Songs for Me (and My Baby)
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£1.73+£1.26shipping

VINE VOICEon 18 December 2007
bought this album because of two songs - It's Alright, which I vaguely knew and which my friend kept playing to me, and Into The Night, which I downloaded by accident. Both of those songs are simply brilliant; lovingly crafted pop songs of the highest order. The vocals are hauting, and the melodies brilliant.

The Motorhomes are out of the school of Scandinavian bands, who produce excellent mid-tempo 'indie' music. It's always mystified me why none of them - such as the Motorhomes, or Kent, for example - have become huge on this side of the North Sea. This album may be the reason.

This album is quite good. But not brilliant. Those two songs are wonderful, but the rest of them don't really add up. They are ok, but not good, or good but not great. And perhaps not edgy enough to ever be singles.

It's almost worth buying it just for It's Alright and Into the Night, but if you don't want to do that, then probably most helpful thing I can say is that this would be good music to put on in the background, but not something you'd necessarily listen to actively. And if you were to listen to the album, you'd find it difficult not to flick to those two singles. Make up your own mind!
on 12 June 2000
I found the soothing sounds of the motorhomes not so long ago. The best track of the entire album being "its allright". Their uniquely calm and yet positive sound reminds you sometimes of Travis but instead of loosing the vibe somewhere along the line like the previously mentioned band it remains consistent thoroughout. The combination of clever, sometimes inspiring guitar riffs and the haunting vocals of Mattias Edlund let the feeling of relaxation truely sink in. "Into the night" is a track that makes you wanna close your eyes and forget the world around you. Songs for me (and my baby) is a truely fine album once you slide it into your CD player lie back and listen. Soon the genius of this relatively new band will seep into your mind and you'll become as fond of their sound as I am. Relax for The Motorhomes will soon make everything feel alright again with their uniquelly soothing vibe.
on 25 January 2006
Buy this album. If you don't, somebody else will and their life will therefore be better than yours. Its as simple as that.
on 21 July 2010
If Oasis had still been able to write a decent tune then this is what it would have sounded like. Better tunes, better voice, and far more interesting. Songs for Me is a great cd and demonstrates that Britain doesn't always have the edge on progressive rock music. The Motorhomes are a treat.
on 22 May 2002
I first heard the single 'The Man' off their second album, 'The Long Distance Runner' which isn't available on here at the time of writing this review.

After purchasing 'The Long Distance Runner' in Sweden I was hooked and upon buying 'Songs For Me (And My Baby)' I didn't think it could compete. But it does, and very well.

Both albums are excellent, but with all the very best bands they change from album to album, so I can not say which is better, depends on your mood. With this album being slightly slower.

'Songs For Me (And My Baby)' on first listen reminds me of a much more accomplished Travis, a more talented Gene or even a better Marillion or an alternate Radiohead. To mention these bands when referring to The Motorhomes could be seen as a huge compliment to The Motorhomes, but perhaps it is the other way round as they really are that good.

Favourites on this album has to be, 'It's Alright', the sort of track that has to be listened to again as soon as the track has finished, The Motorhomes are very good at writing that sort of song.

One question is why I had to live in Sweden to discover them, why aren't they massive over here in the UK?

***UPDATE 07/2010***
I still enjoy this album but have reduced the rating because I did get carried away when I initially wrote it. I haven't found myself digging this out for a listen in a long while although I'm unlikely to skip tracks from it if they came up on shuffle. It has some good singles but they the band definitely were (they have split up now) not in the same league as Radiohead, I'm embarrassed that I even mentioned Radiohead in the same review! I would recommend this although it will possibly sound a little dated now.