5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introductory compilation
This was the first Coltrane record I bought after seeing it offer. Well being called 'The Very Best of' I was expecting too much, but this isn't just hyperbole. A great selection of tracks and really stand out performances too (best version of 'My Favorite Things' I've heard).
Published on 3 Aug 2005 by David Attia

1.0 out of 5 stars No stars Very Disappointed
The quality of the sound on the cd was appallingly bad. Sounds like half way between tuning in 2 radio stations. I could here the music in the background but the scratchin on top was painfull.I didnt have time to send it back as too busy, so stuck with it. Will definetly not be purchasing from this supplier again. No stars at all. Thanks for nothing.
Published on 5 Dec 2010 by Lee Knowles

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introductory compilation, 3 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Very Best Of John Coltrane (Audio CD)
Certainly a great introduction to the trane, highly accessible. I wouldn't consider myself a connoisseur of the genre, by any stretch, but I imagine this would be a worth while purchase to the more seasoned listeners too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The poetry of cool, 22 May 2009
This review is from: The Very Best Of John Coltrane (Audio CD)
If you are new to Coltrane, this is a wonderful starting point. Not really the 'very best of' as it's drawn from his recordings on the Atlantic label, and doesn't include the later, classic 'Impulse' cuts. But who cares? It's a sensational selection from this inspired middle period of his musical career, and by now Coltrane is the complete master of mood and tone, going off like a firework in Giant Steps, wistfully poetic in central Park West, affectionately dreamy for the track named after daughter Naima. So much sheer beauty pours from his playing. The tunes will stay with you forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dad loves this!, 2 May 2013
Cat G "Cat" (Lincolnshire - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of John Coltrane (Audio CD)
My dad was very pleased when i bought this for him - was a great deal and a top CD for all Coltrane fans!

1.0 out of 5 stars No stars Very Disappointed, 5 Dec 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Okay-ish, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Very Best Of John Coltrane (Audio CD)
The music is great, as I expected.

The item was not perfect, let's say "okay-ish".

I purchased it as new, but the cd came opened, without the foliage, and the case had a scratch on it :(

I am not very happy with this since I did not pay for a used item. Another cd in this same package come opened too, but fortunately without a scratch.

I'm kind of disappointed.

The Very Best Of John Coltrane
The Very Best Of John Coltrane by John Coltrane (Audio CD - 2000)