5.0 out of 5 stars A True Childhood Classic
I watched this film when I was a little girl and even now it holds a special place in my heart. It's a great animation with fantastic voice acting from Christian Slater, Tim Curry, Robin Williams and Samantha Mathis and also gives kids a message about deforestation without sounding preachy.

Fantastic film that even when I watch it now takes me back to my...
Published on 4 Feb 2008 by Kirsty Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
Enjoyed watching this as it reminded me of my childhood, the film delivers a good message through the story and children would really like this film.
Published 7 months ago by Lauren

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Childhood Classic, 4 Feb 2008

Fantastic film that even when I watch it now takes me back to my childhood.

4.0 out of 5 stars A TIMELESS STORY, NOT FLASHY BUT WELL-TOLD, 12 Feb 2011
Mr. C. Horner "hierath" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Made in 1992, before it was fashionable for cartoons to carry a political message, "Ferngully" features the talents of Christian Slater, Samantha Mathis, and Robin Williams providing comic relief in his first animated role. In the heart of the Australian rainforest live a tribe of fairies who have never had contact with humans. But when a logging company starts work in the area, it awakes an ancient evil, and humans and fairies must work together to save the forest.

There might be little original in the plot of Ferngully, and the animation is slightly dated now, but the story is well-told and entertaining, and can be enjoyed on an adult level. It also pulls off the delicate trick of delivering an important message while managing to avoid preaching at the audience. It entertains without resorting to an abundance of expensive special effects and hype.

Then James Cameron saw it, slapped a billion-dollar budget on it, and renamed it Avatar...

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story to capture the hearts of our children, 3 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: FernGully - The Last Rainforest [VHS] (VHS Tape)
A well told story of how humans have forgotten the beauty of the world. How if we don't stop cutting down the Rain Forests and harming our world are children won't be able to see it how we saw it. This move with our heros Zack and Crystal show how trust can be easily broken and faith can be given when you believe. How simple love can make us open our eyes and see the beauty of the forest and what damage we can do, and how only we can change our world and save it for our children and our children's children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit dated but a bit of a classic too!, 3 Oct 2004
This review is from: FernGully - The Last Rainforest [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I remember when this film first came out and i was mesmorised by it..it used to be one of my favourite films and one i could watch over again and again, the other day i found it when my mum was tidyin up and i watched it and i thought it was actually still really good and is a film that needs to be remembered. Especialy in our day now because it is a film all about what man kind has done to the world..and what would happen if man keeps doing what its doing.
It makes it alot more watchable, especially for kids havin fairys and stuff involved and it mite get them inspired to change what man has done, before we forget what grass looks like, when the trees are all gone and we suffocate, think about that!

5.0 out of 5 stars very very awesome film!!, 15 July 2008
Milly "Milly" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FernGully - The Last Rainforest [VHS] (VHS Tape)
this is one of the most amazing films i have ever watched! batty is hilarious and definitely my favourite character but the whole film is great. very funny but also sad and scary when zak is captured and when crysta nearly dies. but awesome! buy it! i have loved it all my life and always will! it gives out such a good message to the world about polution and humans destroying the planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Web of Life in Animation, 16 Sep 2014
I got this as a gift for my partner who has this as one of his most loved childhood films, I confess I enjoy it too with some great work from Robin Williams an Tim Curry.

With lots of fun and an important underlining theme this film shows the magic of nature and its endurance and how humans treat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars FernGully: The Last Rainforest [Blu-ray] [1992] [US Import], 14 Jun 2014
FurnGully: The Last Rainforest [1992] [Blu-ray] [US Import] WHEN MAGIC NEEDS A MIRACLE!

There's magic in the rainforest and it's called FernGully! Deep in the heart of the forest awaits a paradise filled with tiny sprites, winged fairies and tree spirits who all live in joyful harmony. But when their home is threatened by humans, one courageous sprite gives her all to save it! Featuring the voice talents of an all-star cast - including Robin Williams, Tim Curry, Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong - FernGully is a fantastical adventure into a world you'll want to visit again and again!

Voice Cast: Jonathan Ward, Samantha Mathis, Tim Curry, Christian Slater, Robin Williams, Grace Zabriskie, Geoffrey Blake, Robert Pastorelli, Cheech Marin, Tommy Chong, Tone Lôc, Townsend Coleman and Neil Ross

Director: Bill Kroyer

Producers: Peter Faiman and Wayne Young

Screenwriter: Jim Cox

Composer: Alan Silvestri

Resolution: 1080p

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1

Audio: English: 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, Spanish: 5.1 Dolby Digital, French: 5.1 DTS and Dutch: 5.1 Dolby Digital

Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Japanese, German, Italian, Czech, Dutch, Thai and Turkish

Running Time: 76 minutes

Region: A/1

Number of discs: 1

Studio: Fox Searchlight

Andrew's Blu-ray Review - 'Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest' routinely gets mistaken for being a Don Bluth film. The movie was actually directed by Bill Kroyer (who actually helped with visual effects on the original 'Tron'). However, this mistaken identity is easy to understand because the look and feel of 'Fern Gully' seems in line with the animation and themes that Don Bluth took on during his illustrious animation reign. Even without the influence of Don Bluth and Bill Kroyer guides a film that holds up relatively well 20 years later.

This could be nostalgia talking, so I'm giving you a fair warning. Before I get into my review, you must know that I watched 'Fern Gully' with a couple of my cousins at least a dozen times a month when we were young. We got to the point where we could quote just about every line of dialogue. We got especially good at mimicking Robin Williams' voice, saying things like, "I'm blind! I can see again. It's a miracle!" and "Awesome use of the language, dude." Numerous times a day we'd recite the infamous dialogue between Batty and Zak:

Batty: Nobody cares about me.
Zak: I care about you, bat-man.
Batty: Really?
Zak: Positive.
Batty: Only fools are positive.
Zak: Are you sure?
Batty: I'm positive...
Batty: I fell for it! I should have known!

Needless to say, we loved this movie. Like many cartoons from my younger years 'Fern Gully' is lodged directly into the nostalgia cortex of my brain. I remember it fondly. I remember not only loving the movie but loving the joy it inspired in me and my cousins. We're entering sappy territory, I know, but I feel that you should know of my undying love for the movie before we move on.

If it's been a little too long, here's a refresher on the plot. Crysta [Samantha Mathis] is a fairy who is learning the ways of her elder, Magi [Grace Zabriskie]. Magi recounts a story to Crysta during the opening credits about an evil entity named Hexxus [Tim Curry] who terrorises the forest, laying waste to everything in his path. The humans fled the forest and are feared extinct by the fairies. Whereas Magi was able to trap Hexxus in a giant magical tree where he remains today.

The story also involves a human named Zak [Jonathan Ward], a young boy who is out in the forest working a summer job cutting down trees. After a chance meeting with Crysta, Zak gets shrunk by Crysta's misguided fairy magic. Now, the size of Crysta, he's able to see the adverse effects of his logging on the rainforest.

If this animation film came out nowadays, imagine the uproar. The movie makes no bones about being an environmental public service announcement aimed at younger audiences. Wrapped up in its fun and fancy animation is a message that says, "See kids! See what happens when we methodically destroy our rainforests?" Today 'Fern Gully' would be decried as a blatant attempt to brainwash our children into becoming nature-loving hippies. I tried to find any sort of controversy surrounding 'Fern Gully's release in 1992, but came up empty. On the other hand Googling 'The Muppets,' 'Wall-e' or 'Cars 2' brings up dozens upon dozens of web pages laying out the ways these movies and their messages are slyly indoctrinating our kids. Perhaps the world was simpler in 1992 or maybe we were all a little less cynical. Whatever the case may be, I'm glad 'Fern Gully' came out when it did, because it wouldn't have survived the vicious onslaught that it would've received today.

Adding to the unconcealed message of conservation is the depiction of Hexxus as a large, monstrous entity made of smoke and sludge who feeds on pollution. Yes, it's completely obvious what Bill Kroyer and company are trying to accomplish with this movie. I always enjoyed Hexxus, who is another reason why this movie is as often confused as being Don Bluth work. Hexxus is scary, which is something of a taboo when we're talking about villains in children's films. Don Bluth routinely put villains in his films that felt scary and real, providing little to no intentional comedy associated with them in order to lighten the mood. Here Hexxus sometimes appears as a smoke monster, but other times as a creepy skeletal figure made of oozing sludge. It could be frightening for younger children but it drives home the purpose of the movie even further, giving a chilling face to pollution so kids can understand its destructive nature.

'Fern Gully' also has a cute little love story attached to it where Zak and Crysta become enamoured with each other, but that isn't the real reason for its existence. When we come to the end and find that the movie has been dedicated to, "Our children and our children's children," we know for sure that this was mainly a propaganda film. It had an agenda that would've created serious waves had it been released today. Agree with its message or not, 'Fern Gully' is fearless in its convictions. You have to give it that.

Blu-ray Video Quality - This is a Fox release, which comes in a standard eco-friendly Blu-ray keep case, which I replaced, as it was ent in those horrible Blu-ray case that has all that horrible space bits, if you get my drift and it makes the Blu-ray case very flimsy. This Blu-ray Disc is a Region A/1 use only. Fox Searchlight has provided 'Fern Gully' with a brilliant 1080p encoded transfer complete with a 1.85:1 frame.

First, let me say that this presentation is much better than the look of the previous inferior Region 1 DVD. It's cleaner, brighter, and the colours are much more vivid this time around. The detail in the animation is clearly seen rather than hidden away in the murky DVD picture; I never knew what I was missing. The real winner here is the amazing colour. The DVD always looked too washed out, too bland. But here the colour has a darker, much more natural feel to it. The greens of the Australian rainforest are lush while the blackness of Hexxus' oozing sludge persona is deep and foreboding.

However, the animation does routinely run into problems. Colour does flicker from time to time. Lines, spots, specks and dirt can be seen throughout the runtime. It isn't nearly as dirty or unwatchable as, say, 'All Dogs Go to Heaven,' but it is rather noticeable. With that said, I thought that this transfer, overall, looked much cleaner than the DVD. Yes, it has a ways to go in order to meet the high bar set by Disney's flawless restorations of its older animated titles, but there does seem to be some care put into this transfer. It doesn't seem simply slapped together.

Blu-ray Audio Quality - Fox has produced a wonderful 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio surround track which really adds a much needed kick to the movie's presentation. Besides the dialogue being mixed a little too low, I was really impressed at the way this lossless mix integrated the movie's ambient sound, producing a very well-balanced and aggressive surround sound mix.

Let me tell you, you've never heard 'Fern Gully' with this much low-end bass. As the humans move through the forest demolishing everything in their path, the sub-woofer rumbles every time a large tree topples to the forest floor. Musical numbers, like Batty's rap, are given plenty of accompanying bass.

The rear speakers are full of forest life and Alan Silvestri's memorable score. As the trees begin to fall we hear birds and animals fleeing the scene as the rear speakers capture their movements. The rear channels are also alive with activity as Crysta outruns a swooping hawk and when Hexxus bellows and growls while destroying the forest. Fans of the movie will be very pleased with this newly updated lossless mix.

Blu-ray Special Features and Extras:

Audio Commentary: Director Bill Kroyer is joined by art director Ralph Eggleston and coordination art director Susan Kroyer. Right off the bat Kroyer and his fellow filmmakers begin explaining, in depth, about the animation of the opening sequence and how it was done in 3 or 4 days and how it involved a 40-foot camera pan. From there the commentary moves on to cover various technical aspects. You hear the words "exposure" and "cells" a lot as they talk candidly about how hard some of the scenes were to animate. Bill Kroyer points out pretty much every time CG is used in a scene. If you're an animation buff you'll definitely want to listen to this commentary.

Seed of the Story: Script-to-Screen Comparisons [8:00] Here we get five different scenes and we get to see how the script compared to the original storyboards of the movie. There is optional commentary provided by screenwriter Jim Cox if you're interested. His commentary is pretty droll, but covers the basic underpinnings of the characters and the plot. There are five separate scenes to look at: "Original Opening," "Crysta Meets Batty," "First Encounter," "Hexxus' Instructions," and "Zak's Confession."

From Paper to Tree: Making-Of Documentary [30:00] The most interesting aspect of the film covered here is the evolution of the animation. Other than that you're looking at interviews from a few of the filmmakers along with voice-actor Samantha Mathis. Behind-the-scenes footage of voice recording sessions is also fun to see.

Behind the Voice: Toxic Love [3:00] It's touted as a "multi-angle" documentary, but it doesn't really show multiple angles of the same scene. What it does show is multiple stages of how the Hexxus musical scene was put together. Here you're allowed to toggle through four options by using the Angle button on your remote - the actual movie scene, Tim Curry's recording booth footage and storyboards. Or you can simply squish all three together on the same screen to see them side-by-side.

Music Video [4:00] The video is for Tone-Loc's song "If I'm Gonna Eat Somebody (It Might As Well Be You)."

Trailers and TV Spots [7:00] Here we get the Theatrical Trailers [5:00] and a few TV spots [2:00] are included.

Finally, 'Fern Gully' remains one of my fondest childhood cartoon memories, even after revisiting it. Many times I revisit cartoons I used to watch as a kid and they simply don't hold up, 'Fern Gully' does. Sure, it has a thinly-veiled environmental message, but that's the point of the movie in the first place. It's a movie that I've been waiting for to come to Blu-ray and now we finally have it. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys wonderful animation and also has a message in telling us that our planet Earth is a very precious special place and the only ONE for us to live on and should be more respected, than it is in the 21st Century. Despite my gloomy message, it will not stop you enjoying this jewel in the crown Blu-ray disc and so happy and proud to add this to my Blu-ray Collection and will give you endless hours of viewing pleasure. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Andrew C. Miller - Your Ultimate No.1 Film Fan
Le Cinema Paradiso
WARE, United Kingdom

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 April 2014
I was introduced to this great kids' film at the age of 18 but absolutely loved it. In terms of its political stance, it is very ahead of its time. It clearly inspired James Cameron when making Avatar. Robin Williams' appearance is brilliant, particularly his rap.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product and price speedy delivery, 31 Aug 2013
T. Southwell (england) - See all my reviews
brilliant all round price amazon 100 % all the time thanks just great just great just great just great just great

FernGully - The Last Rainforest [VHS]
FernGully - The Last Rainforest [VHS] by Bill Kroyer (VHS Tape - 1992)