Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: VHS TapeChange
Price:£9.95+ £2.80 shipping

on 17 March 2009
Compared to the 10th anniversary edition, this new 2009 release (ignore the [1995] designation in Amazon's listing) has very noticeably better picture quality. There is greater detail but, more importantly, the colour grading is far more accurate. Well worth paying the extra money for, with or without the extra features.
11 comment193 of 194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2009
This new special edition of Pride and Prejudice is well worth the money I paid for it. Finally the colour has returned to the world of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy with breathtaking results. I own the 10th Anniversary Edition as well, the Special Edition easily beats it in every way. This is the best adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and it has now been given the treatment it deserves!
0Comment99 of 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2002
I can't say I've ever enjoyed a Jane Austen adaptation as much as this one in my entire life! The whole series is an absolute delight from start to finish.
Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle portray the lead characters of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett perfectly. Never has Lizzie been so pretty, witty or charming nor has Darcy ever been so brooding, mysterious or handsome as in this series. The chemistry between the leads is electric and the sparks certainly fly in one of the best romantic love stories ever told.
The fact that the writer's have taken the step of showing more of a background for Darcy also helps the viewer appreciate what a good and kind man he really is all along, rather than, as in other adaptations, he appears to suddenly change into being nice.
The casting of Julia Sawahla as the selfish, stupid Lydia Bennett was also inspired. She carried off a difficult role so well that in the end you still have to like her for all her faults.
As for the rest of the cast - there wasn't one that let the series down one tiny bit. Notably, David Bamber as Mr. Collins was suitably sweaty and snivelling, Alison Steadman as Mrs. Bennett was fantastically highly strung, Adrian Lukis as Wickham was a suave villan and Anna Chancellor's, Miss. Bingley was deliciously nasty.
If I could give the rating more stars I would. It's an absolute must for all Jane Austen fans and if you're not a fan already then watch this and you will be!
22 comments105 of 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2002
I hate myself for not discovering this brilliant BBC 1995 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice any sooner then this Easter. Since buying it, I've watched it hundreds of times and am still fancinated by it every time I watch it again! I was never into period drama, but by this film, I am truly humbled to call it a 'one off'.
It is challenging enough a task already to turn such a famous much loved novel into a film, but to a film that is as high quality as the book, it's extraordinary! The producers have truly done a good job, as well as doing the novel justice.
This film is perfect in every aspect, as well as being completely faithful to the novel itself, the choice of location, the costumes, the acting, the dances, the music, the script and choice of cast, especially the leading man and woman, Colin Firth as Mr Darcy and Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennet, is outstanding! Ehle really has the talent in bringing out that liveliness, wit and spirit of Austen's favourite heroine, and surely nothing can show Darcy's deep hidden affections better than Firth's 'come to bed' eyes.
However, despite the beautiful graphics menu, I would like to comment on how annoying the rolling of credits are, at the beginning and end of each episodes on the DVD format. 'The Making Of...'on the DVD also disappointed me slightly as there's no interviews with the two main characters. However, despite the minor shortcomings, a 'big thumbs up' to Pride and Prejudice 1995.
The price may be expensive for a DVD, but believe me, ...for an experience of a lifetime is definately worth it!
Overcome your prejudices, P&P is not just for the over 30s, I've just turned 17, and am already a proud owner of this exceptional 1995 adaptation on both the VHS and DVD format. When will you be?
Let this be one of those rare ocassions where I give 5-stars to a most deserving product...
11 comment54 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 March 2006
I absolutely love this story.....and the way the story is told in this tv adaptation is superb. The cast is fantastic, the settings are beautiful, I can't fault it, in any way. Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle have a great on screen raport and at the end a great on screen romance. I have owned this DVD for many, many years and will never get fed up, with watching it. Even my boyfriend has to admit, that it's a great story, he particualy likes Mr Bennetts dry wit. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
0Comment41 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2008
After two dreadful DVD releases (the first and the 10th anniversary edition) in which all of the warmth had been drained from the glorious original 16mm print as seen on TV and on VHS, the BBC and 2 Entertain have finally repented and this, one of television's most beloved series has been restored to its former beauty. In 2005 I foolishly bought the 10th Anniversary Edition as the cover art-work suggested that the problems with the original transfer had been corrected. Upon viewing it, I wrote to the head of BBC in Australia with the challenge that if she could find any of the colours on the packaging actually on the DVD, I would happily walk naked down a Melbourne street at peak hour. Luckily for the locals, none could be found, and the offending item was returned. Now I am delighted to say that the original warmth has been lovingly restored in the Blu-Ray edition. Yes, as previous reviewers have stated, it was not shot in HD, nor even in 35mm - just humble 16mm, and at times some of the long-shots are not entirely distinct - yet it is a small quibble, and this is well worth the purchase to be able to once again see this iconic series in the rich tapestry of colours in which it was originally made. Thank you BBC/2 Entertain for restoring a true gem.
22 comments130 of 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2009
The picture quality is sharp and bright and makes an already fantastic production visually better. The characters seem to be even more alive and the remastering brings out their facial features and expressions even more so. The background characters at the assembly room and the Netherfield Ball, once barely noticeable stand out. The costumes look sharp and fresh in particular the red capes worn by Lydia and Kitty on their way into Meryton. In my opinion certainly worth the investment.
0Comment59 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2007
I loved this version since it was aired in 1995. As soon as it came on video shortly afterwards I pre-ordered a copy. Watched the video so many times you can hardly make it out now if you played it. About 3 years ago I bought it on DVD and i've probably watched it about 250 times plus. I have also read the book and I think this is the best tv/film version ever made.

Everytime I watch it, it's as if I forget the story and I am hooked to it to see whether or not Elizabeth and Darcy ever get together!

Brilliant!!!!
on 12 January 2010
Having seen the first 45 minutes of the first episode the morning after a night of clubbing (and therefore hungover and in need of good TV) I fell in love with this series. In order to watch the rest I bought this DVD special edition and can honestly recommend it to anyone who's read, or not read the book.

When I play this DVD on my Blu-ray player it up-scales the image further to a very high quality. It's incredibly sharp and a lot less "fuzzy" than the version I saw on TV. My only complaint would be that it's lost a bit of warmth compared to the original quality. For example at times Elizabeth Bennett (Jennifer Ehle) looks incredibly white and almost sunburnt instead of like she's blushing. You get over it quickly though and it's easy enough to change the settings on the TV to compensate.

Also if you're torn between this version and the 2005 Keira Knightley movie version, I would definitely say this version is the best. Mainly because with an extra 4 hours or so it misses much less out and the tension between Elizabeth and Darcy is more drawn out (and it's the suspense that makes Pride and Prejudice so good!) This version also has a practically perfect cast with Colin Firth simply being Darcy, Jennifer Ehle portraying the intelligent, witty and headstrong Elizabeth (while at the same time being very likeable), the mother and father are also both absolutely perfect as sources of dry humour and embarrassment and the rest of the cast are also stupidly great but I won't waffle on about them here; you'll have to watch it yourself!
on 7 November 2000
This is a drama to rave about. I've not seen its like on television before; nor do I expect to see its like again. It was superb. It was almost perfect - though not quite.
It is rare to find a Jane Austen dramatisation that comes so near to being perfect on every level and that stays so true to the original novel. The greater part of the dialogue in the series is Jane Austen's own and every scene is included and follows the same chronological order. The drama departs from the novel in only two instances.... David Bamber makes Mr Collins deliciously toadying and obsequious. A remarkable piece of acting.
It is its faithfulness to the original that makes this drama so good. No one has ever written a more tightly plotted novel. Its series of climaxes make the novel difficult to put down; just as one plot-line reaches its climactic conclusion, another is building. And the duel of wits and sharp dialogue between Darcy and Elizabeth (Jennifer Ehle) as they get to know each other is entrancing. And then comes that moment. She is at the piano befriending Darcy's sister, Georgiana (Emilia Fox), when he holds her gaze with a silent declaration of his love and admiration. This involved a fine piece of editor-timing; a split second either way, either too long or too short, and the poignancy of that moment would have been lost....I heartily recommend this video. Don't miss it. You'll not see its like again. I must just mention the charming piano music by Carl Davis, so beautifully evocative of a beautiful period in history (for the rich).