4.0 out of 5 stars Like a theatre play, but lovely all the same
I have read all the pervious amazon reviews about BBC's S&S miniseries, but they were mixed, so I did not know what to expect from the production as a whole. However, I was most pleasantly surprised, for I found it lovely.

There's no denying it that compared to the outstanding Emma Thompson movie the miniseries seems much more sedate and restrained -with less...
Published on 4 July 2006 by Lili_K

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit wooden and dated, but saved by Tracey Childs
This BBC production was made in 1981, and it looks like it. It looks very wooden next to the thrilling Oscar-winning Emma Thomson version that hit cinema screens 12 years later, and was eclipsed again by the BBC's superb 2003 production (starring Hattie Morahan). Both offer a much more lively and colourful retelling than we get here. The 1981 and 2003 versions stay very...
Published 2 months ago by Stephen Citynskyj

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, soulless, boring, 13 May 2006
wiz_frog (London, England) - See all my reviews
What a disappointment this was! I never thought the BBC could do wrong with its costume dramas and adaptations but now I know better. This series was flat in its look and delivery, with a script that did nothing to present us with flesh and blood characters or even much of a sense of story, acting that added nothing to what ought to have been sparkling dialogue and directing that was so appalling it was painful to watch. The last time I saw camera work this wobbly and dull, it was in a student video. I can't believe the BBC put its name to this. Avoid it at all costs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgist, 28 Dec 2011
I was & am familiar with this production of S&S ,I had made some searches elsewhere -without success.this genre of BBC classics is for me never disappointing,Amazon swiftly delivered my order with others &I have never been disappointed with them . Larry

1.0 out of 5 stars cringeworthy, 2 Jan 2008
Lilacstar (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
I didnt think i would find any adaptation of my favorite novel unwatchable and boring but this is. It makes the other adaptations look even better. Im sorry i wasted time trying to watch this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you see it before you buy it!, 30 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Sense And Sensibility [VHS] [1981] (VHS Tape)
One would have thought that having been made by the BBC and being adapted from Jane Austen's excellent novel, that this would be a very good production. At least that is what I thought and confident that it would be, I bought it with great hopes. I was very disappointed.
This is without doubt the worst BBC production I have ever seen and is the only video I regret buying. I only wish I had rented it from the library first and I feel cheated of the money I paid for it.
The cast is virtually unknown - apart from Robert Swann and Rosemary Leach - and it is not difficult to see why. The acting is wooden and lifeless - there is a complete lack of chemistry between any of the players. It is also not an especially faithful adaptation either, for example, the youngest Dashwood, Margaret, is omitted altogether. The one star I have given is for the story and nothing else.
If you are a fan of the book, I would advise you purchase the film starring Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet. It is very entertaining, beautifully acted and more faithful.
If you are considering purchasing this, watch it first.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa52d4f60)

Sense And Sensibility [VHS] [1981]
Sense And Sensibility [VHS] [1981] by Irene Richard (VHS Tape - 2000)
0.45