5.0 out of 5 stars Chills, but not the heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Chills, but not the heart, 22 Feb. 2007
Four Violets (Hertford UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Big Chill [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this film so much the first time I saw it, I did something I have never done before or since with a film - rewound it and watched it right through again. The soundtrack definitely has loads to do with the film's appeal, the tracks are evocative and moody. Several ex-college friends meet together after a long absence to attend the funeral of another mutual friend who has inexplicably committed suicide. All the dreams and aspirations of long-gone college days seem to have evaporated, and cynicism, materialism and nihilism are taking over. The interactions between the characters is constantly changing, frequently hilarious and often very, very poignant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie and even better DVD edition, 8 Mar. 2000
This review is from: The Big Chill [DVD] (DVD)
If this is the same DVD edition I have bought in a shop, then it has some of the most informative, fun and interesting extra material I have ever seen. The "cut scenes" are funny and you come to wish you could re-integrate them in the movie, and the retrospective is nothing like the empty talking heads mostly going on about themselves that you see in these cases - both director and actors have intelligent contributions to make that enhance your comprehension and enjoyment of the movie. Needless to say, the movie itself is touching, funny and as true as when I first saw it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, still valuable, but too much music, 14 Sept. 2014
Elleppi (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
A meant to be a classic. i guess that when Lawrence Kasdan (writer of Raiders of the lost ark, Empire strikes back and director of Accidental tourist and Mumford) wrote and made this film, he hoped that would become a milestone of cinema history or, at least, a memorable film for all those who were born between 1950 and 1980. Because this film really touches who lived the sixties and who heard about them in the following decades. Kasdan and his wonderful cast did their best to make us live and feel like people from the 68, those who protested and then became middle men, exactly what they fought against and hoped they would never turn into when they gree up. i've watched this film when i was a teen, then when I was at university and, again, now that I'm almost 40 and criterion released it on another of its fantastic blu ray edition. The film is still strong, funny, well written and wonderfully acted and make you feel like one of them, bringing you nostalgia and memories of that era even if you never belonged to it. And it's a bitter admission of time going by and of the end of an era, overwhelmed by the new tv consumistic generations which turned everything into cliche, into pop and middle class values. But are we sure that those survivors were not also responsible for that? This is one of the points that I think this film is about, which makes it even more universal and still valuable now: how much is youth true, if it regularly turns into its opposite? One last thing: the film is wonderful, but I think that it should have relied less on soundtrack and give more space to dialogues, since it's mainly an acting film. Too much music make me think they were afraid the film would not be appealing to the audience without it, so they chose the easiest way to catch viewers' attention. It would have worked even better without filling the whole film with music: sometimes when one track ends we turn to the next scene and to the next track, with not even a minute of "silence", resulting in a film that look a lot like a playlist where every scene seems like standing alone from the others. Which is not always so captivating as I guess they thought it would

5.0 out of 5 stars A Charming Film for Middle Aged People, 26 Dec. 2008
William Cohen (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Big Chill [DVD] (DVD)
This is a very subtle film. It has a broad canvass of characters who once were at university together, but each one engages you as a different career path, or a different example of how things can work out.

Death brings them all together, as I think it does to groups every so often in life. The reactions reveal the hollowness, wisdom or dissatisfactions of their own personal life choices or misfortunes. Some of the film is contrived, some of it becomes a bit far-fetched, but the warmth and intelligence of the movie is not in doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars The feelgood movie to end all feelgood movies, 13 Dec. 2006
Vandewoude Roger "woody" (Zwijndrecht Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Chill [DVD] (DVD)
Full proof that a simple yet solid screenplay turns to gold when given to a brilliant director and played by an impressive cast. I was totally blown away when I first saw this film back in the eighties, and each time I see it again the same feeling comes over me.

If you don't warm up to this film, check the ice in your veins ! See it or, better yet, buy it without any hesitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Chill, 11 Mar. 2005
Jim Murphy (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Chill [DVD] (DVD)
If you can look past the 80s perms, knitwear and the nostalgic soundtrack, this is a very rich expression of so many human complications, truths and disappointments. Not the kind of thing Hollywood makes much any more. Very enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow, over-acted and predictable dialogue. It may improve ..., 7 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Big Chill (DVD)
Slow, over-acted and predictable dialogue. It may improve as I couldn't bear more than 30 minutes I'm afraid. It struck me that someone in casting had tried to piece together all the box-office actors of a similar period into a Woody-allen film (written by someone less witty) - not even disappointing just predictable - I think I must have decided to rent this one at a weak moment

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 80's film with a terrific 60's/70's soundtrack, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Big Chill [DVD] (DVD)
What a terrific ensemble cast - Glenn Close, Kevin Kline et al, just terrific. There are some really good lines in this film, William Hurt is the standout actor for me in this, but nobody is terrible, it's a film I watch often - I even have the 15th anniversary poster of the box cover framed above my bed.

Love it :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Misty water-colored mem'ries of the way we were..., 22 Sept. 2007
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Big Chill [DVD] (DVD)
It's been twelve years since the halcyon days of college, and eight old friends are reunited for a classmate's funeral. Glenn Close and Kevin Kline play a married couple who open their home to the gang for a weekend of reminiscences of the good old days and moans about how their lives have turned out. William Hurt plays a disillusioned and disabled ex-soldier, Jeff Goldblum is a sarcastic writer, Tom Berenger is an actor who's seen better days, JoBeth Williams is married but looking for love, Mary Kay Place is single and looking for a baby daddy, and Meg Tilly is the deceased's young girlfriend.

There is no real action or plot; the film is made up of scattered, quiet conversations that reveal the characters' emotions. The early 70s rock soundtrack is such a big part of the movie, it's almost another character. If you loved songs like, "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" and "A Whiter Shade of Pale," you will love the non-stop music. Unfortunately, I didn't connect with any of the characters or find them particularly interesting; to me they were spoiled, self-centered whiners with precious little to complain about, who managed to spend two hours doing it anyway. If you fit the Gen-X demographic and like the music, you'll probably enjoy this low-key movie about a reunion of old friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Settle down and enjoy an un flashy gem, 17 May 2013
Fatoldauntie (Methlick, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Chill [DVD] (DVD)
A great ensemble piece from a group of fine actors early in their careers. Good story line and measured performances make this an unfashionably un flashy gem.

The Big Chill [DVD]
The Big Chill [DVD] by Lawrence Kasdan (DVD - 1999)