5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album for the new millenium!
Published on 24 April 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it my imagination, or have I heard it somewhere before ?
Published on 10 Feb. 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album for the new millenium!, 24 April 2000
This review is from: The Screen Behind the Mirror (Audio CD)
I was suprised at the reviewer who stated that Enigma will never win any prizes for invention. That's funny ... as Enigma is probably the most unique music to have ever been heard on the radio and it is impossible for any band to be 100% original. Everything ultimately comes from somewhere else. Obviously, Enigma must possess something strikingly different about them to have gained such a cult following of fans that have so far, lasted an entire decade. That certainly won't happen for Britney or Backstreet Boys ... and it certainly didn't happen for the now forgotten Spice Girls! ; )
The elements Enigma uses to create it's sound are all derived from various sources, but when blended together they created a unique formula that has yet to be duplicated by anyone else, despite the number of try-hard immitators.
Although "The Screen Behind the Mirror" basis it's theme on the piece "O fortuna" by Carl Orff, the song is heard in an entirely different way than one may think giving the music a unique twist. This cd is still my #1 most played album in my cd player. I listen to it on end and love every track on this cd! It's sensual, diverse, moody yet dance-driven, and the song "Push the Limits" is sure to become a club favorite since it's recent single release in some countries!
Most highley reccommended for those with eclectic taste in music who are looking for something meaningful and unique to listen to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Simply the Best Yet !, 27 Dec. 2000
This review is from: The Screen Behind the Mirror (Audio CD)
The Screen Behind The Mirror is definitely the best Enigma yet ! I dont understand how people can say that this album is rushed, contrived or unoriginal. When I first listened to it i wanted it to last forever, i enjoyed it that much. It strikes a perfect balance between the first album and the third, with enough strong dance beats and etheral voices to win over even the most anti - enigma person. The songs which most stand out to me are push the Limits, Gravity of Love, The Screen Behind the Mirror, and Camera Obscura.
Its just brilliant !

5.0 out of 5 stars As stealthy as all of Enigma's previous releases, 30 Jan. 2000
Having bought Enigma's first hit single 'Sadeness' back in 1990, I was very disappointed at the first listening of the album it came from - MCMXC a.D. But it wasn't too long before I found that it's power stealthily crept upon me, and I found myself swept away, enraptured by this perfection. And I have experienced the same initial disappointment, followed by later enrapture with each subsequent Enigma release.

They say 'start as you mean to go on', and it has always been clear that Michael Cretu has clung to that little nugget. With 'The Screen Behind The Mirror', it again appears that he has done the same. But in the strongest defense of his possible genius, what others call 'more of the same' and 're-hash', I call an artistic, musical and spiritual quest to express ONENESS.

It is clear that all of Enigma's albums are connected in a way that I think has never been done before, making them collectively ONE great big album that only serves to prolong the ecstasy they induce. For this reason, I cannot pick out any one track for analysis, believing as I do, that this album must be considered as part of it's collective. And from this point of view, this latest release really does deserve 5 stars.

All you who have complained about this release know that ultimately you will come to love it as much as the other albums, just as you already see their unity. We buy the latest remix or re-interpretation of any particular recording, precicely because we want to extend the pleasure it already gives us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning!!, 21 Feb. 2001
Mr. P. W. Naylor "ghostlight76" (Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have loved every single one of Cretu's albums but I think that Screen Behind the Mirror is perhaps the best. Yes, there are common themes that "Screen" borrows from its predecessors but that is the identifying signature of Engima, which gives it a certain familiarity, but there is so much more to give the sense of a completely different journey. Although some might accuse Cretu of dabbling in cliche with the inclusion of Carl Orff's O Fortuna I think that his ambient styles and mastery of his art give this rousing piece of classical work an even higher definition. My spine tingles every time I hear it.
The introduction (borrowing heavily from Vangelis' Albedo 0.39) opens the album well and I adore the female vocals voicing Cretu's message ("basic instinct, social life. Paradoxes side by side") whilst accompanied by his trademark tribal chanting. Gravity of Love is without doubt one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard (ideal for intimate evenings in with a girlfriend!) and affirms my opinion that good music is the best head-trip there is. Endless Quest and Between Mind & Heart are also wonderful pieces which deserve top volume.
Overall, Screen Behind the Mirror is essential listening to Enigma fans and is a beautiful piece to anyone who likes music for the mind. After after each Enigma outing I often wondered how better a next album might be and thought of it with some trepidation. Screen Behind the Mirror confirms my belief that Micheal Cretu is perhaps one of the most gifted musicians in the world today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Good, 21 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
I think Michael Cretu has done it again. He very occasionally gets chart hits, but personally I think he releases the wrong singles from his album on to the singles chart!
Enigma 4 is a brilliant addition to the series that have been produced every 3 years over the past decade. It has all the qualities of the previous albums and more - If u don't have the first 3, I recommend you buy the Triology CD pack to compliment. A "must listen" - Top Ratings!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Carmina Mesmerisina, 19 Feb. 2014
Nicholas Casley (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Screen Behind the Mirror (Audio CD)
I heard this music when it was being played in a local cinema, and I asked the projectionist about it.

It seems to be heavily influenced by a number of good sources, not just the obvious one of Carl Orff’s ‘Carmina Burana’. For instance, the opening track (‘The Gate’) of the CD’s eleven tracks has a snippet of ‘Saturn’ from Holst’s ‘Planets Suite’ as well as Vangelis’s ‘Albedo’. Other tracks are reminiscent of Mike Oldfield’s ‘The Songs of Distant Earth’ (in ‘Push the Limits’ and ‘Between Mind & Heart’), Frankie Goes to Hollywood (in ‘Camera Obscura’), and Genesis’s eponymous album (in ‘Endless Quest’). The vocals and soundworld of ‘Gravity of Love’ reminded me too of Carol Decker’s work with T’Pau.

The overall sound conveys the music of the dance-floor, where the voice is used as just another instrument. This is not always the case, for sure, and there are also some imaginative arrangements. However, there are also some longueurs that lack development, thus resulting unfortunately in a number of lost opportunities.

Much of the music, despite its modern sound, is contemplative. ‘Traces’ is mesmerising, whereas ‘Between Mind & Heart’ possesses a slower pace. Some of the meditations are instrumentals, where a particular approach dominates, such as the guitar work in ‘Smell of Desire’. But across the album as a whole it is percussion that has the prevailing sway.

But is it good enough to purchase another of Enigma’s CDs? Yes, I think so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 10 Nov. 2003
This review is from: The Screen Behind the Mirror (Audio CD)
Beautiful music. I just got it yesterday and sank into blissful relaxation. Words really don't do it justice. You sink into it, you relax, you forget about everything else. You can just drift away on it. But at the same time you can be jerked up by it, as a strong theme kicks in.
Lovely stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it my imagination, or have I heard it somewhere before ?, 10 Feb. 2000
This review is from: The Screen Behind the Mirror (Audio CD)
I've been an Enigma fan for quite a long time, for about 5 years. When I found out that their fourth album is almost out, I ordered it and couldn't wait to listen to it. Now I should say that I'm rather disappointed. It is very much like "Le Roi Est Mort": the same melodies, sounds, "voices of stars", ideas, the same conception. If I hadn't heard the third one, I would have admired this album, but... something prevents me from this... though all the albums by Enigma are certainly parts of the whole, they're connected with each other and must have something in common.
I gave it three stars- in proportion with the number of the outstanding tracks on the album. Of course, there are some, that's why I will listen to it in future. But it certainly won't become the album which I think of first when I hear the word "Enigma". It is "The Cross of Changes"- my "love from the first sight".
I'll be sorry if this album is the last one by Enigma. But it would be much better than producing "children" of the earlier ones. I believe that Michael Cretu ought to leave the career of musician for some time- it is the best way of getting new impressions and saving his good name.
I'm gonna wait for something really new from Enigma. I believe that they still have something to say to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Album, 20 Oct. 2007
Mr. J. Aldous (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
I am a little perplexed by the Amazon Reviewer on a number of issues. Firstly, I presume the reviewer means "Push the Limits" not "Push Out the Limits." Hardly bodes well for a review if the reviewer can't even be bothered to pick up the CD case to check he (she) knows what he (she) is talking about! Secondly, as has already been mentioned, anything worth doing in music has already been done - nothing these days is even remotely original. Thirdly, it is deeply unfair, not mention wholly untrue, to describe ambient music as not having any "beat." There's plenty of rhythm and beat in Engima's music, this album included.

Anyway, as for the This CD, I have to say I love it but then I am a big fan of Enigma. 'Push the Limits', 'Gravity of Love' and 'Silence Must be Heard' are the stand out tracks for me, but the whole album must be enjoyed as a complete entity - it is not merely a collection of tracks but a musical journey. To listen to the tracks individually and out of order would do Enigma a grave injustice. With this in mind, I find this album wonderful to listen to after a hard day's work, laying back on the sofa with a nice tipple or something, low level lighting and a relaxing fragrance hanging in the air.

In short, if you want some smooth ambient music to set the mood, this album could be what you are after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Nov. 2011
I discovered Enigma years ago and only had one of their CD's. However I recently re-discovered them and can't believe I've wasted all these years by not listening to their complete collection. I've just bought this one and love it! Its an unusual mix of classical, rock and with a twist of native american themes. I will be trying to catch up buying the rest of the collection.

The Screen Behind the Mirror
The Screen Behind the Mirror by Enigma (Audio CD - 2000)