5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of laughs
Ok, so maybe this show has a bad reputation for not being PC, but it was still funny. Was it racist for a man born and raised in India, who spoke Hindi as his first language, to put on face paint and the mannerisms of the poeple his childhood? I don't know... but isn't racism all about intending insult or injury?

Was it more or less racist for men born in...
Published on 6 Nov 2011 by Brian Damage

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not rekindle the affinity with the series.
When the T.V series first came out we watched it and found it funny; but then re-living the experiences of It Ain't Half Hot Mum not so funny .The first and second CD's very humerous but sadly became some what predictable and slow. Windsor Davies's chant of 'shut up' - practically every sentence became more and more annoying. Sorry this did not rekindle the affinity we...
Published 4 months ago by Diana

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of laughs, 6 Nov 2011

Was it more or less racist for men born in Bangladesh and Pakistan, to do the same thing? Who was the more Indian out of these?

Surely racism is all about discrimmation, and treating someone from a different culture as somehow less of a human being.

"It Aint't Half Hot Mum" doesn't do this.

Yes, it uses racial stereotypes, and yes it gets laughs from them, but this wasn't about discrimmination or hate - it was about laughing at our differences. The jokes about shouty Sargeant-Major Tudor Brynne 'Shut Up' Williams are no different to the jokes about the effeminate Bombardier 'Gloria' Beaumont, the well educated 'La-De-Dah' Gunner Graham or Char Wallah Muhammad.

It'll be a sad day when we can't laugh at ourselves and our differences.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ever!!!!, 11 April 2011
T. Dasgupta "tuhin1" (UK) - See all my reviews
It ain't half hot mum is amongst my favorite comedies of all time. Some say it has racist elements - perhaps but me and my family are Indian and we all love it. The quality of the writing is superb and the performances by all the cast are amazing especially Michael Bates who pulls off an amazing central Indian character (being born in India and speaking the lingo helps obviously) and Windsor Davies who I think doesn't get enough credit for his long amazing career. Unlike modern productions - every season is brilliant - there a few continuity errors here and the unforgivable move by the producers of not giving Michael Bates' character a mention when the actor sadly passed away. Even George Layton's character got a mention after he left but apart from that it's a series that I will watch again and again and again without ever getting bored of it. Outstanding!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten Gem!, 7 Oct 2011
One of the greatest sitcoms this country has ever produced, yet it is almost entirely forgotten by the public and programming bosses. It doesn't get the credit or airtime it deserves, most likely due to the "PC brigade" picking fault with the way an Indian-born, Hindi speaking white actor Michael Bates played the native bearer.

This is a must have in any collection, it will keep me laughing for years to come. I was absolutely delighted with the price and the speed of delivery.

I do agree with one of the other reviewers in that the BBC should be ashamed of themselves for using a later series cover photo for the entire collection as it does not feature Michael Bates as Ranji Ram, who was undoubtedly the star of the first few series until he sadly passed away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny sitcom, 3 Feb 2014
A.McGrath - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm glad that despite the best efforts of the PC crazed and hypersensitive oligarchs who seem to have taken over the world in which we now live, and have decided that this sitcom is unsuitable for mainstream TV, we can at least own and view this very funny comedy in the comfort of our homes.

It seems strange, that despite being 'anathema and out of date', the industry that is 'Political Correctness', allows it to be sold and hasn't banned such controversial material from dissemination. Perhaps its high sales rating provides the answer or maybe, normal people don't find it offensive and accept it for what it is, a satire on personal experience. Kenneth Williams describes in this DVD, An Audience With Kenneth Williams, what an officer thought of his concert party in exactly the same way as the sergeant major in this one. Kenneth also makes light of it in the same way.

Back in the world of the sane and balanced, Michael Bates is brilliant as Rangi Ram, he couldn't have been bettered in this role - period! His sad death at the end of Series 5 in 1978 was a great loss to the show. Windsor Davis, as someone once described him, 'the best shouter ever' is also excellent and very funny. Michael Knowles, hilarious. In my opinion Perry and Croft's funniest sitcom.

As a nice extra, 'Whispering Grass' with Messrs Estelle and Davis, the unlikely 1975 UK number-one hit single is also included. This song, along with Laurel and Hardy's 1975 No 2, 'Trail of the Lonesome Pine' always raises a smile. Buy, enjoy and reminisce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Hole Show., 31 July 2011
Bobby Smith (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Oh what heavenly blessings from heaven this is - the adventures of Royal Artillery Concert party in the (yeuch - spit) jungles of India and Burma. What top hole fellows they are, battling against the heat, the flies, those Japanese and even dear old Sergeant Major Shut Up. If you want to see us Englishmen dressing up as women and officers pretending to be clever dickie, then this is the show for you.
Our leading Gunner, Beaumont Gloria, makes a fine woman, it brings tears to the eye when the English dress up as she-maidens from harem. So pretty, she could be married to my sister-in-law, half removed triple cousin.
Then we have little Lofty, a small man with a voice like big water buffalo when seeking female buffalo to mate with - "oh o ho ho".
Other members of fine concert party include Gunner Graham, he with university education at towns of Oxford and Cambridge - where all the English lah dee dahs go to become jolly good fellows.
Gunner Parkins, a man blessed with looks of proud lion, is the jewel in our crown, a man produced from the loins of Sergeant Major Shut Up - or so it says in tea leafs of stinking char urn. What a fine pair of shoulders he has, so rounded, so manly - how the Japanese can ever defeat such people I do not know.
These courageous men are not donkeys led by lions, oh no no no, they are led by two brave men, Captain Ashwood - he with lovely English accent, a chip off the old blocky of Blighty wood and the joyful Colonel Reynolds - a man who loves women, his pipe and passing the buckeroo.
Oh dear me, I have forgotten one missing ingredient in this show, the man who reminds us to do parade ground drill and puts the bull into us. I am talking about our Sergeant Major - a man who should be politician - as he likes sound of own voice very much. Whenever we are late getting up, or taking too long washing painted grease from face he reminds us to "get on parade" or to "move yourselves move yourselves" in way only enraged wild boar does in jungle, when cheetah has taken his dinner.
There is old Hindu proverb, it says "if you have spare English pounds, you must buy this DVD - money will not be wasted...although you may wear out your laughing insides."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great British humour from the days of The Empire., 11 Mar 2012
Political incorrectness at the extreme, but absolutely hilarious. How the cast kept their faces straight whilst performing is beyond comprehension. As an ex-serviceman, RAF and RAAF, I met many people like the RSM, who is portrayed brilliantly. If you can't find a laugh in this show, you won't find a laugh anywhere.

TOM

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great box set., 22 Feb 2012
What a great box set. Better than I remembered it and great value for money entertainment. You can see the characters grow through the years and series. It would be difficult for this to be shown on TV as the PC police would have a field day !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Entertainment, 21 Oct 2013
It's remarkable to think that this comedy series is now some 40 years old. It ran for a staggering seven years which is a very long time for a comedy. There are 56 episodes on here which is really too many and some editing of the poorer episodes would have been beneficial.
My father was in the RAF, in India & Burma in WW11, I recall Mum & Dad chortling over this programme - It clearly had a special meaning to my Dad.
Of course it seems a bit slap stick and dated now in places but as I make my way through it I have had so many `laugh out loud' moments and I'm constantly smiling! It's lovely to watch it all again, though clearly it's going to take a long while to get through it all. Even the non - PC bits just blend in and I didn't find them offensive at all - that's how it was, so just deal with it. Of course we don't want that today but it was war and that was the least of their worries I should think.
Sadly some of the actors have now passed away though the star of the show for me, Windsor Davies, is still here at 83! He isn't in fact Welsh? He was born in Canning Town, London.
Also, interestingly, La -Di -Dah Gunner Graham was actually born in India!
Davies is just wonderful in this and yet was only a co-star, though he clearly stole the show, and what a wonderland voice the much maligned `Lofty' had? This is great fun and still superior to some of the rubbish on these days. The BBC really is frightened of its own shadow in not repeating this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still very funny and well enjoyed., 11 Nov 2011
So far we have seen two of the eight disks, the first two series, 16 episodes. Very funny and at times brilliant humour for us who lived through the 1939 to 1945 war and still see the world through the mirror of those years and times. An oddity in the first disk is that the main episode list has two numbers missing and that these two episodes are to be found on a subsidiary menu as "rescued episodes" supposedly of poor video quality. They were perfectly adequate to watch but we had to be alert to get the viewing in the right order -- which matters as the series situation is set up. A very good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Ain't Half Hot Mum, 22 Nov 2011
I have seen some episodes before buying this product and enjoyed them, so I bought the set. I am very glad I did. The quality of the discs is great, and the series is very funny.

It Ain't Half Hot Mum: Showing The Flag [VHS] [1974]
It Ain't Half Hot Mum: Showing The Flag [VHS] [1974] by Windsor Davies (VHS Tape - 2000)