5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful and poetic film of all times
I love this film and I love it because of so many things. I saw it for the first time when I was a teenager in mid 90s and I was so impressed... I was roaming the streets of Almaty (my home town in Kazakhstan) with my best friend and I asked her: "Do you think angels are walking together with us and collecting the spiritual signs of our existence?' Of course, it was a...
Published on 9 Dec 2004 by Ntshk

3.0 out of 5 stars would have enjoyed it better if it was in English instead of ...
would have enjoyed it better if it was in English instead of German.but all in all it was a nice movie.
Published 1 month ago by Andrew Smaragdidis

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and captivating, 20 Jun 2002
E HICKS (LEIGH, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wings Of Desire (1987) (VHS Tape)
This film hooked me in from the start and kept me dangling all the way through. It's arthouse, it's Berlin, it's angels, it's slow but wonderfully engaging. If you like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Gloom or any other mindless action then butt out of this one. Do try, please.

5.0 out of 5 stars From a brisk cold into an intense passion to be shared!, 29 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Wings Of Desire (1987) (VHS Tape)
I enjoyed City of Angels but for me this took me on a rollercoaster that I'm still riding today. This is a film which stirs the very loins, an explicit tale of what it means to be a single man trying to grasp the love of a beautiful young woman, against the stark backdrop of Berlin.
My perspective lover and I were looking forward to an evening of artistic enjoyment, however she still has not seen my purchase, but eagerly awaits the next opportunity to do so.
A film which can be appreciated by all from young adults to the elderly, even my father, learnt somthing from a short glimpse, changing his perspectives from those of a loutish football fan into a loving, sensitive man. From father to son, our relationship has prospered because of the message it brings, and the partners we are with, have too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wings of Desire DVD, 4 Feb 2012
This DVD was purchased for some one else as a Christmas present so I have not seen it to carry out a review. Product delivered within the stated timescale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, 13 Oct 2010
There has been a lot written about this film and most of this is true. It is a must see film! On blu ray even better.

3.0 out of 5 stars angels, 18 May 2013
This review is from: Wings Of Desire [DVD] (DVD)
nice film but I can see why they remade it, you have to love black and white movies to enjoy this,

3.0 out of 5 stars Watched it after reading reviews..., 7 Jan 2008
K. V. Ward "dorsetgirl" (Dorchester, Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wings Of Desire [1987] [DVD] (DVD)
I rented this film after reading the reviews already posted. I have seen the updated version 'City of Angels' so thought I would give it a go. Maybe after reading the rave reviews I expected a bit more but I found it a bit hard going. I'm a Bruno Ganz fan so it was great to see him probably in his best role. I'm glad I watched it but found it a bit dated, typical 80's film. If you're a Nick Cave fan you will probably love it! Maybe I need to watch it again and I would recommend it .. I went to Berlin recently so it was interesting to see the backdrops of how it used to be. I'm not knocking this film at all... I just expected something else.

3.0 out of 5 stars A slower City of Angels, 14 Nov 2005
Francisco (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wings Of Desire [1987] [DVD] (DVD)
This film was obviously the main inspiration for the film City of Angels. Only the later movie was a lot more tightly written and faster paced.
The main story is that there is an angel who falls for a trapeze artist and decides to become mortal. He is sometimes accompanied on his journey around Berlin by another angel. As angels can hear peoples' thoughts, they spend most of the time recording the way the world is for those above. The angels can only see in black and white so we only see things in colour when the film looks at things from a mortal's point of view.
There is a major subplot in that Peter Falk, playing himself, is in Berlin to shoot a movie set in the Second World War. The angels do spend a fair amount of time on that set, as well as our hero spending a lot of time at the circus. Falk becomes a more important plot device in the last quarter of the film.
It is slow. Events don't really start moving until the last third of the film -- most of the film is just the two angels listening in. There is enough action to keep you interested though. I didn't think much of Marion's monologue at the end.
In short, it's a film with an interesting plot but the story is only a backdrop to which is both thoughtful and arty. If you're in the right mood you'll appreciate it but it's definitely not to everybody's taste.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Wings Of Desire [DVD] (DVD)
The sound track was not very good and although I did try to keep going with it, I found it too heavy to want to carry on - so didn't

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this art?, 23 Aug 2009
A. R. Schmit "Dutchman" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wings Of Desire [DVD] (DVD)
This is the sort of film for people who get a thrill from the Tate Gallery. It could be art, or it could be just plain weird. The film is 2 hours long and very little happens. The first hour consists mainly of listening in to the thoughts of Berlin residents going about their lives. Except, to judge by their thoughts, most are either philosphers or poets! An example (from the trapeze artist who is central to the film) "Inside closed eyes, close the eyes again, then even the stones come alive". Most of the film is in a similar vein. Now, rather like some poetry, this obscure language allows for individual interpretation and that may mean that people can get their own meaning from it, but a film can be intellectually challenging while still delivering normal and readily comprehensible dialogue! Perhaps something is lost in translation, but I think not. Trying to get some angle on what was the actual meaning intended by Wim Wenders, I watched the special features discussion on the film. However, that does not shed much light other than confirm that Mr. Wenders is a bit eccentric. The photography is impressive, but I would say only watch this film if you're prepared for academic film study, rather than entertainment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not True!, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Wings Of Desire [DVD] (DVD)
Mr Herzog would have us belive in ANGELS, and that, if they actualy wanted to "do it" in sleazy lounges in Berlin, or to consort within, they would. That they would ever feel such a thing as SEXUAL DESIRE is to mention an UNCHRISTIAN (Invert Tetragrammaton Pentagram) thing. Up in the HEAVEN place where all the washed-up types gather to confer, said HOLY GUARDIAN ANGELS' LUST for Columbo is snickered at, considered embarrising, and is never, ever mentioned in polite society. Our father, GOD THE FATHER would never allow us to have knowledge of such an angle's feeling such base emotions as WANTING TO BE MAKING BABIES with other human beings while hanging around with JESUS CHRIST THE LORD'S SON in HIS parents' basement complex, getting high on sniffing-glue and smoking-dope. Nor would HE ever allow us to have knowledge of such a creature getting cought MAKING LOVE in sleazy dives, waiting in the V.I.P. lines all day long just to "do it" with tv stars in the first place. Neither one as this could ever be considered an ANGEL if they CONSENTED to be condemned to torment by FREEDOM FRIES like nearly every other one of the SINNERS in these sad times. Mr. Herzog needs to go down on his BIBLE more, the instant he hears of such. Such as he and Mr. Wenders should get out their iphones and do a Google search for HELL-AMERICAN, before they get up in the morning and start "doing it" together in the back of their CHURCH again while reading HIS impure thoughts, in order to be finding out what the TRUTH IS. This is a typical Hollywood bloodslaughter BLASPHEMY (The Teachings of Emanuel Swedenborg: Last Judgment: Vol III Last Judgment: 3)

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›