5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Children's Film., 24 April 2008
S. Turnbull (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Granpa [VHS] [1989] (VHS Tape)
This is a gorgeous piece of animation.I have three sons and all of them have watched this over and over again.
The relationship between a child and a grandparent is quite often very special and this little film beautifully illustrates that.They say the older that you get the more childlike you become and here we have Emily and her grandfather engaging in imaginary situations invloving tremendous fantasy and adventure.
AS other reviewers have said-the 'death' of the grandfather at the end is handled sensitively and movingly.I defy you not to cry-I know it sounds strange tslking about crying at a cartoon but believe me it might happen !!.
I can't recommend this film highly enough-Buy it,you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Granpa video, 30 July 2004
K Kayes "Karen Kayes" (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Granpa [VHS] [1989] (VHS Tape)
I bought this video for my 2 year old daughter and it is still being played 8 years later on. This very moving, nostalgic, funny and imaginative story is based around the relationship of a small girl with her granpa, involving adventures in the jungle, at sea and in the back garden. It ends with his death, however this part is handled sensitively and is ambiguous enough for any adult to deal with. The video is a classic and should grace any childs collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Beautiful video, 11 Jan 2004
This review is from: Granpa [VHS] [1989] (VHS Tape)
Based on John Burningham's award-winning picture book "Granpa", this animation video by the makers of the equally enchanting video version of Raymond Brigg's The Snowman tells the story of the relationship between (5 year old?) Emily and her Grandfather and how the two of them manage to bridge the huge generation gap. Just as in the book, the storytelling relies on the pictures (which stay absolutely true to the book) with Peter Ustionov rendering Grandpa's sparse comments.The background music also fits very well.
While I wouldn't call the video sad (the eventual death of the grandfather is only implied and may not be interpreted as such by small children) it is certainly nostalgic. Generally, I tend to like the original books better than their filmed versions, but here, as in The Snowman, the video is even more moving and more enchanting than the print original. I only hope this video will be re-released soon, as I know plenty of people waiting to get a copy. Anyone wanting to give their children quality videos of artistic value absolutely must have this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and moving., 5 April 2013
This review is from: Granpa [VHS] [1989] (VHS Tape)
Brilliant and moving, I first saw this short film with my sons and promptly recommended it to our local primary as a resource which deals with the difficult subject of loss so sensitively.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandpa memories at their best, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Granpa [VHS] [1989] (VHS Tape)
Wonderful film, was loved by my children and my grandchildren will love even more. Thank you very much, a great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars a favourite, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: Granpa [VHS] [1989] (VHS Tape)
worth watching for the whale scene. incredible music, depressing animation. one for the 90s kids

been looking for a while, is this availible on dvd???

4.0 out of 5 stars Children's timeless classic, 7 Nov 2009
This review is from: Granpa [VHS] [1989] (VHS Tape)
Although there's little dialogue, it's a wonderful storey teller through the imagination of Granpa, and his grandaughter, Emily. The accompanying musical score evokes feelings of joy, happiness and sadness and although my kids at 7&11 enjoy it, it's still appreciated by adults of all generations. Look at The Snowman, Farther Christmas and you're not far off.
If you're tired of the sickly sweet American, dumbed down concoction of what seems to be flooding our shores, then this is the perfect antidote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories........., 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Granpa [VHS] [1989] (VHS Tape)
My three daughters (Now all in their 20's) used to watch this as I had a copy for them, I saw this and hey presto played it for them and my grand daughter, a big hit with my daughters. My grandaughter well, she is too young at 7 months and she couldn't put it in her mouth!!
Later perhaps

ARRAY(0xafd9b84c)

Granpa [VHS] [1989]
Granpa [VHS] [1989] by Dianne Jackson (VHS Tape - 1994)
Used & New from: 19.75