Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£22.02+ £1.26 shipping

on 8 March 2014
I bought this after seeing Sally on The Voice and have listened to it daily. She has a very haunting voice, which compels me to listen. Some of the songs I liked immediately; others have grown on me. I've never been a particular fan of folk music, but I'm definitely now a fan of Sally Barker.
on 31 March 2014
If you don't have Sally's other albums a great way to pick up a flavour of what she is about (intelligent, powerful song writing, passionate vocals and great song selection.) The opening track is a fantastic version of Pete Morton's uplifting and moving song 'Another Train' and then moves on to show case the range of Sally's talent. I can't get through Sleepy Eyes without being reduced to tears but I guess you need to read the story behind the song to fully understand what is going on so buy the CD version. A deeply powerful and moving CD.
on 6 March 2014
Honestly, I have played this at least twice a week since buying it .... it's that good !! I heard Sally sing on The Voice TV show and loved her voice so much. I searched the net to find her CDs (I knew she had made about 5 from reading bits on the net). If you like a good pure voice with amazing real-life lyrics - then buy this CD - you won't regret it!! I have played it to visiting friends and they also thought it was amazing.
on 29 March 2014
Sally is exceptional. Truly amazing album. Thanks for Voice for bringing her talent to attention. I hope she wins it. I would her never know that talent like this exists – thank to Tom Jones spotting her.
on 18 March 2014
I decided to buy this after watching Sally sing 'walk on by' on the voice... it made me feel like I was listening to the 'earth singing' through a lovely gentle soul...

The songs are different and show her versatility...the voice is distinctive...I have it playing in the house and car....... it's a growing classic and will probably become quite a land mark album for her before she records new material....

A beautiful lady
on 23 April 2008
I've been a fan of Sally's since about 1981 when i encountered her playing at Cotes Mill on the edge of Loughborough uk as part of Chris & Sally. Her voice and vocal range were captivating, and listening to them became regular Sunday evening listening. The song of hers that has haunted me ever since is 'Alexis Korner still plays the blues in heaven' and I always regretted that as a student I was too poor, or was it too stingy?, to buy one of her cassettes at the time. I'm over the moon that this album has been released as Sally has given me more hours of live listening pleasure than any other musician. I always felt that she was underrated, having the right voice at the wrong time. There are many artistes more highly rated who aren't a patch on her. Buy it and try it!
on 27 April 2014
If anyone watched her blind audition on the Voice, you will know that Sally Barker has already had a career in music .. and with some success. This compilation takes selection from the material she recorded in the early nineties.

Most of it is very good - "Another Train", "Sleepy Eyes" and "Elephants" are excellent tracks, as is "While You Sleep", "Moses" and "We Built Fires". However, perhaps my favourite track is "Alexis Korner (Still Sings the Blues in Heaven)", a wonderful bit of blues (what else). Sally's voice is unmistakeably hers and a lot of the tracks are her own compositions. "Alexis Korner" is just a wonderful exhibition of how to sing with the kind of growl and without the screeching which some singers think they need to let everyone know they can sing. Most fail, but Sally succeeds beautifully.

There are a couple of tracks I do not like - "Nocturnal Visions" and "Die Sorge" do nothing for me and her version of Genesis's "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" is a mistake - she should have left that alone.

Having said all that, not only does she sing well, but her guitar playing is brilliant and her backing musicians are excellent, too.

Sally was also a founder member of the all-female folk/pop band, the Poozies, in which Kate Rusby also had a stint as singer. I love Kate, but think Sally was a better singer for the band - and the Poozies retrospective "Raise Your Head" is a very good companion album to buy with this.

So, just to recap - this is not an introduction to the Sally Barker we saw and loved on the Voice, but a snapshot of her previous career as described. Don't be misled into thinking "Dear Darling" is going to be on this - it isn't. I, along with a lot of other people, will wait in case Sally records a new album with that and other new tracks on it. Until then, this will do nicely.
on 9 February 2013
Sally Barker has a heart wrenchingly beautiful voice, perhaps more suited to jazz than folk music; having said that, the music on this album is a thoughtful mix of folky, jazzy, mildly rocky crossover.Unfortunately,about half of the material is a bit weak and short of strong musical ideas. Exceptions are "Elephants " and "We Built Fires", which on their own are worth the price of the album.
on 18 January 2014
I recently heard Sally sing her interpretation of Nina Simone's song, Don't Let me be Misunderstood on "The Voice" TV show and was totally amazed. Her voice is just loaded with emotion and she reminded a little on Joni Mitchell but more soulful. I immediately searched on Google to try and find her previous recordings and immediately bought "Favourite Dish" and "Another Train". I liked the material on Favourite dish but felt the production let it down a little. However, I absolutely love Another Train and cannot recommend it enough. Not one track that I didn't like and I would highly recommend if you were impressed with her audition on "The Voice".
on 23 March 2014
I have not been so moved by someone's voice since Eva Cassidy. Hope she goes onto fame on The Voice!