4.0 out of 5 stars A good film but nothing like the book
Published on 19 Dec 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Ay Cockalorum!!!
Take a star off the rating if you didn't see this when you were a youngester is the basic truth.

I got this as it filled me with nostlagia - being shoved in front of the TV on wet winter afternoons with some buttered crumpets and my sister. We loved it.

Published on 11 Dec 2008 by Grr

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A good film but nothing like the book, 19 Dec 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Water Babies [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I have the water babies since i was a verry little girl, and the story has always intrigued me. It's a great childrens film that i feel adults can also enjoy. Just one point, if you really enjoyed the film i would recommened you not to read the book. I have read it recently thanks to this film, but i discovered from the offset that the film is extremely different to the book and i cannot watch the film in the same light ever again. Overall a great film all the family will enjoy and watch over and over again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ay Cockalorum!!!, 11 Dec 2008
Grr "Gumbo" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Truth be told it's a little bit rubbish seeing it now. The live action segemts are well done and James Mason, Billie Whitelaw & Bernard Cribbins all do good jobs. The animation though is shcoking - and really, really, really hurried! The best song 'Ay Cockalorum' is reprised FOUR times!!!

Have to be brutally truthful though - it still made me grin from ear to ear. I reckon smaller children nowadays would still enjoy it too, but anyone over 8 might spot the poor production values and shoddy animation.

So fun for the very young or for those heading for memory lane.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 24 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Water Babies [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is only the best childrens video that I have ever watched. The plot is disney, the songs are fantastic and I used to watch it every weekkend with my sister before my Mum and Dad got up! Highly recomended!

5.0 out of 5 stars water babies dvd, 20 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Water Babies [DVD] (DVD)
This film is an absolute family classic, something thats been watched and loved by generations. I remember watching this as a young child and becoming completely engrossed in the animated world of the water babies and imagining being part of it. I'm glad to say that my own children have now been introduced to this underwater extraveganser of musical fantasy and they thought it was brilliant.
As they say the classics are always the best and this is no exception!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars too expensive, region one (USA) or no english subtitles, 25 April 2014
when will this film be released for region two with English subtitles for hard of hearing please? I am trying to replace my old videos with dvds at a reasonable price but find it hard to find good copies. They are either region 1 (USA) or no subtitles or far too expensive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it said on the tin, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Water Babies [DVD] (DVD)
Item was in great condition like described!! Old school film from yonder year! Still not sure why it's worth so much though! But all the same good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 11 Feb 2014
Remembered this film from my childhood, couldn't find it any where else . Excellent film and well worth buying, kids love it

4.0 out of 5 stars Why Cockalorum?, 14 Dec 2013
Why is this enchanting British classic movie not available on DVD? Its a lovely family film featuring a stellar cast (James Mason, Billie Whitelaw). Good songs, animation sequences and perfect for a good Sunday afternoon wallow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 1 July 2013
This review is from: The Water Babies [DVD] (DVD)
The quality of this DVD was VERY poor, and not worth the amount paid for it.. having said that it is a fabulous film, so if you can find a copy that is of good quality it is defo worth buying

5.0 out of 5 stars Water babies cd, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Water Babies [DVD] (DVD)
Enjoyed this with my grandchildren, they loved it. Brought back memories of when my children were small and they remembered all of the songs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Water Babies [VHS]
The Water Babies [VHS] by Lionel Jeffries (VHS Tape - 2000)