5.0 out of 5 stars A recording to live with, 3 Aug 2011
Per Arne Rudberg "P-A Rudberg" (Vallentuna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bach: St Matthew Passion (Matthäus-Passion BWV 244) /Herreweghe (Audio CD)
Herreweghe is giving a superb performance of one of the greatest works in music history. In the opening chorus there is everything - heart, precision, details.
The soloists are all through very good, although I find Rubens (soprano) a bit thin. Bostridge is a superb Evangelist, just amazed that he isn't adding more drama to his part. Selig (basso Jesus) has a creamy voice that is a pure pleasure to listen to. Henschel (basso arias) has a wonderful flow in his voice. Scholl is - Scholl. (Nothing more needs to be said.)
I very much like how Herreweghe has found the natural tempi. The chorals are sublime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 1 Nov 2013
What can I say, all the superlatives have been used in the reviews below. Even though I'm new to this recording I see I've already played it thirty-five times, I have simply in all my life never heard anything more uplifting. The choruses, especially the two longest, are just sublime, and if you've watched the full-length video on You Tube of Herreweghe and the Collegium performing this piece live (just google herreweghe matthew youtube) you can imagine the lovely ladies (can't speak for the blokes) of the Collegium singing it with such obvious passion and commitment as you listen to the CD. As someone else said, this recording is a love for a lifetime, I hope to be listening to it on my dying day. Thank you M. Herreweghe and the Collegium, and Johann Sebastian, perhaps the greatest genius of European civilisation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 20 Aug 2013
Absolutely divine, breathtaking. From the first note till the last, meticulous. Fabulous clarity, beats Elliot Gardiner (Archiv).

I'm glad that Mozart heard this, if not Beethoven's or Schubert's later works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 30 Jun 2013
Peter Nowlan "Tractatus" (Wimbledon, UK) - See all my reviews
The most sublime recording of the most sublime choral work ever written, Herreweghe and his players in supreme yet humble mastery of Bach's genius

5.0 out of 5 stars This ONE, 5 Nov 2007
Torbjørn Lygre "ebl" (Norway) - See all my reviews
This is the Best Recording of this work I ever heard, maybe the best in history! This Recording is also in the Jubileum BOX. You will get this recording/work and 49 other work to price of three cd's. The Box have 30 cd's. One of them is a CD-Rom, that include all the singing text.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely version of this stunning music, 13 Jan 2013
No expert on music, me. I only know what I like the sound of. I loved the sound of this and will listen to it again and again for years to come, if I live that long