VINE VOICEon 13 April 2005
I have to admit I started watching this movie with a less than positive attitude. My previous encounters with Ben Stiller were either getting certain appendages stuck in zippers or having crocodilian's crispy heads removed geek style. I recognized Jenna Elfman from "Krippendorf's Tribe" (1998). So I was ready for some wasted film.

After holding my breath and waiting for it to hit. I soon realized that this was a well put together movie with a good story plot and excellent execution. I was amazed at the people that were in this movie. Half the time I keep saying "oh look there is" Anne Bancroft, Eli Wallach, and many others.

Basic story of three childhood friends. One went away and the other two chose to become (now don't laugh) a priest and a rabbi. The one that went away (Anna Riley) returns as a business executive and has a magnetic personality with accoutrements to match.

The fun and the drama is when two and a half become more than friend. How will they and their world react to this? What makes the movie is not the story as much as how it is executed. And it seems that I need to re-evaluate Ben Stiller as he did a fine job with just the minimum of "spectacles, testicles, watch, wallet".
on 19 July 2006
Ben Stiller plays a rabbi who takes one look at a non-Jewish childhood friend,he hasn't seen for a couple of decades,and decides she's hot enough to burn in hell for!This is a film with a lot of wit in it,and is actually more about the survival of a friendship between three people as they put each other through various trials and tribulations.A very positive film - no cliches or cynical jabs thrown at Synagogues,rabbis,priests or churches by the script(indeed Ben Stiller and Edward Norton spent a lot of time in synagogues and churches at real-life services before making Keeping The Faith) - with a simple message:don't let your religion get in the way of your heart.
on 27 November 2002
I'm probably biased as this film sees two of my favorite stars working together, the amazingly talented Edward Norton and the comedic brilliance that is Ben Stiller, but I absolutley adore this movie. If you're looking for a deep, incredibly complex storyline and Oscar type performances then this isn't for you. But if you want to sit back with a glass of wine and enjoy a great movie then I'd recommend this wholeheartedly. It is a complete feel good movie that has pleanty of rewatch value and brings something for all ages, along with a great message that no matter what your faith, love can overcome all boundries.
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2004
This is a true masterpiece! As an actor, Edwrad Norton has always impressed me, but he shows even more talent as a Director too. Everything about this movie is brilliant.
It tells the story of three childhood friends, (Norton, Stiller and Elfman), who have an incredilbly strong bond. Faith moves away but Jake and Brian stay friends and grow up together. They become a Jewish Rabbi and a Catholic Priest. Funny enough on it's own.
Faith comes back into their lives a very successful business woman and wants to catch up on old times with them. She falls in love with Jake and he with her but they decide to keep it a secret so as not to make Brian feel left out.
What they don't realise is that Brian has also fallen for Faith. It captures all the funny and painful moments in such a way that you never tire of watching it. We watch in agony as Jake tries to keep his relationship a secret from his parishoners, who all seem to have a beautiful daughter, just Jewish enough for a Rabbi to date.
Brian is feeling things he hasn't felt for a long time and is now questioning his own faith. He eventually finds out that his two best friends have been dating behind his back and goes on a bender. He ends up in a little pub where he tells the wonderfully comical bartender all his woes.
This is a fantastic film and it will leave you with a huge soppy grin on your chops! This is a movie that should be seen at least once and I suggest you buy it because one viewing won't be enough!!!
Directed by and starring Edward Norton, this is an immensely likeable and funny rom-com but no 'masterpiece', as one of my fellow reviewers says. Amazon is a magnet for hyperbole.

It's too derivative and thus predictable to be a masterpiece. Clearly indebted - in effect, an hommage - to movies by Nora Ephron and Woody Allen, Keeping The Faith has longtime best friends Jake and Brian (Stiller and Norton), rabbi and Catholic priest, reunited suddenly with their third musketeer from eighth grade, business dynamo Anna (Elfman). The more they hangout together, inevitably, the more in love with her both men fall. She begins a physical relationship with Jake, unaware of the romantic attachment Brian is developing. Tears of joy, and of sadness. Happy ending? It is a rom-com after all.

All three impress, though Stiller is typically aggressive in his role as crowd pleasing rabbi and defensive--lover. Norton gets most of the slapstick, which is carried out with aplomb. Elfman, star of Dharma and Greg, is beautiful and ballsy as the tough business gal. Typical for our era, both men exonerate her from responsibility for nearly wrecking their friendship (is that a spoiler? Sorry). Anne Bancroft is entertainingly feisty as Jake's mum, Eli Wallach droll as Rabbi Lewis.

Music is usually apt but occasionally intrusive. The situation is rather contrived - rabbi AND priest, both conveniently given work in New York at the same time. Both more entertaining than actually enlightening as spiritual guides.

In my house we watch this two or three times a year. Maybe more. It's a good one, especially if you don't hate Ben Stiller.
on 20 May 2004
This film is a true must see, it isn't any of the actors most famous film but there is no reason why it is not, it is a really sweet romantic film with a real feel good ending and brilliant acting through out. I whole heartedly recommend this film to anyone with a sense of humour and even a slight romantic side.
on 15 September 2014

I saw this at the cinema and then bought it on VHS and now on DVD. I've watched it a number of times with different ages ranging from teenagers to a 92-year old (Irish and VERY Roman Catholic) and it has been enjoyed by all.

A warm and well-acted film (well by the male leads at least, I wasn't impressed with the choice of leading lady who understandably has since disappeared without trace; someone like Minnie a Driver would have been better).

A film well suited to watching with the whole family on a weekend afternoon with a cosy fire and a Magnum!

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 August 2014
I wasn't sure I was going to like this movie, but I felt the need, the need for
... a chick flick! I do also have a little bit of a crush on Ben Stiller 😊 I must say, I really enjoyed it. The premise of the two main leading men being a rabbi and a preist made it a little bit different, and the fact that the leading lady was feisty and independent appealed too. The lifelong friendship between the three of them was believable, and there were quite a lot of laugh of loud moments. The movie was also shot on location in beautiful New York ...somewhere I have always wanted to visit.
on 2 February 2004
I've only recently watched this film and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Ben Stiller was great as ever and Ed Norton showed his versatility as an actor (having previously watched him in Primal Fear). This film doesn't challenge your mind , it's just a really good light hearted film. watch it with your partner for a good night in.
on 30 March 2009
I watched it completely by accident and I fell in love. With the story, with the characters, with the humor. It is a tale about very complex relationships between people, about theirs weakness', insecurities and about how much others expectations can put us in an unwanted place. But love conquers all. Enjoy.