4.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray review
Published on 25 April 2011 by Chinatown Blue

The problem with special-effects films like "Godzilla" is 'age' - and in 2014 ("Mastered In 4K" or not) - 1998 seems like a very long time ago. But a few details first before I get into this…

Published 4 months ago by Mark Barry

3.0 out of 5 stars "Godzilla - Mastered In 4K" - A Review Of The 4K BLU RAY Version..., 12 April 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Godzilla (4K Mastered) (Blu-ray)

I don't own a 4K TV - nor do I own the Sony BDPS6200 BLU RAY player with built-in 4K upscaling. So I suppose this review of "Godzilla Mastered In 4K" is compromised on 2 fronts. However I have what I suspect most film lovers have - a good Plasma TV and a half-decent BLU RAY player.

I’ve already bought and reviewed the BLU RAY for "Glory Mastered In 4K" just recently and loved it. I thought the improvement was huge on what went before. But unfortunately - I only sporadically see improvement in "Godzilla"(no matter how much fun it is)...and I suspect there are several reasons for this.

I’ve found that a certain percentage of BLU RAY reissues only make the print worse by exposing more – and to some degree that’s what’s happening here with 4K. A large amount of the shots are in a rain-sodden New York - or at night - or in tunnels - inside Madison Square gardens - out at sea in the dark - and mostly you simply get accentuated grain. There are so many scenes when proceedings just seem murky rather than clear – and it didn’t matter what Aspect I watched the film in. A lot of the time I felt like I wasted my money on this.

But let me be clear about the other side of the coin - there absolutely are moments when the picture quality is startlingly good – beautiful even. Broderick making a phone call on a payphone in the rain – Hank Azaria talking to his girlfriend in a coffee shop - earth worms coming up to the surface of the mud as he sends shocks into the clay – Jean Reno’s face as he turns around in a taxi on the docks…these were superbly filmic. But overriding all of that is another core problem…

Special-effects shots that were once state-of-the-art and thrilled audiences – now seem hammy and worse - obviously painted in. When you think of the recent "Transformers" films or "Man Of Steel" or "Avengers" or "Total Recall" and realize just how far effects have come on – the feeling that the giant reptile is actually there in New York no longer plays because spaces and hiding techniques now show up more than ever.

So is Mastered In 4K a gimmick? No it's not. The new format on BLU RAY is in its infancy for sure as far as releases and market interest is concerned - but judging on what I saw with "Glory" – 4K will eventually take over – and does make a difference if the print is properly restored.

It just appears that some films will benefit more than others. I would advise either avoid this one or try to view first before you buy…

PS: Titles MASTERED IN 4K as of April 2014 are:

1. Angels And Demons (2009)
2. Battle: Los Angeles (2011)
3. Elysium (2013)
4. Ghostbusters (1984)
5. Glory (1989)
6. Godzilla (1998)
7. The Karate Kid (2010)
8. Men In Black (1997)
9. Moneyball (2011)
10. The Other Guys (2010)
11. Pineapple Express (2008)
12. Spider-Man (2002)
13. Spider-Man 2 (2004)
14. Spider-Man 3 (2007)
15. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
16. Taxi Driver (1976)
17. Total Recall (2012)

3.0 out of 5 stars More than a new species..., 21 Dec 2006
This review is from: Godzilla [DVD] (DVD)
I remember going to see this film in the cinema, twice. As a 14 year old kid who was interested in movies I have to say I was awestruck on my first viewing. I simply could not believe Comptuer Generated Imagery had come so far as to have a collosal dinosaur thing roam through the streets of Manhattan.

Now I'm older an wiser I realise the story is weak to say the least, dialogue has no real motivation and the character depth is shallow. The audience follow a simple plot from one Gozilla fiasco to another without having to think, but it must be said the visuals are fairly impressive. Being released a year after Men In Black this film really went all out on CGI to be the next big thing, as well as having the largest movie promotion budget at the time. It came at the stage where movies were changing, and relying more on the fantastic to reel in the sudiences. For this, it deserves my 3 star salute.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray review, 25 April 2011
Chinatown Blue "cthulhoid" (S-O-T, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As usual, when looking for a review of a film on Amazon you have to wade through dozens of irrelevant ones for other format versions to find a smattering of fairly unhelpful ones of the actual product. This review is only for the blu ray version, and I won't bother discussing the film itself; if you're looking at blu ray versions you more than likely have already seen the film and liked it enough to upgrade, like me. Regarding the blu ray quality - it's excellent. I didn't find it excessively grainy and I have to say it's a hell of a lot clearer than the dvd version. Many complaints about this film were over the fact that you couldn't see enough because it was always dark and rainy. Not a problem here; still dark and rainy, but the sharpness of the blu ray image makes the details stand out. I got a lot more from this than from the dvd. The sound is better, even if you're not using a home cinema system and just a standard HD tv with dolby. The menu is entertaining, too - if you don't select immediately you get a cgi meander down the street to the accompaniment of huge, reverberating footsteps. The extras are a Godzilla trivia quiz, a visual effects commentary, Behind the Scenes with Charles Caiman, a round up of best Godzilla fight scenes, and a music video by the Wallflowers. It's widescreen format (2:40:1), audio in English, German and French DTS-HD MA, and subtitles for English (HOH and standard), Arabic, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Norwegian, Swedish and Turkish. It loses a star because when all's said and done, I really like the old Japanese Godzilla stuff and would have liked a bit more in the movie related to those. But maybe someday someone will put out remastered blu rays of the originals, so I'll be able to relish them more.

3.0 out of 5 stars The hype was as big as the monster to start with!, 4 Mar 2013
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Godzilla [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
It felt like this take on Godzilla was advertised for 2 years in advance of its actual release, every time (it seemed) I went to the cinema I was awestruck by little teaser trailers, in fact the one of the old guy fishing and hooking Zilla is a personal favourite...SIZE DOES MATTER! Love it I do. Sadly as most of us now know, the film didn't meet fans and critics expectations at all, but was the film done down by the hype and an expectation of a masterpiece for the genre?

Well it didn't help that is for sure, but taking aside that problem, the film only glimpses at what might have been. It has many great points that seem to have been forgotten, so sadly we are all too aware of the film's failings on the makers behalf. The build up in the film is excellent, the makers mount the tension in steady strokes, doing what all classic monster movie makers do, they have you waiting with gripping expectation of the creature by a series of scenarios and inventive dialogue. The sound is incredible, making it an essential viewing for those who cherish home surround cinema, while some of the shots and destruction of New York are well worth the viewers time.

But then? Well they throw the good work away by turning the film's focus away from the big lizard to a story line that was only fitting for the cartoon version of Godzooki. Thus rendering the film as a poor man's Jurassic Park, which quite frankly doesn't sit well. Matthew Broderick, Jean Reno and Hank Azaria all deserved better scripting, hell we all did!

It's not the evil stinker some would have you believe, it does have its moments of both good and bad, it is, by definition, very much a film split down the middle. 5/10

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Special Effects but not enough about Godzilla, 2 May 2004
This review is from: Godzilla [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
If you've read my other reviews about Independence Day and Stargate, the same creators of Godzilla, you'll probably know that I enjoyed them both. But here they've not made such a good film. I saw this at the Cinema in 1998 and did enjoy it, don't get me wrong about that, but it didn't seem to have much detail about Godzilla himself. The Special Effects, being done by the same people who did Independence Day, are excellent, but the film seems to be more involved about the cast than the Monster. There are more things about this movie I don't like, like the script, being terrible, but apart from that this film features Good Special Effects, Entertainment and humour throughout. Hopefully the creators will make up for the mistake of Godzilla in their new film The Day After Tomorrow coming out later this year, which I am looking forward to. This film also features some very good extras on it, like The Special Effects Team Commentary

4.0 out of 5 stars Succeeds as a "popcorn" movie, but Godzilla it ain't, 5 Aug 2005
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Godzilla [DVD] (DVD)
This movie's biggest problem is its title. I can't imagine how much money it took for Toho to permit American filmmakers to completely reinvent Godzilla in such an appalling way. As a Godzilla purist, I have to say that the monster in this film is a CGI imposter who has little if nothing to do with the real thing. Godzilla does not have remarkably svelte, feminine legs and he most certainly does not lay eggs - even the son of Godzilla was adopted. I was willing to play along with Toho in 1985 and pretend that all of the Godzilla sequels up to that point never really existed, but I'm not going to accept this Americanized monster as Godzilla. It would have been much better (and probably much cheaper) just to call this thing Reptilosaurus or Freakin' Huge Monster or The Monster That Ate New York - anything but Godzilla.
All my Godzilla issues aside, this really isn't that bad of a movie. This was intended to be a "popcorn" movie, a summer action blockbuster that sought merely to entertain - and I did find it entertaining. Heck, I even liked the French guy, and that almost never happens. Of course, it was the French who got New York into this mess with their atomic tests, but here they actually recognize that a problem exists and do something to rectify the situation - that, even more than the CGI Godzilla's wake of destruction - is how you know this is pure fiction. Matthew Broderick carries the film pretty well as "the worm guy," and that Maria Pitillo is just cute as a button. Harry Shearer's rather needless role as the smarmy local news anchor is interesting only because of the Simpsons connection (apparently, his real voice is that of Principal Skinner). Hank Azaria, who can be annoying at times, adds some great comedy to the film, which prevents him from being completely overshadowed by the mysterious French agent Philippe (Jean Reno).
There's plenty of action - there's no denying that fact. What Godzilla doesn't tear up himself, the military destroys in the process of trying to kill the world's biggest illegal alien. Bombs, explosions, tanks, rifles, missiles by land, sea, and air - they're all here in droves. Then, of course you have the whole siege of Madison Square Garden by untold numbers of baby monsters. And then, just when you think the credits are about to roll, the biggest chase scene of the whole movie takes place. None of it is remotely plausible, but it's not supposed to be. For some, such as me, the film is ultimately rather sad. Here's this monster created by radiation, and all he wants is to raise a family - and then he has to watch his whole world fall apart and ultimately fail.
There is a bit of the oddball in this film. I am still trying to figure what the heck the deal was with the Siskert and Ebert parody (Mayor Ebert and his assistant Gene). Where in the world did this come from? Did someone actually think this would be funny? It's really just extremely silly, and it does the film no good whatsoever. You can also add some really stupid lines of dialogue to the movie's faults -New Yorkers arguing over driving directions while the monster is breathing down their tail, the "That's a lot of fish" throwaway line, etc. The movie is also pretty long - many will find it too long, but I rarely mind getting extra minutes for my money. Ultimately, though, this film relies far too much on special effects; give me the guy in the big rubber suit any old day. Notwithstanding this, however, the film does what it sets out to do, and it succeeds rather well at meeting its less than lofty goals; first and foremost, this is, after all, nothing more than a "popcorn" movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars quality is okay not great, 14 Feb 2014
Mohammed87 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Godzilla [DVD] (DVD)
arrived today, watchable. was looking buy on Blu-ray could not find one. otherwise the movie is okay. okay picture, love the movie, cant wait for the new one coming out.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit hammy, but still fun., 13 Feb 2014
Georgiana (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Godzilla [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
This film is poorly acted on occasion and the writing isn't astonishing, but this is definitely an exciting disaster / monster film. Of course, it is quite different from Gojira, and lacks the panache of the original, but Emmerich does a great job making the monster his own in this film and fans of his sweeping (and sometimes a little silly) disaster films will enjoy this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Godzilla [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
This film is good fun but the special effects are pretty dated bit scary for young children, good soundtrack too

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Film - I Can't See The Negatives!, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: Godzilla [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
Godzilla was first released to cinemas in 1998 and, frankly, you either loved it or you hated it! Me, I was a bit too young in my age to realise that it was, in fact, a remake/reimagining (whatever) of a Japanese series of films. On that note, I will say that I have seen one or two of the old Japanese incarnations and they're not bad. However, this film brought Godzilla to a new generation.

The film focuses on French nuclear testing in Polynesia and, during one such experiment, lizards become exposed to the rediation, thus creating 'Godzilla'. The creature makes its way from Polynesia to Panama and finally to the Eastern Seaboard of the United States and, finally, New York City itself. What is the creature doing in New York? Well, watch the film and find out!

In my opinion, it certainly makes for a good watch! There's a pretty good cast of actors, including Matthew Broderick, Jean Reno, Harry Shearer, Kevin Dunn and Hank Azaria (you should recognise two of these names from The Simpsons). The characters that these said actors portray are very believable and, in one particular case, absolutely hilarious!

The overall star of the film is Godzilla himself. Watching him virtually destroy New York City at will is cool and he is also very clever with his 'motive'. Watch the film and discover exactly what that is.

Finally, there are some flaws with the film. The most prominent one is the weather. One will notice that it rains 'profusely' throughout this film, and that's putting it lightly! Another flaw is the DVD quality. I own the DVD version of this and it really isn't that good. It's very blurry, especially where backgrounds are concerned. I realise that much of the film is dark anyway, but still, the DVD quality of this one is poor.

All things considered, Godzilla is a very good film - I really cannot see where the negatives stem from! The plot is pretty good, most to all of the actors are on top form and, well, it's Godzilla!

Thanks for reading this rant. I hope it helps.

Godzilla [1998] [DVD]
Godzilla [1998] [DVD] by Roland Emmerich (DVD - 2010)
3.00