Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 July 2011
A bit suprised that no one else has added a review to this gem of a re-issue from those wonderful people at Esoteric Records. Nothing much needs to be said about the music really other than it has a unique charm and warmth about the album as a whole and that distinctive voice and guitar playing even back in 1971. This re-release is superbly presented with an expanded booklet and remastered in such a way so as not to detract from the album's original character (ie it hasn't just had the volume levels cranked up to cater for the ipod generation). Bill Nelson fans will have already snapped this up but if you are remotely interested in the genius that is Bill Nelson but haven't bought this yet then buy with confidence now. You'll love it.
on 7 January 2012
I first bought this album on vinyl reissue on the Butt record label in 1980, as I had previously got into some Be Bop Deluxe after buying their 1975 Futurama LP. This was Bill's first album, recorded in the very basic Holyground 'recording studio' in the north of England.

Only around 250 copies were pressed and released, on the Smile label, with gatefold sleeve.

It was recorded in mono (which adds to the charm I think), and although it doesn't reflect his later, more intricate and far-reaching work with Be Bop Deluxe (being folk-rock orientated as it is), it's a timeless piece of music, which I still play regularly to this day......it doesn't seem to age at all.
I also bought the CD issue on the 'Smiled' label a few years ago, and recently got hold of an oringinal 1971 copy of the LP, number 116, which sadly was unplayable......so my 1980 LP reissue copy is now housed in the original 1971 LP sleeve, sad I know, but hey ho, it's a lovely work, no matter what format it's on!
Have now ordered the remastered Cocteau label issue, 'cos I've been reliably informed that the first CD issue on 'Smiled Records' was a pretty shoddy mastering job, with lots of the bottom end lost, or so I'm told?
on 17 November 2011
The liner notes and lyrics included with the CD are informative, and tell you a little of the history and recording of Northern Dream. You will enjoy listening to, and learning about this masterpiece, you will be swept back to 1970s Yorkshire. The re-mastering is considerate, and the feel and overall ambient mood still shine through.
on 15 November 2011
Having been a fan of Bill Nelson since a mate lent me Futurama in 1975, this was always on my shopping list, I longed to get my hands on that first independent album that kick started Bill's career.

I did get my hands on a vinyl copy in the late 70's, from a postal (pre-internet days)auction site in America, I instantly loved it. I haven't played any vinyl for years now, the lazy option is to always put a CD on, so the opportunity to add this remastered copy to my collection of Bebop Deluxe and Bill remamsters was too good to pass up.

The moment I put it on I was taken back 30 years, this is just a superb album, beautifully crafted songs with the poetic lyrics only Bill can write. It is hard to pull out favourites but I'll try, Bloo Blooz has always been a favourite song of mine, then the Free styled Everyone's Hero, End of Seasons, Love's Away and the instrumental title track. For a primitive first record made in a room it is just brilliant, I just want to keep playing it over and over again.

The beauty of this remaster is the sleeve notes written by Bill himself explaining all about the recording of the original which are very inciteful.

My vinyl original is now signed by Bill, it will never be played again, this CD however will never be far away from my player.
on 21 September 2015
Early recordings from the career of Bill Nelson prior to the formation of Be Bop Deluxe. There are plenty of hints & clues on here of what was to come from the guitar maestro. All in all, a pretty decent début album.
on 31 July 2011
To have this remastered is a dream come true. It's a wonder that it was never re-recorded after Bill had some real money coming in. I hadn't heard it for over 20 years but, I knew it, note-for-note, as soon as it hit the player.
on 22 October 2015
Very enjoyable music from a very capable, intelligent musician
on 7 September 2014