5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising hidden gem, 16 Jan 2006
This review is from: Nelson Mass (Audio CD)
This CD was such a find - I am thrilled with it. Kings choir is very good in the recording of the Nelson Mass; the balance is right and the boys are just sparkling, esecially on the high notes. The Vivaldi Gloria is also well-done; I reckon that the performance here was made during the transition period from the heavy interpretations of the past to the more delicate 'original instruments' revolution that we still have today. However this Gloria is *far* more gutsy and wholesome than the rather bland L'Oiseau Lyre version. The soprano/alto duet 'Laudamus Te' is wonderful, complete with very gooey trills!
The real jewel on this album though is Sylvia Stahlman in the Nelson Mass. Initially her voice sounds delicate and a bit brittle, but she soon warms up and positively soars in the Kyrie and the Gloria. Add to this her wonderful interpretation of the words (e.g. Quoniam to solus *sanctus*) and you've got a top singer. There's also a very sweet photo in the sleeve, of her sitting outside King's chapel! Tom Krause was also good.
The third item is Zadok the Priest. I still cannot decide whether I prefer this version to Cleobury's version or not. It is certainly brighter but it can sound a bit harsh and bouncy. It's good though. Listen out for the very enthusiastic counter-tenor on 'May the King live forever!'!!!
I love this CD: three great recordings.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely recording, 18 April 2014
I bought this cd it is a very good recording, as we at Surrey Festival Choir with all who are signing up to sing, are singing Hyden's nelson Mass and Vaughen Williams Dona Nobis Pacem
during Surrey festival, So I will play this cd in my car as an enjoyable learning aid

5.0 out of 5 stars Nelson Mass, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nelson Mass (Audio CD)
I thought this edition was very good. I am learning this music for a concert and the sound of the voices and orchestra are very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Concert practice, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Nelson Mass (Audio CD)
This is what I need to practice for our choir concert. It is very good and helping me a lot

5.0 out of 5 stars great recording, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nelson Mass (Audio CD)
Purchased the Nelson Mass as we are singing it at choir. Lovely recording and has helped me a lot.

Zadok the Priest also on there, singing that too.

The bonus is the Vivaldi Gloria as Idont kn ow that and it has some beautiful singing, especially track 19.

5.0 out of 5 stars What I needed, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Nelson Mass (Audio CD)
I bought this CD because I was singing both the Haydn Mass and the Vivaldi Gloria and I wanted to practise. The CD was just right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear Sound, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Nelson Mass (Audio CD)
I have listened to many versions of this Mass setting and can honestly say that it is by far clearest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Sep 2014
This review is from: Nelson Mass (Audio CD)
Not as well known as the Elijah or Brahms Requiem but enjoyable and singable.A chorister staple.

Nelson Mass
Nelson Mass by Joseph Haydn (Audio CD - 2000)