Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£9.90+ £2.80 shipping

on 30 December 2000
I have to agree with the previous review. This version is by far much better than the 1999-one with Gwyneth Paltrow. This is charming and entertaining adaption with many layers in the story (as Jane Austen's novel) while the newer adaption focus on famous actors and pretty scenes.
on 23 August 2007
I love this version. i had only seen the Gwyneth Paltrow version before and was dissapointed with it but this more than makes up for it by letting the viewer pick up on the Churchill/Fairfax relationship before our heroine does. The Eltons are very well played and i enjoyed seeing Mr Knightleys brothers appearance in this one - he didn't seem as out of place. So much is included in this adaptation from the book it is a delight to watch; a real feel-good ,ending.

highly recommended
on 23 August 2007
Having seen and own both the Kate Beckinsale and Gwyneth Paltrow versions. I must say that I like them both and have seen them more then once.
This version has the Regency look and feel and I rather like Mark Strong performance of Mr Knightley. Andrew Davies has done a wonderful job on the screen play as he almost often does.
Anyone that enjoys Jane Austen will enjoy this production. A must have for anyones DVD collection.
on 25 August 2005
I'm a big J.A fan, (I haven't seen the Gwyneth Paltrow version though I understand its very good) I can definitely recommend this version with Kate Beckinsale. She is a typical English Rose anyway, but her acting is very good, Mark Strong is GORGEOUS as Knightly almost on a par with Colin Firth (who lets face it as Darcy is just mouth watering!)The acting, the set and pace of the story are really good I thoroughly enjoyed it, and think it was a realistic and good quality adaption of the novel. Hope you do too!! x
on 20 April 2007
This is a brilliant adaptation of what many may call Austen's "masterpiece." It's not hard to fall in love with the adaptation as the cast is very good (with Kate & Mr Knightley)really giving it their all. However, there are characters/actors like Mr Churchill who seemed just seemed a tad wrong for the role (a bit slippery). Samantha Morton seemed out of place too but it's covered up quite well by the supporting cast. I think that Ewan & the 'other' Harriet (paltrow version) would have very much completed this adaptation. Jane Fairfax is absolutely stunning! Mr Knightley from this version really gives Mr Northam a real run for his money. I feel Mr Northam could have worked in this version too (but Kate's Mr Knightley is quite handsome even with the weird hairline!)
on 11 February 2001
This is a superb filming of 'Emma', with exquisite acting from everyone in the cast. The Paltrow version cannot hold a candle to this 'Emma'. A five-star rating only begins to do justice to it.
VINE VOICEon 11 August 2013
I was going to avoid this film as I was I was under the impression that it would be contemporary with period dress. However, I decided to give it a go. Well I am pleasantly surprised to find that Jane Austin shows through on the film. Not maybe the heavy satirical Jane but the one I came to like in such films as "Sense and Sensibility" (1995).

It is rural 1800s England. Young Emma Woodhouse (Gwyneth Paltrow) accidentally brings two people together to make a perfect match. Now she knows her avocation; it is a propensity to make other perfect matches. While rather poorly perusing her avocation she is unaware of her own feelings for her best friend and mentor, Mr. Knightley (Jeremy Northam).

Of course we know what is going on from the get go. However it is fun anticipating Emma's mistakes and waiting for the lights to come on in this comedy of manners.

Sense and Sensibility [Blu-ray]
on 10 March 2008
own both this and the Paltrow version & have also watched the nasty 1972 Doran Godwin version, but I must say I much prefer this one. I feel Beckenslade portrays Emma very well & it does have a more 'English' feel about it. The Paltrow one has the more sumptuous Hollywood feel, but nice in it's own way. I only own the Paltrow version for the gorgeous Mr Knightly. However if you were to have only 1 version then the Beckenslade one is the one to own.
on 28 July 2008
so much better than the gwyneth paltrow version!!!
if you are not sure which version to buy - please go with this one
on 20 April 2002
In my opinion this is the best adaptation of Emma for the screen we have seen. I can watch this film again and again and not be bored by it, Kate Beckinsale is truly brilliand as Emma and the other characters were just as I had pictured them from reading the book - well worth every penny!