4.0 out of 5 stars Interestingly different
Published on 23 July 2000 by jurek@compuserve.com

3.0 out of 5 stars A "Musical Football Match"
Published on 30 Mar 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Interestingly different, 23 July 2000
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
I have all Jarre's CD's and, and having read the reviews and comments before going out to buy this album, everyone made me apprehensive about purchasing it. Usually I have always bought his CD's with excited enthusiasm, hoping not to be disappointed with the purchase, not knowing what to expect, and I must say thanks to all the reviewers who gave negative vibes. You lowered my expectations and I loved the CD ! Everyone talks of the Gagarin and Million Stars, yeh they are great, but the first 2 tracks are brilliant too! Especially the 2nd track. Even my wife loved it and she is not a Jarre fan! OK guys, it is not devout typical Jarre, but c'mon, what is? He has always done different things which his fans have acknowledged as being excellent albums. Zoolook, Revolutions. Metamorphosis is an album of great music. Times change and we can't expect his new albums to be of nostalgic similarity to Oxygene and Equinox, else they would not be regarded as the Classics they were and still are.
Well done Jarre for an interestingly different album. After all, that is what great composers do. Re-invent and discover new ways of representing music.
PS: It doesn't sound anything like Enya. Obviously those people who thought that do not have Enya albums.
End Note: Go out and buy it if you are a fan of Jarre and electronic music, and enjoy turning up the music loud in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the future?, 22 Oct 2001
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
Having read the mixed reviews below, and having listened to this album many times since its release, I feel obliged to comment. Like all the negative reviewers (most who appear to be ardent Jarre fans), upon first listening, I found myself asking if Jean Michel had finally sold out. An album of single-length tracks...with lyrics!?! Certainly a far cry from the genius length and subtle nuances of Waiting for Cousteau. Upon further listening, however, and when combining the songs with the visual splendour that was 'The Twelve Dreams of the Sun' concert, the album does reveal itself for what it is: another work of musical art from the master himself. Like all Jarre's albums, there are peaks and troughs, but (in my opinion), the peaks are never as high as the beauty of 'Miss Moon' or the kicking sounds of 'Hey Gargarin' and 'Give Me A Sign'. And is 'Silhouettes' not Jarre at his composing peak? Personally, I think you could place this track in any of his best existing albums, and it would only enhance the experience. If you are a fan of any of Jarre's work, I would urge you to buy this album. As already mentioned, by another reviewer, force yourself to listen with trepadation, and it will only make the ride that much sweeter. If this is the future of Jean Michel, I welcome it with open arms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jarre amazed me at the Pyramids!, 31 May 2000
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
Jean Michel Jarre is one of my new-found favourite music artists. I first heard his music years ago, after hearing his catchy tune Oxygene IV, but didn't know who it was by. But at the Pyramids on Millennium night, I found out who: The fantastic Jean Michel Jarre. I am only 11 years old but I am a huge fan of his. At this very moment I am listening to his best track from Metamorphoses, Hey Gagarin, it's got a good rhythm, it's good to dance to, and, of course, I was there when it was first performed, which makes it even better. This is a brilliant album. I would advise anyone to buy it who likes a good variety of music, anything from up-beat dance tracks (Hey Gagarin) to haunting melodies (Millions of Stars), or perhaps just an easy listening track, like Je Me Souviens or the brilliant Bells. There is only one problem: This album only lasted about two weeks in the UK Album Chart, Jarre could do with more publicity. I have become a Jean Michel Jarre fan: I have inhaled the Oxygene, and bought my first Jarre album, the brilliant Metamorphoses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jarre steps confidently into the new millennium, 13 Feb 2000
Alexander Wilson (Mayfield, Midlothian) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
In keeping with its title, Jarre's "Metamorphosis" shows a departure from his previous efforts. "Metamorphosis" is electronic music, and largely instrumental. An unsettling cross between Vangelis and the likes of Orbital or perhaps Underworld, with several tracks sounding remarkably similar to some of the tracks on Sting's new album, "Brand New Day", "Metamorphosis" is original, uplifting, modern, and paced. Jarre is clearly a genius, combining eastern mystique, experimentalism, and Celtic charms with your typical drum and bass to devastating effect. There's just something about this album, difficult to place, which makes it rise well above the competition.
As you thrust the volume up, and sink back into the warmth of your favourite armchair, you can feel yourself being transported to one of Ridley Scott's off-world colonies, tracks like 'Millions of Stars' feel like they've been ripped straight out of BladeRunner. Jarre's score oozes confidence, knows which way it is heading, and knows how good it really is. Run off the mill night club-fodder need not apply, this music is just not for you. It has intelligence and depth, and to be honest, most of the tracks are more trance-like, not pumpin' drum and bass. Jarre has been producing stuff like this since '77, when "Oxygene" was released, and by the sounds of it, he's matured and improved with age. Criticisms? Not really, but the mobile phone on 'Tout Est Bleu' might just start to get on your nerves after a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars The clue is in the title, 17 Mar 2004
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
This is going to be short and I really did enjoy this album. I also agree its not Rendezvous, but it was never meant to be. The clue is in the title folks? Metamorphoses! Yep.... its about change. Musicians have points of departure and whether we like it or not its what stops stagnation (usually).
This album is Jarre showing us that Oxygen and the likes of, were purely an early direction to this release and his many others.
If you appreciate JMJ you have to buy this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars A "Musical Football Match", 30 Mar 2002
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
You're probably wondering why I have compared a Jarre album to a Football match. The comparison is not so stark: at the beginning, a fresh, new challenge awaits and the opening tracks are sufficient enough to entice the listener and get a sense of the action. However, in the second half, everything starts getting tired and eventually runs out of steam, leaving nothing really spectacular.
Musically, this is a new Jarre - while it is good that he is reinventing his style, "Metamorphoses" doesn't really do much justice. The imagery and atmospheres that he creates so impeccably are present on only a few tracks, making the album less coherent and less considered - perhaps this was the result of his recent success in the UK singles chart (three consecutive Top 20s)... who knows?
In summary, the album is best compared to 1984's "Zoolook" and, in my opinion, stands out more favourably. However, all of Jarre's characteristics that we've come to know and love are practically missing. Chances are you already have "Oxygene", so I would have to recommend "Rendezvous" and "Chronologie" as more consistent Jarre albums.
Perhaps his new direction was just too new?

5.0 out of 5 stars At least, we can breath: Jarre is alive and well!, 15 Feb 2000
A. P. Marquez "redshore" (Tallahassee, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of Jean Michel since my elementary school days (I'm now 26), I was really sad to hear the tons of garbage (compilations, remixes, togethers now, odysseys, untalented DJ's,...) that came along with Oxygene 7-13, a moderately "O.K."album. It seemed like Jean Michel had nothing more to say. But I still held a hope in my heart. And here is. After his last "sins", Jarre has come out to the world of music with quality. He shows with this Metamorphoses that still have much to say in the world of music. There are now a lot of alternatives for advanced electronic music (Steve Roach, Vidna Obmana, Vir Unis, Robert Rich,... these artists are TRUE innovators) and for me it was interesting to see what have to offer the "master". And he offered a lot with the new CD, a very well needed refreshing change. A perfect blend of emotion, rythm, fascinating electronics and soundworlds, enchanting melodies, passion, quieter moments, and at least, an album longer than 42 minutes! Both thumbs up for Metamorphoses!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new Jarre who will amaze you, 15 April 2000
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
If you expect another "Oxygene" or another "Equinoxe", don't buy this Cd. But if you love electronic music - and you didn't know Jarre before -, if you love dance music and didn't think about buying a Jarre album, then it's time you changed your mind.
"Metamorphoses" is something completely new in Jarre's production: the quality is surely much much better than in some of his most recent albums. Jarre manages to mix dance tunes and intelligent electronic melodies: it's a surprise. Moreover, the Cd is not in the least monotone: there's so much variety that you will never get bored.
"Je me souviens", "C'est la vie", "Gloria, Lonely Boy", "Bells" are all wonderful tracks. Of course they are in a way more "difficult" than some of the most traditional Jarre "wallpaper" music and you need more concentration and repeated listenings to catch the grasp of this new sound. "Metamorphoses" is much in the tradition of the 1984 "Zoolook".
Jarre proves that he can develop new ideas and be always on the forefront.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Jarre album to date?, 28 Oct 2003
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
This is such a large step forward from Oxygene and Equinoxe that this should open up a new audience for JMJ's cutting edge music.
This album is so varied, that JMJ has applied different themes to run through the 12 tracks.
Personal favourites 'Je Me Souviens' and 'Rendez-vous à Paris'
show JMJ using computerised vocals and bass keyboards to enhance the tracks.
With Natacha Atlas adding her fine passionate Arabesque vocals to C'est la Vie and even Sharon Corr turns up to play her violin on a track, its so varied.
I think the track 'Bells' is JMJ's offering of future drum and bass, but listenable, which is very catchy, but the last track is so haunting 'Silhouette'.
I would say JMJ appeals all around the world, with his cutting edge concerts and he hasn't made a bad album, but I think this is hist best and most varied.
I also recommend 'Zoolook'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Jean michel jarre!, 20 April 2000
This review is from: Metamorphoses (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of his 'organic' music for many years now but after reading some of the reviews,I got a bit worried that this new album may not be that good. I was worried about the ZOOLOOK connection but all my fears went away when I listened to it. It's a beautiful album with really superb tracks that will make you get stoned without hashish or drugs. Your brain will tinkle with the music and the strange vocals. My favourite tracks are all of them but specifically 'Bells' for rising up in the morning (next to this track, most of today's dance music sounds quite flat and boring), 'Tout est Bleu' for inspiration and optimism on a cloudy and rainy day in London, 'Silhouette' for a dreamy and out of this world mood. I can't wait for the release of the CD of the Millenium concert he did in Egypt by the Pyramids! Hurry up Jean Michel!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Metamorphoses
Metamorphoses by Jean Michel Jarre (Audio CD - 2000)