5.0 out of 5 stars She's good!
I bought this after seeing Sally on The Voice and have listened to it daily. She has a very haunting voice, which compels me to listen. Some of the songs I liked immediately; others have grown on me. I've never been a particular fan of folk music, but I'm definitely now a fan of Sally Barker.
Published 16 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great voice,weak material
Sally Barker has a heart wrenchingly beautiful voice, perhaps more suited to jazz than folk music; having said that, the music on this album is a thoughtful mix of folky, jazzy, mildly rocky crossover.Unfortunately,about half of the material is a bit weak and short of strong musical ideas. Exceptions are "Elephants " and "We Built Fires", which on their own are worth the...
Published on 9 Feb. 2013 by Martin Daly

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a talented singer songwriter, 13 April 2014
Ms. C. M. Triance "carry" (Cotswolds, UK) - See all my reviews
I wish I had known about Sally before The Voice, but then it is always fun to discover a new enthusiasm. I listened to a few of these tracks on Youtube, then decided to start my purchases with this compilation and I am delighted that I did. It includes several really good songs, many written by Sally, all beautifully sung and produced, with excellent sound quality. Sally has a wonderful voice that is surely equal to that of some of the world's great singers like Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins and Carole King. Not only is the tone of her voice exquisitely clean, but it effortlessly straddles the worlds of folk, pop and rock ; on this album there is even a track with a Reggae beat. She is also one of the best storytellers in song, conveying different moods and communicating emotion with ease. I know that I will play this album a lot and I can't wait to see her perform live!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really my genre but good nevertheless, 14 April 2014
I bought this cd having loved Sally's songs on The Voice. My general impression is that she is talented but the songs on this album aren't really ticking the same boxes she ticked on the programme. Having said that, it is always good to listen to a different genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful, 2 May 2014
I am so very very happy I purchased this cd. If I hadn't seen this superb artist Sally Barker on The Voice tv programme, I probably would never have had the most extreme pleasure of hearing her haunting voice and playing this great cd over and over. I had to stop driving my car whilst playing this cd as track 4 reduced me to tears - it was so emotional. Anyone who has not bought this cd should do so immediately - to me it's the best cd I have ever purchased and I have several hundreds in my collection of vinyl and cd's. Thanks so much Sally Barker, you are a beautiful singer and I am extremely pleased you came back to the business after raising your boys. Also many thanks to Tom Jones for picking her to be on his team. Incidentally, I received the cd very quickly indeed after purchase. Thanks very much.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked Sally's voice but on first hearing I was unimpressed ..., 22 July 2014
My wife Sue wanted this album for her birthday. She calls Sally magnificent and could listen to her all day regardless of the material. I liked Sally's voice but on first hearing I was unimpressed by some of the songs here. Then we listened again and I revised my opinion. Not every track is great but she has an undoubtedly affecting voice and uses it in a variety of styles. We both love the blues number Alexis Korner (Still Sings the Blues in Heaven), where Sally lets rip and combines gutsy power with her trademark sensitivity. I'd give it three stars because some of the songs are a little too soft-focus for me, but Sue would say five, so this is a compromise score. She's a genuine talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 7 Oct. 2009
Hatti (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Train (Audio CD)
Great album. I particularly love track 4, "Sleepy Eyes". It's beautiful and emotive all at the same time. If it was released now, it would be a top 10 hit, without a doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love Sally's voice, 20 May 2014
I watched The Voice right from the start and was rooting for Sally from the moment I heard her sing. I was shouting at the telly for all the judges to turn-around and felt such relief when Tom did. If you have not yet listened to this lady sing - start now. Please please someone help Sally make a new album and also please do a full cover version of the Dear Darlin song; the emotion you put into the words is breath taking. I wish you all the best for the future and hope you finally get the recognition that you deserve. Just don't stop singing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful voice, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Another Train (MP3 Download)
Such clarity and exquisite timing on the vocals on this mellow recording - a slow burner the songs gradually get into your head after a few hearings

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE PLEASE!!, 10 April 2014
PLEASE Will Sally's distributors reissue ALL her past CD's at Ok/Reasonable prices as the ones on Amazon right now,apart from this one of course,are ASTRONOMICAL Prices for actual CD's,as I don't want downloads to be honest,I like to have a physical musis entity to hold,look at,read & subsequently play.I still prefer vinyly but CD's are ok I guess.
So once again Sally PLEASE Reissue ALL Your older CD's at affordable prices,thanks :) x

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia at it's best, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Another Train (MP3 Download)
If you long for the quality of Joni Mitchell, Carol King with hints of the master Nick Drake in writing then many of these tracks will fit the bill. Sally's voice is wonderful and evocative. Some artists touch a chord in the soul and she is among the best. Some cracking jazz/folk chords and delicate guitar playing add to the pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to our music collection, 6 Nov. 2014
Love Sally, have seen her perform live with The Poozies & like that this is slightly different material to the folk songs she does with them. This is more bluesy & a good sample of her pre-The Voice career.
Bought it as an anniversary gift for my husband & he is thrilled with it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Another Train
Another Train by Sally Barker (Audio CD - 2000)