4.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to opera.
This double album is an ideal one for getting a taste of opera.
As an Indie music fan with diverse tastes, my exposure to opera had been limited to those pieces used in films and commercials. From those snippets, I had decided that I would like to hear a bit more opera, but was at a loss as to what to buy. I decided upon this album, and was not disappointed.
The...
Published on 11 Mar 2004 by R. Shear

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Price
Published on 26 Mar 2009 by Grace Rostoker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to opera., 11 Mar 2004
R. Shear - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need (Audio CD)
This double album is an ideal one for getting a taste of opera.
The album contains most of the famous arias from all the big opera's and most listeners will recognise several from recent films and adverts (Trainspotting, Mrs. Doubtfire, Driving Miss Daisy, Dangerous Liaisons, etc.).
Where this album falls down is on disc 2, which contains quite a bit of "filler" amongst the better pieces.
However, overall this album is a great showcase for some extraordinary human voices, and a great introduction to an opera novice, or a "best of" album for the connoisseur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful opera album and ALMOST the only one you'll ever need, 5 April 2013
This review is from: The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need (Audio CD)
Received my copy of "The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need" this morning in the post. It's two CDs, each over an hour long, and despite my busy day today I managed to fit them both in. This is, by far, the best selection of operatic works from the great composers I've ever come across - much, much better than "Essential Opera" by Decca and "Classic Opera Experience" by EMI. Whoever selected each track quite obviously chose very wisely and carefully and I was fully enchanted by the beautiful voices of the sopranos, the powerful voices of the tenors and the rich voices of the baritones accompanied by music the world has long loved. In addition to a luscious front cover, you have both a brief introduction to the album and also details on the histories of each featured opera. You even get to hear the FULL "William Tell Overture", the longest track on the album running at 12:09, and inside the booklet they talk you through the four different stages of the overture. With all this said (very proudly) it's hard to question about this being the only operatic one you'll ever need because it's the best one I've ever owned however I can still list a few more operatic greats that I hoped would also make it on the album like "The Birdcatcher's Aria" (Mozart's "The Magic Flute"), Mozart's "Overture" to "Marriage of Figaro", "Bela figlia dell'amore" (Verdi's "Rigoletto") and maybe a few less excerpted recordings too but, after all, it's only one double album and I am totally pleased with it the way it is and so will you if you are an opera lover. When it comes to opera albums, this is your Number 1!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good selection: awful concept., 2 Sep 2004
P. White (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need (Audio CD)
The tracks on this cd are excellent and well worth the money. I get worried about the packaging of this sort of disc though because it reminds me of Tesco's attempt to sell wine to the masses by renaming a mediocre chablis as 'Good with meat' or whatever. If this was called 'Fine Opera' or 'An Opera Sampler' then I'd be a lot happier but the dumb approach of 'The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need' makes me cringe. Once again though: the music is very good and the performances are excellent on the whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars the album lives up to its title, 16 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need (Audio CD)
Many people discover Opera at different stages of their life. This is an excellent introduction to Opera and beautiful background music. Hearing familiar arias only encourages you to see the real thing. For the novice you just can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 4 Mar 2012
D. Hawksworth (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need (Audio CD)
A great album, well worth the money. All classics and recognisable, even if the titles aren't to a recent convert to opera music.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CD, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need (Audio CD)
IT IS NOT THE ONLY ONE I NEED BUT IT CERTAINLY IS GREAT.. I LOVE THE SELECTION OF OPERAS CHOSEN ON THIS!

5.0 out of 5 stars A well named album, 26 July 2011
J. D. OCONNOR - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need (Audio CD)
I purchased this double CD because I had lost a copy of one of those newspaper free CD's of Opera music. Iloved that free CD and it was merely a taster of what is on these two CD's.
The selection of Arias etc is brilliant. I would like to think that after the television program 'Pop Star to Opera Star' even more people would buy this collection for the quality and choice upon them. An excellent value compilation CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Price, 26 Mar 2009
Grace Rostoker (Oceanside, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need (Audio CD)
I probably wouldn't have bought this album if it had not been part of a special offer, but for the price I paid I think it's good value. The sound quality varies a little bit from track to track and I would have liked more information about who was singing what. For easy listening purposes, though, it's fine. I usually play it whilst doing the washing up or something equally mundane, and the music is pleasant enough to help the time pass.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not bother., 15 April 2014
This review is from: The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need (Audio CD)
I was attracted by the title. How wrong can one be! The content is a poor reproduction of popular titles which any opera lover would have already. For any newcomer to about to try out an opera cd - look elsewhere.

Eamonn Farrelly, music lover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Opera CD, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need (Audio CD)
Good Tracks. Close your eyes and disappear into another world. Great as a background sound. Can listen to it anywhere.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need
The Only Opera Album You'll Ever Need by Various (Audio CD - 2001)