I can't believe it has taken me so long to 'discover' this film. I remember it being my parent's favourite movie. I recently bought for my children as they loved the Sound of Music.

I have to say that it is the only film that has ever made me cry, and several times at that. I never thought a musical would do that.

'If I loved a you' has to be one of...
Published on 18 Dec 2007 by steveM

3.0 out of 5 stars A few nice songs in it...
A little bit on stretched side is the story - but this plays in the 50ies so be aware of thick cheesiness and funny views regarding women, raising children and so on...
Published 10 months ago by Irina Hensgen

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - There are not enough superlatives praise this film!, 18 Dec 2007

'If I loved a you' has to be one of the most beautiful and moving love song ever written, and it is beautiful orchestrated in the astonishing 'Louise's Ballet', (check it out on You Tube). What an abstounding dance scene, I have never seen such wonderful male dancing, when a man can be so masculine and yet so graceful.

The ending with 'You'll never walk alone' is so moving and reduced me to a final flood of tears.

And I usually like action films!

This DVD issue is very good. The film is crystal clear with vivid colours, good sound and the extras are very good.

By the way, my children (8 and 6) loved it and are still singing 'If I loved you' weeks later.

They don't make films like this any more.

Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Carousel will keep turning for a long time, 19 Mar 2004
P. A. Rushforth "Yorkshire man" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Carousel [DVD] [1956] (DVD)
Carousel is another fine film, in colour, from Rodgers and Hammerstein following their success with 'Oklahoma'. Gordon MacCrae as the fairgound barker is one of the stars and his co-star is the lovely Shirley Jones.
A wonderful musical with an intriguing story which will keep you enthralled. Amongst the delightful songs are "If I Loved You", "People Will Say We're In Love", "You'll Never Walk Alone" and one which parents, particularly, will appreciate -- "When The Children Are Asleep We'll Sit And Dream".
Although first seen in 1956, almost half a century ago, I believe it will be appreciated just as much in another 50 years.
It is a romantic story, spanning Heaven and Earth, but, as in life,there is a sad sequence which may bring a tear or two to your eyes. To say anymore would spoil your pleasure. So,just settle down in your armchair and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth going to the Carousel, 15 May 2006
This review is from: Carousel [DVD] [1956] (DVD)
Regarded by many as the best Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, it still manages to pack a punch after all these years. Most people will probably already be familiar with the hymn-like standard 'You'll Never Walk Alone', but there are plenty of other gems here that are worth tuning in for. Fans of Frank Sinatra may recognise Billy's 'Soliloquy'. The scene on the beach where Gordon McRae belts it out is now a movie musicals' classic. My personal favourite is the beautifully tender duet 'If I Loved You', a song so loaded with the promise of romance and deeply felt regret all at the same time - surely (or Shirley??) one of the best love songs in any Broadway repertoire.
Another of the musical's high points comes with the opening 'Carousel Waltz' itself, an instrumental piece that perfectly captures the very mood of a funfair and is probably one of Rodgers' finest compositions. It won't leave your head for days!
While the camerawork may look a bit dated now, the story is still relevant and quite moving. Both of the leads (Gordon McRae and Shirley Jones) are well cast and the singing is excellent. Exquisite stuff indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carousel - the movie, 8 Jan 2010
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Carousel - the movie

Originally a play called "Liliom" by the Hungarian playwright and novelist Ferenc Molnar, this was the second collaboration by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein, a successor to their show Oklahoma. The Broadway show dates from 1945 and the film from 1956. It tells the story of the romance between a cotton mill worker (Shirley Jones) and a carousel barker (Gordon Macrae) who works at a fairground. It was filmed in CinemaScope and Eastmancolor and contains another crop of fresh tunes, some of which have become "evergreens": `You'll never walk alone', `If I loved you', `June is bustin' out all over', and the Carousel waltz that opens the show. Waltzes were a speciality amongst Rodgers' many compositions with both Hart and Hammerstein. The film is a little wistful in that our hero, Billy Bigelow, the barker, dies in an attempted robbery, but he is allowed back to earth for a while to see how his daughter has grown up, which also gives him a chance to repent for his sins. The music is sumptuously orchestrated and played by the studio orchestra conducted by Alfred Newman, who has very many film scores to his credit. Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Musical Masterpiece, 21 Dec 2005
This review is from: Carousel [DVD] [1956] (DVD)
Undoubtedly the most touching and beautifully written of Rogers and Hammerstein's movie-musicals, this film is in turns lightheartedly funny and tear-jerkingly sad. Featuring classic songs "June is Busting Out All Over", "If I Loved You" and "You'll Never Walk Alone" and the undisputed talent of Shirley Jones and Gordon McRae, this film will leave you with tears streaming down your face long after the credits.

4.0 out of 5 stars carousel, 3 Mar 2010
Mr. J. Schofield (Oldham England) - See all my reviews
The very first LP i ever bought was carousel and I have loved the film and music ever since, but can someone tell me why we never get the full film on dvd.In the original film in the cinema Julie went twice to the Carousel before leaving with Billy and in between was the song 'Your a queer one Julie Jordan'Exclusion of this begining makes Julie appear a little 'easy'.Still a great film however its edited but if they decided to bring out a complete version I for one would be quick to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars As it said on the tin, 8 Nov 2013
Alan R. Wood - See all my reviews
Wanted this for many years as it was always a film I remembered from seeing it at the cinema in the 50s. Never mind Jerry and the Pacemakers, this is far superior.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Carousel [DVD] [1956] (DVD)
This musical video was and is wonderfull and great to watch.

I will recommend this to my friends and family.

Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, 17 Dec 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As with any collection everyone has a different favorite. The nice thing about this collection is some of the movies may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there are no duds snuck in the pack.

It consists of:

"Oklahoma!" (1955) Gordon MacRay and Gloria Grahame

"Carousel" (1956) Gordon MacRay and Shirley Jones

"The King and I" (1956) Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner

"South Pacific" (1958) Rossano Brazzi and Mitzi Gaynor

"The Sound of Music" (1965) Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer

I do not want to get involved in screen format wars but the films them selves will take you to far off lands and far off times. For a better feel you may want to look at the individual reviews.

You will find yourself singing all the songs through the day.

By the way if you already one or two of these already it is still worth buying as a set.

5.0 out of 5 stars A roundabout not to miss, 6 July 2014
Bought this on a whim, great musical.

Carousel [VHS] [1956]
Carousel [VHS] [1956] by Henry King (VHS Tape - 2004)
3.94