4.0 out of 5 stars Great fantasy film. Really brings back the memories of child-hood.
The Neverending Story is based upon a German novel by Michael Ende, and the film (released in 1984), is directed by Wolfgang Peterson who later went on to direct such films as 'Air Force One' and 'Troy'.

The Neverending Story is a film which surrounds the life of a young boy named Bastian Bux (Barret Oliver), who, one day after being yet again tormented by...
Published on 13 May 2009 by a1ex8

3.0 out of 5 stars Time can be cruel..
I first watched this with my eight year old. She loved it and ten years later wanted a revisit this memory. She was so bored and 30 minutes later it was switched off. So clearly a children's film that should stay with children and clearly first time around she loved it. Don't go back.
Published 14 months ago by A. radford

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nothing is closer than you think ...!, 24 Aug 2008
On this occasion I found myself liking the movie more than the book. What stood out for me as a child was the wolf figure who stated at the end of the film this startling notion that people who forgot their dreams and lost their hopes were easy to control and who ever has the control has the power ... I wondered how that could come about. Now I see that behind the film was possibly a critique on our modern standard of living and the world of Fantasia, a world of the spirit, imagination and dreams does not want to allow it's self to be usurped by mans casual disregard for those qualities. The film asserts that real freedom is the freedom of the mind and to have self belief in the face of astonishing obstacles is the only way to move forward. This is a modern day fairy tale which I believe has made it so enduring. At some level it communicates what we may all feel ... that we are being usurped by another type of spirit more insidious than anything before, the progressive and thus uncontrollable engine of the industrialised world.

This edition presents the film in it's original format and cover art work is very pleasing, perhaps Disney could take note and drop that hideous cover art for it's fantasy film The Return to Oz, as The Never-ending Story, Return to Oz, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth and The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen are all from an inspiring period in film history, since there was little to parallel these films before hand and the technocrats who pioneered them really were breaking new ground when it came to fantasy storytelling. Inspiring work visually as well as in storytelling.

You can buy the score soundtrack from amazon in germany.

As with the comment above, it is the same U S version ... it could have been better but maybe next year will see a more definitive edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb film, shame about the DVD, 7 Aug 2008
D. May (Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
You should know that this release is a straight copy of the American region 1 disc.

The sound mix is Dolby 2.0 only, it is the American cut of the film (shorter than the German original) and there are very little in the way of extras. There is a German version that has both cuts of the film available (although it is now out of print so getting hold of one might prove difficult) unfortunately it has no English audio for the original cut and the sound mix is 2.0 only. There is also a Holland release of the American version but with a DTS soundtrack.

Considering next year will be the 25th anniversay of the film I find it incredible that Warner decided to release this travesty of a DVD now.

Five stars for the film, One star for the DVD. Shame on you Warner!

5.0 out of 5 stars "But it's just a story!...It's not real!", 21 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Never Ending Story [VHS] [1985] (VHS Tape)
Are you sure? A good, old fashioned tale of a boy and a book - and what happens when people begin to lose hope and forget their dreams. Perhaps the most essential story ever told with the most essential message...KEEP DREAMING! Wean your kids on it, and what's more, keep your own Magic alive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best film EVER made., 17 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Never Ending Story [VHS] [1985] (VHS Tape)
I loved this when I was a kid.
Now I'm old (haha) and have kids of my own.

We sat down together this weekend to watch this film.... I knew it would be good and that the kids would love it, but I had forgotten just how good it really is.

Every scene in the film is intense - exciting, sad, funny, scarey...
There is no let up from begining to end.

One minute you want to cry because all seems lost and the scene is overwhelmingly sad.
The next, your flying on the back of a dragon-dog all excited and enchanted.

Having watched hundreds of films in my lifetime so far - I have to say that this is the best film I have ever seen.

An absolute triumph.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Artex! your sinking...turn around...YOU HAVE TO NOW!", 16 Dec 2007
Awesome family film and the very first movie I saw as a child along with Legend, Starchaser The Legend of ORin. This movie is fantastic one which I am gonna get however the sequel isnt bad it certainly isnt great and dont get me started on the 3rd (featuring Jack Black before he was semi famous!) and that TV series they made...ugh!!! Before throwing youth away to Harry Potter and all them crap fantasy films they seem to be spewing out try them with this first. It is well written, acted and the puppetry is great. This truly is a film that has aged well I am glad it is here for the ages instead of dwindling away like so many other family classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars You know the song..., 10 Oct 2011
Puzzle crazy (Walsall, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The film is Directed by Wolfgang Petersen and is a typical 80's style fantasy film, but primarily directed at kids. it is the story of Bastian (Noah Hathaway), who lives with his dad following the death of his mother. Bastian is bullied at school, and his father is distant, so he has no real friends. He happens to discover an old bookstore one day, when he is running away from the bullies, and finds a book, called the Neverending Story, which the bookstore owner warns is not "safe" like other books. He takes the book to school and reads it alone in the school attic. Here begins the story within a story of the residents of Fantasia, whose world is being destroyed by a force called the "Nothing". The reason that Fantasia is being destroyed, is because modern children are reading less and using their imagination less, causing the world to die. Only Bastian can save it, but does he realise that he is part of the book he is reading?

This is a really fun film, with fast paced adventure and lots of emotion. The scene where the horse dies made me cry when I was little! The charcters are larger than life, and I really liked the luck dragon, who helps the boy on his adventure. There is a character called the rockbiter, who is huge, but loveable, and a little guy who rides on a racing snail, who some viewers will recognise as the oompa loompa in the new charlie and the chocolate factory movie.

You can occasionaly catch this film on TV, and they made 2 sequels, which are nowhere near as good, and confusingly, have different actors playing the lead role.It looks a bit dated, and the music is a bit wobbly, but if you can put that aside and just enjoy a story of a young boy trying to find himself, then you will enjoy this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic film, 3 May 2011
I loved this film when I was younger (and still do) and my 7 year old boy was amazed by it and now says it's his favourite film ever. High praise indeed as he is a bit of a film buff! The soundtrack is superb. Good price and prompt delivery from amazon too.

5.0 out of 5 stars holds a very important message we all need to know, 27 Oct 2009
Funny as it is, i wasnt introduced to fantasy films, as such, until i was 25, and my girlfriend, had bought this for her daughter, and one cold january saturday, i watched it with her other younger boys.
what an amazing story for kids, let alone anything else. i fell in love with it, because the big wolf sums it all up, the way that fear controls, and imagination and hope and possibiltys, are made from us all. And that not only children, but all of us could learn from it.
Because wasnt most if not all things made in our world created by imagination and dreams. You could call the vaccuous shallow lives of fear and modern day control, celebrity obsessed, disjointed purpose and values something that supresses freedom of thought and deed. But this film explains it in a way, i never could.
I may love my goodfellas and resevoir dogs, but when anyone now asks, what is one of my favourite films, i say "the never ending story", and they laugh very hard, and i do too, being a forty year old git. then they ask to borrow it using an excuse to get it for their son to watch, and afterwards they get it, and they dont laugh.
So i agree with the person who said this should be added to the school curriculum. It would make those minds shine, because it sadly tells a story, of how our ever cynical and more fearful world, is crushing the joy of being alive and able to freely express happiness, and use our god given minds, to create heaven from hell.
Its not just one for the kiddys, its for us all. Because arent all adults just big children with more moss on them?

And im proud to say i still have pillow fights with my 66 year old mother, both parents are big kids. And so am i, and films like this reinforce the importance of taking things far too serious.

5.0 out of 5 stars like and old good wine, 25 April 2001
This review is from: The Never Ending Story [VHS] [1985] (VHS Tape)
Well I am almost 30 and still enjoy the story (unlike part II and not to mention III). It is one of the most important movies of my childhood - and adult life too! Watch it once a year as a vaccination against disbelief in the power of imagination. A must for your children - especially today when there is so many worthless movies for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars never ending story, 17 May 2009
Mrs. L. J. Bennett (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
I had forgotten just how good this story was but am now really enjoying watching it again with my grandchildren. Timeless and ageless a real classic that should be advertised more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

The Never Ending Story [VHS] [1985]
The Never Ending Story [VHS] [1985] by Wolfgang Petersen (VHS Tape - 1999)