5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine - The best John Lennon ablum
Published on 4 Oct. 2003 by beckycorr

2.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting a classic but..........
I have always been a big Beatles fan and have a good selection of post Beatles albums. This album has some real high spots like the obvious "Imagine" and "Jealous Guy" but I found a good deal of the other stuff very ordinary indeed. I think that if this album had been made by John Smith instead of Lennon it would be regarded as, at best, mediocre.
Published on 12 Jan. 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine - The best John Lennon ablum, 4 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Imagine (Audio CD)
I first heared this when I was 17 and thought it was the best John Lennon album ever. Every song on this cd has has great stories behind them. My personal faves are Cripped Inside, Jealous Guy, How Do You Sleep and the wonderful Imagine. John's voice sounds great and he had showed himself to be bigger and better then the rest of the Beatles. Cripped Inside happens to the song I listen too when no one cares, I feel Cripped Inside alot these days. Jealous Guy is a sad but cool song. How Do You Sleep makes me laugh. This is John having a pop at Paul....real class! Imagine is outstanding! This is my all time fave John song and no one esle could sing it....
So if you wanted to get any John ablum....then buy this! Believe me, this wont let you down ( get it!!!!!!!!!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, but....., 29 Feb. 2000
This review is from: Imagine (Audio CD)
their aren't enough great tracks to make it a real classic. That's not to say that this album doesn't have some classic tracks, Jealous Guy, Gimme Some Truth, Oh Yoko! and of course Imagine itself are some of Lennon's best but I feel it's dragged down by some lightweight tracks such as It's So Hard and I Don't Want To Be A Soldier. On a whole, the remastered Imagine is an album that any Beatle or Lennon should have, it's never sounded this good before and is far better than some of the trash that's around today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Singer/Songwriter, Not Entirely Great Album., 2 Dec. 2012
J. Thompson "Willingale" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imagine (Audio CD)
First to say I think anyone who is interested in music over the past 50 years should hear this CD.
For me the best tracks are the first three.
Imagine is a massive song whatever your beliefs, so much longing and hope all in one song. Also John gets piano sounds which are spine chillingly good.
Crippled Inside is a very good song with some great insight into the flawed human condition, but the music sounds very light and happy.
Jealous Guy is truely wonderful, just coming from John's heart, this is far, far better than Roxy Music's version from 1981.
The rest swing between love songs to loud and rough tracks, the latter seem somehow out of place on this album.
At the end of the day there's no denying the brillance of the first three songs, just listern and hear a master at work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bitter & Sweet, 15 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Imagine (Audio CD)
John referred to this album when it came out in 1971 as Plastic Ono Band (his previous record) with sugar on the top. That's a fair description but this record has its bitter moments too.
Arguably Lennon's second best solo effort (it's a toss up between this and the wonderful Walls and Bridges) is an excellent album.
I don't really need to say anything about the title track do I?
Cripped Inside is your first slice of bitter to compliment the sweet of Imagine. Excellent slide guitar on this track played by George Harrison. This track would have fitted brilliantly onto the previous album.
If you only ever heard the dreadful Roxy Music cover of Jealous Guy, then you need to hear this version. A song full of emotion in both voice and instruments. Probably Lennon's most complete song up to this point.
It's So Hard is a 12 bar blues thing. A bit of a throwaway really, but not unpleasant.
I Don't Want To Be A Soldier is the albums filler. Slightly over 6 minutes of complete dross. Dreary music and repetetive lyrics.I first bought this LP in 1976 and hated this song from the first time I heard it, nothing since has changed my mind.
Give Me Some Truth is another of Lennon's vicious rants, polititans being the target this time.
"I'm sick and tired of hearing things by
up tight,short sighted,narrow minded hypocites
All I want is the truth, just give some truth".
Great song.
Next up is the gorgeous Oh My Love, credited as being co-written with Yoko. I'm not sure what her imput was but even if it was just the inspiration this is one of Lennon's finest moments and my personal favourite from this album.
How Do You Sleep? is the vitrolic attack on McCartney.
"The sound you make is Muzak to my ears
You must have learnt something all those years"
"The only thing you done was Yesterday
And since you've gone you're just Another Day"
Maybe a little unfair but the song captures the feelings and emotions of the time and was written as a reply to Macca coating him off on his Ram album (Too many people preaching practices).
Put the lyrical content aside for a moment and listen to John's superb vocal performance as he spits out those lyrics out and while you're at it check out Harrisons brilliant slide guitar work.
How is another beautiful song where John questions himself.
"How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing"
The album closes with another love song for Yoko, appropriately called Oh Yoko! However this is an upbeat song rather than a slow ballad. The words are silly but its another great song and as the harmonica at the end flips from the left speaker to the right you're ready for some more.
I think if this album had not been made by an ex-Beatle it still would have sold by the bucket load as the songs are so strong.
A couple of lines about the packaging. The original LP came with a huge poster of Lennon in his white room at Tittenhurst Park at the white grand piano and a postcard of John fondling the ears of a pig in a parody of McCartney Ram cover. Obviously theres no poster or postcard but these are replicated within the pages of the booklet and the lyrics are here too, something I didnt get with my vinyl copy.
The sound is an improvement on the original and I'm glad that EMI weren't tempted to add any extra tracks on the end. This album is just fine as it is and I sometimes think that the odd added extra, detracts from the original album.Seeing as this was released in 1971, Power To The People would have been favourite to be tagged on the end and that would have added nothing to this masterpeice.
I doubt that anyone that has ever bought this album has regretted that decision. Every decerning record collection needs this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars HOW DO YOU SLEEP? HOW?, 22 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Imagine (Audio CD)
"Imagine" may not have been as groundbreaking or as superb as "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band," but it's certainly more listenable. There is not much that can really be said for the opening title track, except that it has probably had more effect on people as a whole than any other popular song of the 20th century. The way that the piano softly fluctuates as Lennon fantasises about a world with no religion, countries, war, bloodshed or possessions and invites us to do also, and then a lush string quartet - which never goes over the top and always stays in a tender and controlled mood - is introduced as John sings, "you may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one, I hope someday you'll join us and the world will live as one" to convict us that it really would work, if only we would all let it be more than a dream - inspires awe. The other masterpiece of the album is "Jealous Guy," one of John's tenderest and sincerest odes to his wife in which he apologises for an un-named incident and acknowledges his own frailty: "I'm just a jealous guy." There's also the diatribe "How Do You Sleep?" aimed directly at Beatles collaborator and close friend Paul McCartney, with such cruel but irresistible lines as, "The only thing you done was 'Yesterday'." The album basically swings from the political to the confessional - in fact, "Imagine" is probably the most exemplary and typical demonstration of John Lennon's work as a whole - even if "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" is just a little bit better.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best of the post-'Beatles' albums! a masterpiece, 2 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Imagine (Audio CD)
I have been, for almost a year now, a mega, mega Beatles fan. John Lennon is my favourite, but after listening to some of his solo work, I was, at first, put off from John and preffered albums like Paul's 'Band On The Run'. But after buying 'Imagine', I have seriously reconsidered my feelings towards John 's solo work. There are NO weak songs on this album. It is full of excellent and quite different songs; the best songs (apart from Imagine and Jealous Guy) are How?, Crippled Inside, Oh Yoko, and the best of them all 'How Do You Sleep?'. A dramatic attack at Paul, with atmospheric tune and lyrics. Brilliant. Buy it!!!! It's John Lennon, without doubt, at his best!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece!, 14 July 2002
This review is from: Imagine (Audio CD)
Everyone goes on about whether or not people would like or even listen to ex-Beatles albums if not for the fact that they were Beatles. Well this album has two of the greatest songs ever written on it, Imagine and Jealous Guy, even though Imagine has been over-used and no-one really takes in the positive hopes of lyrics.
Musically Imagine the album is not fantastic. Its good and solid, like Lennon as an out and out musician. The true magic in this album comes from the lyrics. Lyrically this is by far the best album I have ever heard. Jealous Guy is something every...er...Jealous Guy can relate to. Imagine speaks about religion causing war, something incredibly poignant after Sept 11th. Listen to Crippled Inside and think of any two faced liar you have ever met.
Overall the album is moody for the best part and if that is not your cup of tea but you like songs like Imagine go buy Lennon Legend. However, if you want the business buy this...
The only problem with the remaster, which does make it sound far better, is that they could have put songs like Instant Karma and Give Peace a Chance on the end, pushing it beyond the 39 minute length it is now. However, I'm not sure when these songs came out exactly and might probably be better off on the John Lennon'Yoko Ono album that came out before this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply, a Classic!, 13 Oct. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Imagine (Audio CD)
As a fan of the Beatles since the sixties, I can recommend this album to anybody with even a remote interest in Lennon's music.This album, with McCartneys 'Band on The Run' are the two best 'post Beatles' albums available.Oddly enough, I've never been mad about 'Imagine' but the other tracks on this are superb.'Oh My Love' would not have been out of place on the 'White Album' and even the 'dig' at McCartney in 'How Do You Sleep', while I think unwarranted is typical Lennon and should not be taken 'to heart'.Musically this is much more basic then the more majestic Beatles albums or even 'Band on The Run' but that said this is Lennon at his raw, direct best.An album for all collections!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good songs, 6 Oct. 2007
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imagine (Audio CD)
I love Lennon's Imagine, even though it is his most popular work. There is a maturity in the best songs from Imagine that was only hinted at previously. We should be happy that he went back to his old style of writting, pre Ono.

If you already own Imagine is it worth buying again? The depth, clarity and overall sound quality has been greatly improved. Imagine had become very familiar to most folks just from all the radio airplay most of the songs had received over the years. But since time has passed, so has the radio play.

So if you love the songs, want to hear them the way they were inteneded, buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best of John's work that was officially released, 18 Dec. 2000
Craig Duckham (Dartford, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imagine (Audio CD)
In my opinion this is the best album of alll that John released. However, a lot of his best (Most intelligent, obscene and provocative work) was never released, so i also recommend his anthology which is also great. But to really appreciate the work which has gone into the album you must see one of the two docu-films: Gimme soime truth or Imagine they are a true reflection of his great effort and skill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Imagine
Imagine by John Lennon (Audio CD - 2009)