last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Mrs Brown [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
This DVD is captivating and entertaining from start to finish. Judi Dench is brilliant as usual, and Billy Connolly is surprisingly good in this serious role. To be enjoyed by men as well as women! We also learnt a little more about Queen Victoria and her family! (However I would not regard it as seriously historical!).

3.0 out of 5 stars mrs brown 2011 REGION 1 dvd, 3 Feb 2011
K. Smith (surrey england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mrs Brown [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
great film , if you are looking for 16.9 anamorphic release then the 2011 release from echo bridge entertainment is the one
to get , it is a region 1 dvd , so make sure your dvd player plays region 1 dvds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Nov 2014
very good

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 30 Oct 2014
Great

5.0 out of 5 stars Great historical drama, 1 May 2009
A. Houghton (Twickenham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mrs Brown [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
If you haven't seen it, why not!? You won't be disappointed if you like old Queen Vic!

4.0 out of 5 stars "The Remains of the Day" in Victorian Age, 3 Mar 2006
This review is from: Mrs Brown [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
What an intriguing film maker John Madden is. His Oscar-winning "Shakespeare in Love" is centred on the path of young Shakespeare from anonymity to greatness - a period in writer's life about which we know practically nothing. From a subject equally elusive and much gossiped at its time - the nature of relationship between servant John Brown and Queen Victoria of England - Madden elicits in "Mrs. Brown" a powerful, sadly cruel and incredibly fascinating fresco of the eternally torn relationship between men and institutions, power constraints and individual drives. In a film with many qualities, the greatest is that Madden films as he breathes, drawing the maximum liveness and emotion from actors, photography, scenery and music for a Story always in motion. Scenes like Sir Henry Ponsonby introducing John Brown to the rules of service for the widowed Victoria, the cat-and-mouse power game between Brown, Private Secretary Ponsonby and the Queen, the fictional "historical interview" of the subtle prime minister Disraeli with a restless and increasingly disillusioned Brown, the impact of the servant with the Queen's coming back to public life are all moments of great cinema. They reminded me of the best achievements of Italian film maker Luchino Visconti. Not casually Visconti, like Madden, took inspired, unconventional choices for key roles in "Senso" ("The Wanton Countess") and "Il Gattopardo" ("The Leopard") to avoid having the main characters entangled by the rhetoric of History. Composer Stephen Warbeck and cinematographer Richard Greatrex teamed up again with Madden for "Shakespeare in Love".

1.0 out of 5 stars this I sent back to you, 8 April 2013
this dvd I I I SENT back to you this is the third time I have mentioned this to you.it would not play,it went to STOP on 2 dvd players,so I sent it back with Twilight Breaking Dawn part 2,so I would think you have them both now.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Mrs Brown [DVD] [1997]
Mrs Brown [DVD] [1997] by John Madden (DVD - 2001)
Used & New from: £7.20