5.0 out of 5 stars An endearing and amusing film - an odessy of a little man, 1 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
When James Bolan and Alison Steadman are in the cast I always expect a good programme - I was not disappointed here. This story about a postman's reaction to the cancellation of his cycle delivery route travels the length of Britain. I first saw this when I was living in the Netherlands - where programmes showing the British countryside were always welcome. But the real delight in the programme is the charming, funny, poingnant story which follows the surprising development of a small group of people as a result of one redundancy. I don't believe you can watch it without a smile on your face and a lump in your throat.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best stories ever told, 16 April 2003
David Pillinger "tezzertog1962" (Stroud Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
Both of Mark Wallington's books which I have seen televised have been treated with appropriate respect by the small screen.
Clive Peacock is a quiet little man who has been a postman for thirty five years when new technology forces him into early retirement.
Unable to face the idea of a life of metal detecting or carving decoy ducks like some of his other retired aquaintances he finds himself stealing his last mail collection and cycling all over Britain to deliver it personally.
The missing postman becomes a matter of interest in the media and Clive finds himself chased everywhere by a posse of reporters, most of whom completely miss the point, thinking that Clive is making a protest for workers rights, wheras in reality he's just delivering the mail because that's what he likes doing.
Sounds pretty lame, but it isn't. It's brilliant. Right at the top of the tree. Combines the right mix of comedy, drama, melancholy and social commentary without excessive sentimentality and without preaching. Exquisite.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cog strikes back!, 4 Aug. 2009
L. S. Van Meer "Roadrunner" (Torquay, Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
I first saw this when it was broadcast and many times since. Amusing, funny and poignant by turn its a story about one man and his kick-back against the big machine simply because he wants to carry on doing his job. Someone is missing a great opportunity by not releasing this on DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars The show, and not the VHS, 26 Jun. 2011
J. Mero (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
I didn't catch this one till it was well into the series because it sounded a bit daft. Great mistake, because this show is sheer delight with top performance all around, charming story, and gorgeous settings.
ABC in Australia had it on years ago, and when my mate told me a bit more about it I was hooked.
One scene I remember well is when he chucks his mobile phone in the creek, and we see it slowly sink to the bottom. A thought-provoking gesture in our over-communicative world where people talk much but say little.
Others have described the content, I only want to join the chorus that want this one transfered to disk, as my VHS machines have packed up, and I have given up on the format.
So ITV, BBC, or whoever produced this show, don't miss the opportunity to rake in on this little gem. It will go like hotcakes!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Joy to Watch, 18 Jun. 2001
This review is from: The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
Being a postman myself I really appreciated this film, as the post mail centre where I work was mentioned. But it was so real to life and I was engrossed all the time that I watched it, and I have now watched it several times over. Great actor James, I think he would make a typical postman.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Postman (VHS), 8 May 2009
This review is from: The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997] This is a great film. A pity it is not more widely available. Great comedy and very era nostalgic. Readily recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars What was asked for - a speedy delivery, 21 July 2009
This review is from: The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
Fortunately unlike the postman in the video, this video was not delivered by bike!! It arrived in good time - thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars I found it fantastic, 23 Feb. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
i would recomment this video to anyone and i would also recommend that this show is suitable for anyone.

The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997]
The Missing Postman [VHS] [1997] by Alan Dossor (VHS Tape - 2000)