5.0 out of 5 stars Do you remember Evil Edna, Arthur, Mavis, Moog & Carwash?
Published on 31 Oct 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars i thought i was buying the old version of Willo the Wisp :(
I purchased this product thinking im buying the old 1970's period one as I loved watching this as a young kid. when I got it I found out its an updated now-a-day version I just never bothered to watch it and through it in with all my other dvds.
Published 12 months ago by Pen Name

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you remember Evil Edna, Arthur, Mavis, Moog & Carwash?, 31 Oct 2000
By A Customer
If you're a thirty-something (or a twenty-something with a good memory) then think back to 5:35pm weekdays and a journey into Doily Woods to meet Arthur the caterpillar, Mavis the fairy ("You great fat, fairy person" as Edna sometimes cried), Evil Edna the television, Moog the dog, Carwash the cat, the Beast (who was once a prince), and many others. With Willo the Wisp telling the story, we saw Evil Edna's tricks as she cast her wicked spells on the creatures of Doily Woods, in a series of bizarre and wondrous situations, from Edna's secret love of a TV weatherman, to her plan to turn the gnomes into garden ornaments to sell, and to the Miss Universe competition. All narrated and voiced by the superb Kenneth Williams, Willo the Wisp will take you back to a bygone teatime era of weird and wonderful adventures for the folk of Doily Woods. One for us kids who are now big kids - show it to yours, it's better than most of the nonsense on these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moog-tastic!, 14 May 2010
This review is from: Willo The Wisp [DVD] (DVD)
This is the one to get. The transfer (sound and picture quality) on this disc are near-faultless. Why can't all classic kids TV programmes be given this treatment?

Willo the Wisp is great, and bizarre. What makes it are the fantastic "voices" of Kenneth Williams.

The Moog and Car Wash (the most stupid, and most clever inhabitants of Dolly Woods respectively) are classic characters. e.g. When Evil Edna had just turned Mavis Cruet into a tree...

Arthur: "I shall give Evil Edna a piece of my mind."
Moog: "Yeah, and I shall give her a piece of my mind too."
Car Wash: "Confidentially Moog, you just can't afford it."

My 3 and 5 years old children adore this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful 70s Nostalgia, 8 Dec 2006
W. Evans "Dr. Beckett" (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Willo The Wisp [DVD] (DVD)
I find I must disagree with the previous reviewer. I think it has aged just fine. I have 3 kids aged between 4 and 10, and they, as well as me, love it.

I'll agree that Keneth Williams is a genius, but not that the story lines haven't aged well. This is pure kids' fantasy, so ageing story lines have very little to do with anything. The animation is very good for its' time too. This DVD is a must for all british kids under 40 yrs of age!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip down memory lane for the child of the 80's, 30 July 2001
This review is from: Willo The Wisp [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I had forgotten how great this series actually was. The tearful, fat fairy Mavis, Evil Edna, Arthur, Carwash and my personal favourite Moog the dog. The animation is classic and the storylines come flying back to you as you watch. Evil Edna is still a fear-inducing figure and Arthur looks a bit like one of the characters from The Magic Rounabout. With twelve episodes on one video it is definitely value for money and believe me-you will want to watch them over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Classics return!, 16 Nov 2008
L. Johnson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Willo The Wisp [DVD] (DVD)
This brilliant classic cartoon returned to the screens on Nick Jr and my little boy was in instant fan. Got him this dvd set as he loves to watch willo and his friends and fab price too!! Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, 25 Sep 2007
This review is from: Willo The Wisp [DVD] (DVD)
In recent years, there has been much discussion as to whether The Sopranos, or perhaps The Wire, can claim to be The Greatest Television Ever Made.

They can't, wonderful as they are. It is a little known fact that the high-point of art on the small screen was reached in 1981, right here in the UK. And this is it.

Nothing, (I find), is quite as sublime as watching The Moog exclaim "My name is The Moog. And I...Am...An...Elephant!!!"

Kenneth Williams was a genius and this is, oddly enough, probably his finest legacy. Delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously a must, 17 Sep 2000
By A Customer
Who could resist the temptation - the COMPLETE Willo the Wisp. Fantastic. Cower as Evil Edna jumps out from behind the trees, laugh as Arthur tries to help Mavis fly and wonder at why Moog can't and definitely shouldn't think!
Fantastically wacky and a must for those who loved it when young. Show it to the kids too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of the better times, 15 Aug 2011
There are times when that little pocket money we have these days can bring so much happiness!

I remember mum renting the video for me over and over and over again. I reckon she was sick fed up of doing that, but I was hooked. That was 20 years ago!

You know what its like when you spend that much time online, you just happen to stumble stuff that you adore.. Work this out, looking at Wikipedia for an article on "Archimedes", from there I get to solar flares to plasma to st elmos flares and then will-o'-the-wisp. What came to mind then ? you guessed it, Willo! Roll in memories of the great voice of late Williams.

What a wonderful DVD to have for oneself and for the kids. Its wonderful to see them watching something else other than the usual boring stuff they are flooded with these days.

Now looking for series two, which doesn't have Williams and there are some minor changes, but I believe it still has the magical tales and spooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it Love it Love it Five stars, 30 Aug 2010
I bought this as a joke when some friends came to dinner, as only one guest was old enough to remember it.... It's brilliant! I loved it when I was a child and I love it even more so now. My friends were thrilled, but more so my 4yr old who keeps asking "Mummy shall we go and have a snuggle and watch Willo the Wisp and Mave"
It's just pure nostalgia and I love the fabulous humour ! when was the last time you heard someone being called a fat fairy !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fantastic Mr Williams, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Willo The Wisp [DVD] (DVD)
This was an old favourite from many years ago. I was thrilled to find it still as refreshing and funny as I remembered it to be. And of course the great Kenneth Williams as the voices of all characters lends to it a brilliance that make Willo the Wisp a joy and a treasure. 'Mavis Cruet you're nothing but a fat fairy' Hillarious! Recommended to all.

Willo The Wisp [VHS]
Willo The Wisp [VHS] by Childrens (VHS Tape - 2000)
11.75