5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of laughs
Ok, so maybe this show has a bad reputation for not being PC, but it was still funny. Was it racist for a man born and raised in India, who spoke Hindi as his first language, to put on face paint and the mannerisms of the poeple his childhood? I don't know... but isn't racism all about intending insult or injury?

Was it more or less racist for men born in...
Published on 6 Nov 2011 by Brian Damage

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not rekindle the affinity with the series.
When the T.V series first came out we watched it and found it funny; but then re-living the experiences of It Ain't Half Hot Mum not so funny .The first and second CD's very humerous but sadly became some what predictable and slow. Windsor Davies's chant of 'shut up' - practically every sentence became more and more annoying. Sorry this did not rekindle the affinity we...
Published 3 months ago by Diana

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Still very funny and well enjoyed., 11 Nov 2011
So far we have seen two of the eight disks, the first two series, 16 episodes. Very funny and at times brilliant humour for us who lived through the 1939 to 1945 war and still see the world through the mirror of those years and times. An oddity in the first disk is that the main episode list has two numbers missing and that these two episodes are to be found on a subsidiary menu as "rescued episodes" supposedly of poor video quality. They were perfectly adequate to watch but we had to be alert to get the viewing in the right order -- which matters as the series situation is set up. A very good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic BBC Comedy- now cursed by the dreaded PC brigade, 17 Feb 2013
Bought this after xmas 2012, as my two boys had seen a clip on tv and loved it, laughing like drains. I need not have worried- they got the jokes and the whole poking fun at various types (officers ,indians, educated people)... it is a real crime that this is never repeated on tv anymore, thanks to the political correctness brigade, and that generations are missing out on a real classic of a comedy. As a 8 yr old child, my aunt in Bridgend lived upstairs in a block of flats from Windsor Davies' mum and I met him on several occasions with him greeting me as "shoulders back lovely boy"- brilliant and making me star struck!!
The boxset itself is sturdy with 8 disc supplied with 1 series per disc. Series 4 appears a little short on episodes- I assume this is down to the BBC's policy in the early 70's of overwriting tapes to save space (series 4 has only 4 episodes). The quality is excellent, considering the show's age. Sticking in the first disc transported me back to my childhood and sunday evening (when it was shown, I think?).... Is it worth buying/funny - Oh yes!- ok it uses language and phrases that aren't used today, but LAUGH AT IT and take it for what it is- a classic timeless 70s comedy that will make your sides ache from laughing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Aint Half Fun!, 1 Nov 2012
The product arrived within the delivery time and was well packaged and in immaculate condition, as is always the case with Amazon. If you have never caught this before then well worth a look.
If you excuse the non PC in this series then you will love it. Great characters many of whom are sadly no longer with us.
I have yet to see all of these but let me say, they are the boys to entertain you!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great comedy at the core despite the controversial setting, 9 Aug 2014
Jonathan Edney (UK) - See all my reviews
This series was immensly popular in the 1970 and is classic British farce. Unfortunately it was branded racist partly due to the fact that Michael Bates, a white actor, played the part of an indian using brown make-up. It should be noted that Bates was born and brought up in India and spoke fluent Urdu and was able to affect Indian manerisms with accuracy. Although there are many running jokes that might offend today's sensibilities, these need to be seen in the context of the culture at that time and my view is that, unlike contemporary comedies such as "Love thy neighbour", the core of this humour is human nature and not race. Every member of the cast gets made fun of in their turn. It is very much in the genre of "Dad's Army" and "Hi-de-hi" - two other Perry and Croft series.
Personally I love this series and find the humour warm and simple and representive of a less sophisicated time.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Ain't half Hot Mum Complete Collection, 9 Jan 2013
I ordered this after having it in my Basket/Wish List on noticing the price dropping to £19.00 I ordered it arrived in good time and well Packaged
So one quiet night out it comes and what a pleasure to see this classic series playing it on my Blu-Ray Player and Sony Bravia TV and clear and had me laughting from start too finish so after 3 episodes I went off chuckling and sing along to the Theme Tune...

I am looking forward to playing this series over time and enjoying a classic great TV Classic collection recommend that you get this for your collection fantastic show that in my Opinion has stood the test of Time, great time to watch this with all the rain and dark days currently outside.

Definately a five star cast and series do not miss out !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Gunner, 3 Mar 2012
Mr. J. J. Martin "gunner" (liverpool England) - See all my reviews
I missed it on TV and saw it was going in a bargain box.If there is anyone in the same circumstances, it is worth getting,if you saw it on TV you will know if you want to see it again

5.0 out of 5 stars It ain't half hot mum, dvd, 14 Feb 2014
Brilliant to watch and a good Saturday night filler when there is nothing on the box - as usual. Good old fashioned humour, sadly lost in this day and age now all the good script writer have gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars For serious laughter, 20 Dec 2012
Mr. & Mrs. D (Santa Monica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
As much as we enjoy and replay the other Perry and Croft series, this is the one for belly laughs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past, 3 Dec 2012
I thought I would be hiding behind the sofa because, along with the laughs, would be the guilt at racism. Not a bit of it. The humour stands up fabulously and the laughs at the expense of the Brits whose rule is coming to an end are spot on. As well as being funny and full of wonderfully talented actors it is worth watching as a an historical document.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Aint Half Good Auntie., 26 Jun 2013
What a superb show with great writing and acting from the cast. it is a gem, funny, characterful and quirky.
I am heartily sorry that it wont be repeated on TV- it is set during WW2 and the attitudes reflected those times I am certain. What might not be so amusing set in the present day, produced series after series of charm and laughter in context of the times. Michael Bates was born in India, and the entire cast meld perfectly together. It is a gem of a production, and I was sorry to read up on those who have passed away. I met Chris a few times, so it is funny to see him as a younger actor. And what a smashing tribute to him, and all the cast. Put a bit of seasoning into your viewing- it aint half good!

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

It Ain't Half Hot Mum: Meet The Gang [VHS] [1974]
It Ain't Half Hot Mum: Meet The Gang [VHS] [1974] by Windsor Davies (VHS Tape - 2000)
Used & New from: £1.15