5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one
Published on 31 Dec. 2010 by DavidM

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
How can we play Bach with modern instrument and with a rethoric so outdated after Leonardt ,Herreweghe,Jakobs ?
Published 12 days ago by jean-louis Berger

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one, 31 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232 (Edition Bachakademie Vol 70) /Rilling (Audio CD)
I have recently bought the old Von Karajan/Schwartzkopf, and the Parrot/Taverner Consort, which was recommended by the BBC. I had an unknown recording from years ago that I had loved on a blank cd that had died, and felt that the Karajan, whilst enjoyably paced in my view, is just not up to it recording wise - the old mono is a bit of a trial on my equipment. The Parrot I don't like at all really. Too 'precious' for me, a bit academic and pure. I feel like it is lecturing me!
Now the Rilling has arrived and my search is over. Just beautiful. Recording, orchestra, singing, pace: everything works for me. Get it if you like your Bach Mass rich and meaty. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reference Recording One of the Best Performances, 24 Dec. 2009
Marcolorenzo (Italy) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
For a more complete discussion of the choices available for this work see my review of the Gardiner ( DG Archiv) version.Bach: Mass in B minor This version is superb and is one of the all time best versions together with the Jochum (EMI) version. The recorded sound is clearer and more modern than the Jochum version, although the Jochum perfomance has slightly better soloists, the choruses of both this recording and the Jochum are splendid. The orchestral sound and interpretations of both are exceptional musically and emotionally. This is a modern instrument performance by a conductor who uses his knowledge of HIP techniques to advantage on the modern instruments playing here. Jochum's is a traditional modern instrument version. I consider this recording together with the Jochum version the definitive renditions, both are BENCHMARK reference recordings. The new Benchmark Reference Standard recording of this work in my opinion is the new Bruggen version on Glossa. Bach: Mass in B minor (Cappella Amsterdam; Orchestra of the 18th Century / Frans Brüggen) See also Renè Jacobs limited edition performance on Berlin Classics.Bach: Mass in B minorMass in B Minor (Jacobs) [Limited Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterful response to such an inspirational work., 1 Mar. 2014
There are so many interpretations of this work to choose from. I am not a connoisseur so I was guided by other reviews. I am so happy that I finally chose this one. It has everything for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 19 Jan. 2015