5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful discovery
I first heard the Mavericks on BBC radio, "Can't dance the night away", then soon afterwards "Are you lonesome tonight". I was fascinated by the band's sound and contrast in material, so I bought the CD. To my great surprise I find I enjoy every single track and appreciate the versatility.
Published on 16 Mar 2000 by ron.turner@motionmedia.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed response.
Prefer their later stuff. Not keen on the early recordings which sound as though they have been recorded in someone's kitchen
Published 12 months ago by Judith Patten

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful discovery, 16 Mar 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 31 Mar 2000
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Mavericks (Audio CD)
Initially I didn't think this was as good as Trampoline, but after two or three plays I've become hooked. It's just sooooooo catchy, even my four year old daughter loves it! I just can't wait for them to do their best on tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 60-ies and country-fusion ever heard, 16 Jun 2000
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Mavericks (Audio CD)
Having seen a tv recording of their London concert I knew they were a great party music group. After having heard this album I know for sure. Every aspect of music either it's country, latin or big band is highlighted in such a professional and sometimes ( as I see it ) humorous way that they realy know what music is and what it's about. Creating atmosphere. Every cliche is used but in such a way that it sounds great in stead of vulgar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Track8 gr8!, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Mavericks (Audio CD)
Enjoyed it so much and have great memories in so many different places to dance the night away highly rec!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant, 24 Nov 1999
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Mavericks (Audio CD)
It's a great party album. It just makes you want to dance. Can't stop playing it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Party CD for people of a certain age, 10 Sep 2012
Mrs. L. R. Peters (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Mavericks (Audio CD)
Bought this album for "Here comes the rain track", which I love and wasn't disappointed. Some of the other tracks are cover versions from way back. That's fine for me being an oldie. This CD has plenty of upbeat tracks that can be played to create a great party atmosphere. Delivery was excellent and the item was received in perfect condition. Would definately recommend and use this supplier again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music Download - Mavericks, 18 Aug 2012
Bm Winton "BriBarb" (UK) - See all my reviews
How efficient was that. All I had to do was get a picture, put it in a case and it is perfect. Very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to the Florida pop-country group, 1 July 2005
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Mavericks (Audio CD)
The last eight tracks (beginning with Dance the night away, which gave them a UK top five pop hit) summarize, in reverse order, the career of the Mavericks during the nineties. It includes three tracks from What a crying shame (the title track, There goes my heart, I should have been true), which remains the most popular of their albums in America. My favorite album, Music for all occasions, is represented by two tracks (Here comes the rain, All you ever do is bring me down). Two tracks from their commercial debut, From hell to paradise (the title track, This broken heart) complete a look at their music from 1991 to 1998.
This European compilation is based on an American compilation (Super colossal hits of the nineties) but has three extra tracks, (World without love, Are you lonesome tonight, I've got this feeling). World without love (a cover of the Peter and Gordon sixties hit) is the rarest of these, this version never having appeared anywhere prior to its inclusion here. Are you lonesome tonight (a cover of the Elvis classic) had appeared on a various artists album (I can't remember if it was an Elvis tribute or a soundtrack) while I've got this feeling is taken from Trampoline, an album that was very popular in Britain.
The remaining four songs, all newly recorded, include two original songs (Things I cannot change, Pizzirico), a Cat Stevens cover (Here comes my baby, which provided the Tremeloes with a UK top five hit in the sixties) and a Buck Owens cover (Think of me). Thus, the Mavericks maintain their maverick tradition of recording a variety of material from different sources - you just never know what they will do next. Actually, they have been somewhat less productive (at least as far as recorded music is concerned) in the new millennium.
This compilation (whether in its European or American form) provides a great introduction to the music of the Mavericks. I generally prefer listening to their original albums, but several tracks here are not available elsewhere so even die-hard Mavericks fans need this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think the title said it all "The very best", for an all round collection of their works, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Mavericks (Audio CD)
I have several of the Mavericks CDs, this for me is the best collection so far. The is not a lover of this type of music, but I like all sorts. So I find the best place to play it, is when I am in the car alone (loder than normal of course)

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 25 Jun 2014
Mrs. P. S. Freeman (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Mavericks (Audio CD)
Lost my other one so was glad to get a replacement. It is such a cheery CD and makes you smile.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Very Best Of The Mavericks
The Very Best Of The Mavericks by The Mavericks (Audio CD - 1999)