‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars David Cassidy Greatest Hits Collection, 21 Mar 2001
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
There are only three problems with this compilation: 1. The Partridge Family tracks are almost identical to the Partridge Family Greatest Hits CD (which incidentally includes "Come on Get Happy"). It would have been better to have more of his solo album tracks and fewer Partridge Family album tracks. 2. It has US sleeve notes and so does not refer to UK hits 3. Does not include "The Puppy Song" or any of his hits after leaving Bell - ie. "I Write the Songs" or "Darlin'" That having been said, it's great to finally have a David Cassidy Greatest Hits on CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than worth every penny, 19 Jun 2001
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
I'm sorry, but it's great. I was a big David Cassidy fan and bought this CD mostly because all my LPs have stayed in their plastic covers for yonks and I never go to the trouble of getting them out and playing them. After all, I'm a grown up now - far too sensible and mature to play that sort of stuff. And CDs are so much more convenient for grown-ups to deal with. But when I saw that this collection was available on CD I thought it would be a bit of a giggle to buy it. Get ready, girls - when you put this CD on you are transported back to being a teenager! All the old feelings come rushing back - you're fourteen again! You know it's simple music and designed to appeal to young teenage girls - but what the heck, we were young teenage girls and we ate it up! You remember all the words of all the songs and you can't avoid singing along. The only strange thing is that when you played the original records to death you may have got used to jumps in the well-worn records shortening parts of the favourite songs - and yet on the CD they are miraculously whole again! Quite odd. Great stuff. If you like me don't look at the track list and just sit back, prepared for nice surprises as you hear the old songs pop up in an unexpected order, your smile muscles will ache, your eyes will be mist over with recollections of those heady 1970s and being a teenager. And if you loved this music then, you'll love it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Original recordings, 15 Sep 2004
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
This is the nearest thing to a definitive David Cassidy Greatest Hits collection - up to 1974 when he left Bell records and went to RCA to do "I Write the Songs" and his few remaining hits thereafter. "Then and Now" has inferior re-recordings of some of these songs which miss the essence of the originals' vitality and sense of fun. The only problems with this album are: 1. "I Am a Clown" is butchered with the first verse mercilessly chopped off altogether so it begins with the chorus; 2. No "Puppy Song" which was a UK #1 (with Daydreamer as a double A side) and one of my favourites - can't imagine why they forgot it; 3. One or two unnecessary cheesy Partridge Family numbers like "Point me in the Direction" which shouldn't have been included; and 4. No original theme song for the Partridge Family which would have been a good final track.
Despite these criticisms - a great CD for the car - easy to get nostalgic and sing along! 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings all the memories of teenage crushes flooding back, 31 Aug 2001
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
When I first saw this on CD I couldn't wait to order and be transported back to those days of bubblegum music and lighthearted pop. The CD was not disappointing. From the first notes to the very end every happy nerve tingles and I found myself singing along to all the old favourites. A good mix of Partridge Family and solo David Cassidy. A must for all DC fans especially if, like me, your old vinyls spend more time in the cardboard wallets than they do on the record deck

5.0 out of 5 stars nostalgia that sounds just how you remembered it, 25 July 2000
Mrs A McCartney (Wigan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
If you've been a fan of David Cassidy (and the Partridge Family - perhaps!) then this is the CD to buy. All the good sounds on one CD. Great songs with great memories for those of us born in the sixties and who enjoyed the sounds of our teens in the seventies. You'll enjoy it and won't be sorry you bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, they were bubble gum but they've stayed the course, 18 Mar 2001
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
Manufactured, irrelevant, not even worthy of a footnote in popular music history. Maybe these things are all true, but as a mid forties father and husband, I was stunned to see the pleasure this CD brought to my wife. You see, she was a MAJOR Cassidy fan way back then. Like every other teenage boy, mainly through outright jealousy, I dimissed Mr Cassidy and the PF as unworthy of my acknowledgement that they even existed. However, there's no doubt that they existed and there's no doubt that they had a very important role to play in 70's teenage culture. The songs? Well, they are a damn site better than I remembered them to be. More than anything, like it or not, they triggered all sorts of 70's memories that I never knew I had. Serious music? Nope, not in the slightest. A worthwhile album if you were a teenager at the time? You better believe it. Low on cost, high on nostalgia but none the poorer for that. I've paid an awful lot more and in return, received an awful lot less........even if it is only in the wry smiles department. Highly recommended. Go on guys, you might even enjoy the experience. After all, there's nothing to be jealous of anymore is there?

4.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic trip back to the 70's, 27 Sep 2000
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
Having enjoyed the Partridge Family on TV in the 70's, it was a delight to hear again such classics as Daydreamer and How can I be Sure. Cherish is included in the film Never Been Kissed with Drew Barrymore, so it can't be bad. Brilliant for all those 30 something Cassidy fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE GORGOEUS GIANT CHUNK OF NOSTALGIA, 26 Mar 2002
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
I loved this CD INSTANTLY..With the first track I was whisked back to the early seventies and was sucked in by the velveteen breathy voice of D.C.This is the first time in almost thirty years that I have put the stereo on repeat, and repeat and repeat. Thank God for personal stereos. You don't need to be a big P.F fan to love this ..you just need to have been "around" in your early teens in the early seventies.. This one oozes prepubescent memories, sing-a-long-ability and so more.....

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant evocation of our innocent 70s youth, 24 Feb 2001
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
Probably the most under-rated artist of the 70s, David Cassidy's talent is all-too apparent in this long-awaited compilation. Thrill to the heartfelt emotions of 'Cherish' and 'Could It Be Forever' and remember David's brief but brilliant solo career; then listen to the wonderful harmonies of 'The Family' as they perform the true classic 'It's One Of Those Nights'. How has this material resisted the cover version treatment of today's teen bands? And why are no PF or DC videos ever seen on television? Buy this CD and relive a happier and more simple time.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album made me wish I'd been born 10 years earlier., 24 Jun 2001
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
My interest in David Cassidy has grown over the last couple of years (was a twinkle in my parents' eyes at the height of his fame). After booking tickets to see him in concert I thought I'd better get hold of some music and I'm so glad I bought this album. It made me wish I'd been born 10 years earlier so that I could experience the excitement first time round. This is now one of my favourite albums. The songs are all so catchy it hasn't taken long for them to be embedded in my mind. I was too young to see the Partridge Family but would have to say this album has to be a must for any David Cassidy or Partridge Family fan, or indeed for any fan of romance!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Definitive Collection
Definitive Collection by David Cassidy (Audio CD - 2001)