5.0 out of 5 stars Victor Hugo's « Les Misérables » version Claude Lelouch
I just love this film and I still haven't made up my mind, whether I prefer Victor Hugo's "Les Misérables" with Lino Ventura as Jean Valjean to Claude Lelouch's version with Jean-Paul Belmondo as Jean Valjean or vice-versa.
Published on 26 Aug. 2007 by sinenomine

2.0 out of 5 stars All the other reviews are wrong!!!
The people who wrote these reviews seem to be talking about a video version of the musical. But THIS film with Jean-Paul Belmondo actually has nothing to do with the musical! So what did I think of it? Not a lot. It's an interesting idea & there are some good scenes but I'm afraid I lost interest after the first 2 hrs
Published on 6 Mar. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Victor Hugo's « Les Misérables » version Claude Lelouch, 26 Aug. 2007
The film, which tells a kind of 20th century version of "Les Misérables", refers along the whole movie to Victor Hugo's "Les Misérables". Moreover in the film Henri Fortrin II watches an old film of "Les Misérables" as a child, when he lives at Guillaume's inn with his mother, and later on in the film he watches another version of "Les Misérables" (during World War II when he is with the guys of the Résistance).
The actors are absolutely top! My prefered one, besides Jean-Paul Belmondo of course, is Annie Girardot. She seems to live her role (Françoise, the farmer's wife). Her acting is so wonderful, she has such an expressive face. You can read on her face when Françoise feels guilty.
What I appreciate very much too, is the way Lelouch uses the melody of "It's a Long Way to Tipperary". First the girls play it joyfully at the convent, they seem to anticipate the landing of the Allies in Normandie. A little later in the film, when the landing has begun, the film music consists just of the hummed melody when the girls are in the cellar where they have gone for protection. It then sounds like a kind of prayer, very soft, but it becomes gradually louder and louder, it is still sung without words, on something like la-la-la. By this means Lelouch makes us get aware of the changing situation, the hope has become reality.
When you are familiar with "Les Misérables" by Victor Hugo this is a wonderful film, when you are not familiar with them, you had better watch "Les Misérables" with Lino Ventura or read the book before watching "Les Misérables" in the Claude Lelouch version. Otherwise you will probably loose most of it.
I don't know what this DVD edition is like, I live in the French speaking aera and therefore watched the movie in French without subtitles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why, O Why........., 17 April 2012
E. Jackson "Ernie Jackson" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Miserables [VHS] [1996] (VHS Tape)
Why, O Why has there been no UK dvd release of this masterpiece ? There is obviously a large following of people who are more than willing to try films from other countries. The recent popularity of Scandinavian films and TV series together with the success of many French films must give an indication of the potential of other good quality European films. It can't be simply the unwillingness of people who don't want to read sub-titles. The films of China and Korea are a popular niche market nowadays.
I have this on VHS but the only dvd copy I have seen was in France and did not have the luxury of English sub-titles. It's a shame that this wonderful film is not available to a wider audience. I'll keep waiting for a sub-titled version on dvd to be released in the UK but I have a feeling I may be in for a long wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy The DVD Version if you can't speak French!, 16 Aug. 2010
Stephen J. Ansell "Designer" (Kilmore, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
To me, this film is among the most important of our time. It beautifully illustrates both sides of our humanity. I rank it up with THE GREAT DICTATOR as a social commentary of how we can excel or denigrate ourselves and others. Belmondo's performance is of the highest standard, though the entire cast performs magnificently ... we can all learn much about nobility from this epic film.

My only regret is that it is not available on DVD or Blu-Ray with English subtitles, so I was forced to buy the VHS version (an excellent transfer) and back it up for my personal use. I'd much rather have a comprehensive pure digital edition with cast bio's and documentary of the making of this film.

Finally - I saw this film for the first time in an old Art Deco cinema in Melbourne Australia. It was on the occasion of my first date with the woman who is now my wife. That film will stay in our hearts forever for the emotion attached to it and our sharing in such a life changing experience so early in our friendship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 16 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Les Miserables [VHS] [1996] (VHS Tape)
A fantastic film! I was deeply touched by this wonderful film, it tells the tale of a great man who aids a jewish family flee the country during the second world war. Probably the best film of the year!!! (french with english subtitles)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this film, 4 Feb. 2014
J. Macfarlane (NE England) - See all my reviews
I lobe this film. I love jean-Paul belmondo's lived in face. Such a sad story - I dare you to watch it to the end without crying,

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Brilliance, 21 May 2013
David A. Haines "highland lad" (Australia) - See all my reviews
Was lucky to see this on Australian television with English subtitles. It is an unforgettable emotional roller-coaster, beautifully filmed and superbly acted. Why is there not a subtitled version of this magnificent film available on DVD? Such a shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT the MUSICAL, I hate musicals!, 23 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Les Miserables [VHS] [1996] (VHS Tape)
That silly person up there was not conned into buying anything, it was a mistake made the ppl at amazon uk, mistakes happen. Why on earth would you waste your time to write a review of this film, silly person. Now back to the film, I saw this late one night when I couldn't sleep, I did not sleep...this film is great. Sad, funny, heartfelt, brutal and a lot more...I'm now going to buy this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars unforgettable, 11 Aug. 2007
Lubica Spacova "The European" (Australia) - See all my reviews
I recommend this movie to anyone, who is fan of European cinematography and is sick and tired of american war movies full of blood and shooting.This movie is trully unforgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of a film and very useful teaching aid!, 25 Aug. 2013
Mrs. SM ELLIS (Yorkshire , England) - See all my reviews
Excellent film. I would lie English sub-titles as well as French for the hard of hearing. I never tire of watching it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Dec. 2014
Great

Les Miserables [VHS] [1996]
Les Miserables [VHS] [1996] by Claude Lelouch (VHS Tape - 2002)
Used & New from: £13.99