Format: Audio CD|Change

I first heard the Mavericks on BBC radio, "Can't dance the night away", then soon afterwards "Are you lonesome tonight". I was fascinated by the band's sound and contrast in material, so I bought the CD. To my great surprise I find I enjoy every single track and appreciate the versatility.
on 31 March 2000
Initially I didn't think this was as good as Trampoline, but after two or three plays I've become hooked. It's just sooooooo catchy, even my four year old daughter loves it! I just can't wait for them to do their best on tour.
on 16 June 2000
Having seen a tv recording of their London concert I knew they were a great party music group. After having heard this album I know for sure. Every aspect of music either it's country, latin or big band is highlighted in such a professional and sometimes ( as I see it ) humorous way that they realy know what music is and what it's about. Creating atmosphere. Every cliche is used but in such a way that it sounds great in stead of vulgar.
on 24 November 1999
It's a great party album. It just makes you want to dance. Can't stop playing it!
The last eight tracks (beginning with Dance the night away, which gave them a UK top five pop hit) summarize, in reverse order, the career of the Mavericks during the nineties. It includes three tracks from What a crying shame (the title track, There goes my heart, I should have been true), which remains the most popular of their albums in America. My favorite album, Music for all occasions, is represented by two tracks (Here comes the rain, All you ever do is bring me down). Two tracks from their commercial debut, From hell to paradise (the title track, This broken heart) complete a look at their music from 1991 to 1998.
This European compilation is based on an American compilation (Super colossal hits of the nineties) but has three extra tracks, (World without love, Are you lonesome tonight, I've got this feeling). World without love (a cover of the Peter and Gordon sixties hit) is the rarest of these, this version never having appeared anywhere prior to its inclusion here. Are you lonesome tonight (a cover of the Elvis classic) had appeared on a various artists album (I can't remember if it was an Elvis tribute or a soundtrack) while I've got this feeling is taken from Trampoline, an album that was very popular in Britain.
The remaining four songs, all newly recorded, include two original songs (Things I cannot change, Pizzirico), a Cat Stevens cover (Here comes my baby, which provided the Tremeloes with a UK top five hit in the sixties) and a Buck Owens cover (Think of me). Thus, the Mavericks maintain their maverick tradition of recording a variety of material from different sources - you just never know what they will do next. Actually, they have been somewhat less productive (at least as far as recorded music is concerned) in the new millennium.
This compilation (whether in its European or American form) provides a great introduction to the music of the Mavericks. I generally prefer listening to their original albums, but several tracks here are not available elsewhere so even die-hard Mavericks fans need this.
on 1 December 2011
Enjoyed it so much and have great memories in so many different places to dance the night away highly rec!
on 20 February 2014
I have several of the Mavericks CDs, this for me is the best collection so far. The is not a lover of this type of music, but I like all sorts. So I find the best place to play it, is when I am in the car alone (loder than normal of course)
on 18 August 2012
How efficient was that. All I had to do was get a picture, put it in a case and it is perfect. Very good value.
on 20 March 2014
Terrific album - cannot stop playing it. I also bought "Trampoline" to replace my old copy but found that I much preferred this compilation - there is not a single track that I do not like. If you like the Mavericks then this is the one to get!
on 5 March 2013
Was going to just download two songs from this album......bought the entire thing, and have found at least two more songs on it that I love! There are several cha-cha songs on the album....great!!