I can't believe it has taken me so long to 'discover' this film. I remember it being my parent's favourite movie. I recently bought for my children as they loved the Sound of Music.

I have to say that it is the only film that has ever made me cry, and several times at that. I never thought a musical would do that.

'If I loved a you' has to be one of...
Published on 18 Dec. 2007 by steveM

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Didn't work after the first time I watched it! Not impressed in the slightest
Published 6 months ago by D C Orme

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - There are not enough superlatives praise this film!, 18 Dec. 2007

'If I loved a you' has to be one of the most beautiful and moving love song ever written, and it is beautiful orchestrated in the astonishing 'Louise's Ballet', (check it out on You Tube). What an abstounding dance scene, I have never seen such wonderful male dancing, when a man can be so masculine and yet so graceful.

The ending with 'You'll never walk alone' is so moving and reduced me to a final flood of tears.

And I usually like action films!

This DVD issue is very good. The film is crystal clear with vivid colours, good sound and the extras are very good.

By the way, my children (8 and 6) loved it and are still singing 'If I loved you' weeks later.

They don't make films like this any more.

Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth going to the Carousel, 15 May 2006
This review is from: Carousel [DVD] [1956] (DVD)
Regarded by many as the best Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, it still manages to pack a punch after all these years. Most people will probably already be familiar with the hymn-like standard 'You'll Never Walk Alone', but there are plenty of other gems here that are worth tuning in for. Fans of Frank Sinatra may recognise Billy's 'Soliloquy'. The scene on the beach where Gordon McRae belts it out is now a movie musicals' classic. My personal favourite is the beautifully tender duet 'If I Loved You', a song so loaded with the promise of romance and deeply felt regret all at the same time - surely (or Shirley??) one of the best love songs in any Broadway repertoire.
Another of the musical's high points comes with the opening 'Carousel Waltz' itself, an instrumental piece that perfectly captures the very mood of a funfair and is probably one of Rodgers' finest compositions. It won't leave your head for days!
While the camerawork may look a bit dated now, the story is still relevant and quite moving. Both of the leads (Gordon McRae and Shirley Jones) are well cast and the singing is excellent. Exquisite stuff indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Carousel will keep turning for a long time, 19 Mar. 2004
P. A. Rushforth "Yorkshire man" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Carousel [DVD] [1956] (DVD)
Carousel is another fine film, in colour, from Rodgers and Hammerstein following their success with 'Oklahoma'. Gordon MacCrae as the fairgound barker is one of the stars and his co-star is the lovely Shirley Jones.
A wonderful musical with an intriguing story which will keep you enthralled. Amongst the delightful songs are "If I Loved You", "People Will Say We're In Love", "You'll Never Walk Alone" and one which parents, particularly, will appreciate -- "When The Children Are Asleep We'll Sit And Dream".
Although first seen in 1956, almost half a century ago, I believe it will be appreciated just as much in another 50 years.
It is a romantic story, spanning Heaven and Earth, but, as in life,there is a sad sequence which may bring a tear or two to your eyes. To say anymore would spoil your pleasure. So,just settle down in your armchair and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carousel - the movie, 8 Jan. 2010
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Carousel - the movie

Originally a play called "Liliom" by the Hungarian playwright and novelist Ferenc Molnar, this was the second collaboration by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein, a successor to their show Oklahoma. The Broadway show dates from 1945 and the film from 1956. It tells the story of the romance between a cotton mill worker (Shirley Jones) and a carousel barker (Gordon Macrae) who works at a fairground. It was filmed in CinemaScope and Eastmancolor and contains another crop of fresh tunes, some of which have become "evergreens": `You'll never walk alone', `If I loved you', `June is bustin' out all over', and the Carousel waltz that opens the show. Waltzes were a speciality amongst Rodgers' many compositions with both Hart and Hammerstein. The film is a little wistful in that our hero, Billy Bigelow, the barker, dies in an attempted robbery, but he is allowed back to earth for a while to see how his daughter has grown up, which also gives him a chance to repent for his sins. The music is sumptuously orchestrated and played by the studio orchestra conducted by Alfred Newman, who has very many film scores to his credit. Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Musical Masterpiece, 21 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Carousel [DVD] [1956] (DVD)
Undoubtedly the most touching and beautifully written of Rogers and Hammerstein's movie-musicals, this film is in turns lightheartedly funny and tear-jerkingly sad. Featuring classic songs "June is Busting Out All Over", "If I Loved You" and "You'll Never Walk Alone" and the undisputed talent of Shirley Jones and Gordon McRae, this film will leave you with tears streaming down your face long after the credits.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best musical ever written, 22 Jan. 2014
Carousel is my favourite film of all time. When other youngsters were starting to idolise Bill Haley and Elvis Presley in 1956, I was intrigued by Gordon MacRae, which came about by watching Carousel. I preferred the music of Rodgers and Hammerstein and the other great composers of their period, and I still do. It's testament also to MacRae that he had the great skill to step in at short notice, indeed no notice at all, and replace Frank Sinatra who had been preparing for months on this movie, and had walked out as filming was about to start. There have been many stories about why Frank walked away from it but the most convincing one for me, which I only recently found, was in an interview with Gordon MacRae, from The Pittsburgh Press in 1982, where he said "Sinatra was smart to get out. Ole Blue Eyes couldn't see himself with padded clothing and all. I know they said he left because of that camera business, but we didn't really shoot it twice anyway. They just set the cameras side by side." Gordon MacRae is superb in this picture and sings what I think are the two best musical numbers ever put onto film, the drop dead gorgeous love song duet 'If I loved You' with Shirley Jones, and the 'Soliloquy' which is simply spellbinding if you haven't seen it, the best acted, musical number that I've ever seen, where he wrings every emotion from the song, and it's a monumental song to have to tackle. He's again teamed with the beautiful Shirley Jones as he was in Oklahoma. Shirley had a wonderfully attractive soprano voice and she's always said that this is her favourite musical ever and used the songs in her act throughout the years. Richard Rodgers also said it was the best work he ever did and loved to listen to it himself, even though he wrote it. Filmed on the coast of New England in Maine Harbour, it's simply beautiful and very moving to watch and to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, 17 Dec. 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As with any collection everyone has a different favorite. The nice thing about this collection is some of the movies may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there are no duds snuck in the pack.

It consists of:

"Oklahoma!" (1955) Gordon MacRay and Gloria Grahame

"Carousel" (1956) Gordon MacRay and Shirley Jones

"The King and I" (1956) Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner

"South Pacific" (1958) Rossano Brazzi and Mitzi Gaynor

"The Sound of Music" (1965) Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer

I do not want to get involved in screen format wars but the films them selves will take you to far off lands and far off times. For a better feel you may want to look at the individual reviews.

You will find yourself singing all the songs through the day.

By the way if you already one or two of these already it is still worth buying as a set.

4.0 out of 5 stars carousel, 3 Mar. 2010
Mr. J. Schofield (Oldham England) - See all my reviews
The very first LP i ever bought was carousel and I have loved the film and music ever since, but can someone tell me why we never get the full film on dvd.In the original film in the cinema Julie went twice to the Carousel before leaving with Billy and in between was the song 'Your a queer one Julie Jordan'Exclusion of this begining makes Julie appear a little 'easy'.Still a great film however its edited but if they decided to bring out a complete version I for one would be quick to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Missing Song!, 23 Feb. 2013
How disappointing that one of the more light hearted and enjoyable songs should be deleted from this wonderful musical. The omission of "You're a Queer One Julie Jordan" is unforgivable, especially as there was no warning that this was the case before buying. I kept going back thinking I had missed it or there was something wrong with my DVD player as I couldn't believe the song had simply not been included! I will now have to buy another copy - one that, with any luck, hasn't been "tampered" with.

5.0 out of 5 stars As it said on the tin, 8 Nov. 2013
Alan R. Wood - See all my reviews
Wanted this for many years as it was always a film I remembered from seeing it at the cinema in the 50s. Never mind Jerry and the Pacemakers, this is far superior.

Carousel [VHS] [1956]
Carousel [VHS] [1956] by Henry King (VHS Tape - 2004)