4.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, blu-ray not brilliant
This is one of my favourite films, and I now have it in three versions. I won't review the film as such, because others do it better, but mention has of course to go to the magnificent shoot-out. I could watch that again and again.

Published on 6 Dec 2009 by E. Smith

Published on 25 Nov 2009 by Martin Andersen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, blu-ray not brilliant, 6 Dec 2009
E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Anyway, to the blu-ray: The picture quality is better than DVD, but certainly not reference material. I was pretty disappointed by the sound, to be honest. I have a fairly decent system set quite loud, but found the dialogue to be quite indistinct at times. I also felt that the background music was simply too low in places. However, the shoot-out was pretty good, with glass tinkling at my feet, but the airport scene had the best effects, with massive LFE from taxi-ing planes and great directional effects from take-offs and landings.

Is it worth the upgrade? If you love the film like many do, you'll buy it anyway, as I did. I don't regret it, but feel that it can still get better, which means yet another upgrade in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Film - 3 Star Blu-Ray Conversion!, 9 Jan 2013
I agree with almost every other review written here. This is one top class film - plot, cast, action, dialogue, character development... you name it, brilliant!

However, this is a prime example of poor quality Blu-Ray conversion, does not do the format much justice at all. Seems as though it has been rushed through the conversion process far too quickly.

1) The sound quality is lacking. This is particularly noticeable during loud action sequences, for example, even within the first 10 minutes during the fantastic 'secured car hold-up' scene - when the articulated lorry hits the van there is shocking sound quality: harsh and crackly, detracts from the film really. Gun shot sounds don't pack much punch either!
2) Picture quality is good but not what I'd expect from a Blu-Ray - particularly grainy in low light scenes (first noticeable in the enquiry Al Pacino's character makes after the hold-up).

Overall I am pleased because I now own my first copy of this film after a friend introduced me to it. But I am slightly disappointed that the film is not up to the usual high quality standard to be expected from a Blu-Ray! Hencce, 4 stars!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a total disappointment of a Blu-Ray! :( There should be laws against treating such a *great* movie like this!, 25 Nov 2009
Martin Andersen (Bergen, Norway) - See all my reviews
This release truly was a gargantuan disappointment. "Heat" is one of my all-time favorites and Michael Mann one of my favorite directors. I actually did not have huge expectations to this first incarnation of Heat on Blu-Ray--knowing the problems that exist on both the original 1999 DVD release (which I might add was pretty ok at the time, but not by today's standards) and the subsequent 2005 "Special Edition" (which had some interesting extras and commentary, but no change to the feature itself.)

But I mean honestly, I am in awe that not only does this disc have basically _the same_ audio track (re-encoded into Dolby TrueHD)--complete with the same muffled audio which for the most part totally lacks any kind of force, and dialogue which in some places is so low it borders on being ridiculous.
I can honestly say that it had no improvement, whatsoever, over the Japanese DTS edition which was released a couple of years back (which also is far from perfect.)

Ok, granted. The audio is not 100%--that I might be able to live with. After all--this is close to being my favorite movie. However, it also has received a *minimal* upgrade on the video side.

No, I am not referring to the inherent film grain. This disc has many scenes which look like they are taken straight off the original DVD and upscaled to 1080p. The lack of detail is most prominent when pausing the movie at certain scenes. Background detail also varies strongly throughout. Yes, it is a Blu-Ray and obviously it will look better than the DVD but I have a quite respectable stack of older movies which completely puts this release in the dust. The bitrate is for the most part around 15-22Mbit/s, peaking at just under 30 in some cases; but seldom reaching this point.

Just to illustrate that minimal care has been given to the video aspect, note that it even has the _exact same_ color-change problem which occurs after Amy Brenneman's character (Eady) hangs up the phone with McCauley / De Niro (at 54:32)

While this is all bad enough, later on I actually notice that some of the dialogue has been *CUT OUT*. (Why haven't other reviewers noticed this?) Specifically where Diane Venora's character (Justine) is talking to Vincent Hanna / Pacino after the office party has ended. From the passage below, the first part ("you sift through the detritus") has been omitted(!). I actually had to rewind to verify this, as this kind of thing is pretty unusual, and not something I've noticed on any of the previous DVD versions:

"You sift through the detritus, you read the terrain, you search for signs of passing, for the scent of your prey ... and then you hunt them down. That's the only thing you're committed to. The rest is the mess you leave as you pass through."

Just to make it clear--this was not some one-off problem with my disc or equipment causing it to skip ahead at that particular juncture. No drop-outs to the digital audio signal was witnessed either.

To me, cutting out dialogue (especially something as relevant and beautifully phrased) in such a fashion is completely baffling. I don't know what on earth happened to this release while it was mastered on Blu-Ray, but this just topped it all off and prompted me to eject the disc. I could not bear to see what other flaws or edits it might have been subjected to.

I might add that, never once have I not watched this movie to the end. And I have watched it probably 30 times. But this was truly an abysmal experience. Warner, are you listening? You have plenty of other awe-inspiring releases, and some which are decades older than this one which look (and some which sound) a zillion times better--Superman, North by Northwest, The Road Warrior, Bullitt, The Dirty Dozen--to name a few.

After I submit this review I will create a return request for this item. I urge all others who truly love this movie to do the same; and not put up with what is basically a repackaged & cut version of the original DVD.

What a waste of a truly great disc format.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film let down by poor sound, 26 Nov 2012
Simon Nicholas (Kent) - See all my reviews
I've just bought the steelbook version of this, having previously owned the DVD. The picture quality is great, as you'd expect. Unfortunately the film is still dogged by poor sound levels. I must've adjusted the volume at least 30 times during the film - and even had to put subtitles on for some of it. Very disappointing - though not wholly unexpected to be honest. Heat - Premium Collection Steelbook (Blu-ray + UV Copy)[Region Free]

5.0 out of 5 stars Stone cold classic, 9 Jun 2005
Mr. Warren M. Fisher (East Grinstead, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Featuring cinema's greatest ever shoot-out, this remains among my favourite films of all time. Beyond the expertly staged action set pieces, lies a multi-layered plotline with a teeming cast of believable characters and mood of tragic portent. The existential torment of the charcters is played out against an LA landscape that is itself a character - indeed the city has never looked as stunning and alluring.
The disc comes jam-packed with extras to please the die-hard fan, including a series a exhaustive documentaries charting the creation of this landmark movie.
A visceral and emotional thriller that stands alone as a stone cold classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars The action will make you thirsty and hungry, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Heat [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
A long but actively entertaining film, though it has no real suspense since we know the end will be gory and glorious, for LAPD of course.

You take too actors that are so close physically that you can hardly make out who is the cop and who is the thief. They also behave so much the same way that you can't even distinguish their shadows or their outlines on the blue sky of LA.

You just have to follow the action and action there is with a tremendous number of collateral victims and collateral damage. The more broken glass and the more banged up metal, the better and the only thing that does not crash in that film is a plane or a helicopter, but apart from those and ships everything else crashes at one time or other in the action.

So take it the way it comes and let yourself go into this action that has been copied a lot. Some scenes are so common that even "Prison Break" used them and, true enough, rejuvenated them a little. It is like the shower scene of "Psycho." It has been used so much that the descent of it is more important than all the plays by Shakespeare, Marlowe and Ben Jonson thrown together on the table. Though I must admit there are not very many prostitutes in this film.

Well, we can't have them all, after all.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU

5.0 out of 5 stars One of The cinema greats, 7 Nov 2009
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Heat is a formidable movie. Pacino + DeNiro + Mann = magic!

Super criminal versus super cop, both with knowledge that their lifestyles revolve around their chosen professions and nothing else is really allowed to get in the way. As the movie goes on we see what each will sacrifice in order to do what they do.

Possible the greatest shoot out ever? You decide but for me it is to date.

Transfer is good - not show off material, but well worth an upgrade. The DVD looks awful on a big TV - this does not.

The audio on the DVD wasn't up to much and I did struggle to hear Jon Voight but now we a TrueHD track that's crystal clear. I have my amp set to actively stop large peaks in the sound but if I turned it off I would guess that the shootout would have the neighbours around pretty sharpish!

Languages: English TrueHD; English DD; Castilian Spanish 5.1 French 5.1 German 5.1 Dolby surround; Brazilian Portuguese Stereo 2.0

Region Free

I hope Collateral is just around the corner too?

5.0 out of 5 stars Slick and impressive crime drama, 21 Jun 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heat [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
Michael Mann's 1995 film is more than just the long overdue screen appearance of Pacino and De Niro together. It's true it was a selling point (and pushed heavily in the promo stage) it's good to see both in action, but that doesn't make a good film on it's own.

For starters you have a very strong supporting cast including Val Kilmer, Jon Voight, Tom Sizemore, Ashley Judd, all of whom put in solid performances.
The story is simple enough Neil McCauley (De Niro) heads a gang who are rather fond of robbery, but they're an experienced outfit and know their stuff, the film kicks off with an armoured car robbery..but thing go too far when a gang member Waingro (played menacingly by Kevin Gage) turns a robbery into a murder investigation after killing the guards.

Lt. Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino) heads up the investigation, and what follows is a clever and compelling cat and mouse game between himself and Neil, trying to outsmart each other at every turn. Neil decides to do one big last robbery and his crew agree, but Vincent is onto the gang and is out to stop them.

What follows is probably the best action robbery sequence to take place in a film (that I've seen), a sizzling 10 minutes of full on white knuckle action... just on it's own worth the price of entry. Even today I'm still impressed at this segment.

Though the two main members are at opposites, one a criminal and one a cop, there is a mutual respect between the men and Mann manages to capture this in some good scenes, esp one where De Niro is pulled over and Pacino takes him for a coffee.

There are some side plots, Pacino's on the ropes marriage and De Niro finds a new love interest, both at odds with the life the men lead. Pacino does have his usual rage scene (and he's good at it in a way few actors are) Eventually it's a show down between the two men one on one, I found the ending quite unusual and very welcomed it's not quite what you would think and the better for it in my view.

Mann has a way of directing that's full on intense and polished, he's able to really ramp up the drama to epic levels, backed up by his many time award winning cinematographer Dante Spinotti, the results are impressive and take things to a level many directors couldn't. Sound work is also excellent, as is the screenplay. I find the script good, more natural and rather less clichéd then some (people talking to each other in a normal way), you can attach to the characters quite well (all of them not just the lead two)

I like Mann's slightly OTT direction it pushes things hard and makes for a strong viewing experience.
It's true some complain the story might drag on a little longer than it could, there are some non essential scenes that could have got the chop, but as a package overall you can't help but be impressed.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little warmth and a whole lotta cold., 15 Jun 2014
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Heat is not above criticism. I've put off reviewing this film for a long time as I know any negative comments will provoke an angry response from people who are blind to any faults. It's a good film, but it is far from perfect.

Pacino and DeNiro are cop and crook who go head-to-head over a major heist. They have many similarities, and could otherwise have been friends, only they are on opposite sides of the same coin - both cerebral, cunning, and crafty. Attempts at juxtaposing their lives come across as a little indulgent, but it's a crime epic, with lots of characters and cameos, so the running time has to be filled-up with something.

I just wish the dialogue wasn't so clipped and the editing so inconsistent. The movie has a naturalistic feel, meaning a lot words sound mumbled, and characters seems to come and go with no orientation given to the viewer. I am not saying that Michael Mann should pander to all audiences and dumb down the material, but a middle ground could have been found.

Mann shoots LA with wide-open empty spaces and stays high above the city for the most part, giving it a cold, alienating feel. Dante Spinotti's photography is raw and filter-free, and all locations are real with not a single soundstage used (although there are a couple of obvious green screen shots). It gives you a view of LA not typically seen in movies.

For a 170-minute it doesn't pay-off much considering the talent. There is a great 125-minute movie desperate to get out of Heat. The movie as it is has a lot of fat and you'll have to endure it if you want to see what all the fuss is about.

The Blu-ray is very underwhelming in 2.40:1 1080p with lots of weak blacks and a general DVD feel to it. For such a lauded and successful film Warner's effort here is very poor. The sound fares better in Dolby TrueHD (remember that?) and there are ZERO extras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heat, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Heat [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
Received in excellent order and what a bloody good film with excitement and thrills to keep you engaged and watching, brilliant and enjoyed from start to finish.

Heat [VHS] [1996]
Heat [VHS] [1996] by Michael Mann (VHS Tape - 1999)
2.90