5.0 out of 5 stars A joyous and harmonious celebration!
I bought this double CD many years ago and it remains one of my firm favourites. I find the first track exhilarating and joyous, a fitting and wonderful introduction to the vespers.I think this is a beautiful and uplifting performance by the Taverner Consort, choir and players and would highly recommend it - whether you are a fan of sacred music or not!
Published on 26 Jun 2008 by PattyMac

2.0 out of 5 stars Boringly academic
Published on 9 Mar 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars A joyous and harmonious celebration!, 26 Jun 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Spatial excellence, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine, 1610 (Audio CD)
This recording of thevespers is "authentic" in style, and does its best to rcreate the atomoshpere and osund of 8 choirs singing from various parts of the building. It reminds me of a Proms performance many years ago in Westminster Cathedral where the 8 choirs were spaced around the buiding at varying heights as well. highly recommended.

WILLIAM

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully contemplative and uplifting, 12 Jun 2009
M. Jones "PublisherM" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine, 1610 (Audio CD)
This recording brings Monteverdi alive, so I disagree with the 'customer' review below too. The harmonies ring out and it has a simple beauty and a deeply contemplative melancholy that Monteverdi surely must have intended. 'Heaven hear my words...'

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gold Standard, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine, 1610 (Audio CD)
To add to those who refute "A Customer's" misguided and inane comments: this recording of a problematic work remains the best to date - not only only technically superb, with probably the best team ever assembled, but also a heartstopping display of expression and musical drama. A couple of reviews have made unfavourable comparisons with Eliot Gardiner's live Venice recording, borrowing from each other the sneering phrase 'seventh day authenticists' in an attempt to denigrate Parrott's recording. This is meaningless and asinine: there's no accounting for tastes but even a cursory knowledge of the music and its context would demonstrate the greater validity of Parrott's production. Gardiner's performance may be louder, but that's all it is. If you want to hear what Monteverdi's music actually says, this is the place to be. Yes, it's a pity we can't have the exhaustive booklet that came with the original issue but damn it, for eight quid I've got a performance that never fails to thrill me, plus the bonus of several motets from the late Selva Morale e Sprituale collection. I think I've got a bargain and more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A time machine, 7 Aug 2011
Per Arne Rudberg "P-A Rudberg" (Vallentuna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine, 1610 (Audio CD)
This is a fascinating recording of great music. It speaks to us thorugh all these years, very much thanks to Parrott and his singers and musicians. There is a great vitality and intensity in this recording. It's a perfect start for anyone that wants to figure out what's the big deal with Monteverdi. Find yourself moved back 400 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars soul-nourishing, 8 Jun 2008
This review is from: Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine, 1610 (Audio CD)
I can't disagree more with the review by "A Customer." I first became aware of this album back in the '80s, shortly after it was released, and was mesmerized by the harmonies of the vespers, interwoven with the plainchant. All in all, I found it then, as now, true soul-food. I am particularly captivated by track 22 "Son sopra Sancta Maria" and track 23 "Magnificat." Play this CD loud, and you'll feel as though you are in a cathedral! I am so glad to have been stumbled upon the CD of the album that brought me so much inner peace and joy so many years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Academic or not ?, 13 May 2012
A. Marchant (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine, 1610 (Audio CD)
I am not suficiently well qualified to know whether this is technically well performed or not, although in my layman's opinion it seemed so. The piece is beautiful, and therefore short of making a complete muck-up of the performance the outcome is bound to be good. With regard to how you perceive the feeling or soul of it, and whether it is merely academic or has heart put in it (as per the earlier 2 star review, I wonder if it may be partially to do with how you listen to it, and what mood you are in. I think you would need to hear a comparison to know truly if this is the case, which I have not done. It seems to me a very enjoyable performance of a beautiful piece, and I have no issues at all with it. The notes with it are indeed a bit on the feeble side, but that's probably not what you buy it for anyway. For most people I think this will prove to be a very satisfactory purchase of an oustanding piece. As a bonus you get the second CD with various Psalms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vespers never fail, 9 May 2010
C. J. Tyler "cjtbrocco" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine, 1610 (Audio CD)
The Vespers never fail to inspire and this recording, although a little dated in both recording and performance practice, is still worth hearing. Great value Monteverdi and an uncontroversial performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best old instrument performances, 31 May 2013
John HOLLAS (UK) - See all my reviews
I think I have reviewed this before,and it seems to have disappeared from the Amazon store. But, if it does reappear, buy it. Marvellous, heavenly music.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boringly academic, 9 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine, 1610 (Audio CD)
I have long heard about this recording, the darling of the Seventh-Day Authenticists, and, having heard only excerpts to date, jumped at the chance to buy it at mid-price. Boy, was I disappointed! It's not that it isn't well played and sung, it is. It's just that it's totally lacking in soul or feeling of any kind. It's a museum piece, resurrected for our academic study. Listen instead to Gardiner's brilliant live recording in San Marco, Venice (better still, buy the DVD of the live performance and get the best of all worlds). Gardiner may play fast and loose with the instrumentation, but, by gosh, his version has LIFE. In Gardiner's hands, the Vespers take their rightful place alongside the great choral masterpieces of the world, the St. Matthew, the B Minor Mass, Messiah, etc. In Parrot's hands, the thing just curls up and goes to sleep, and me with it. To be avoided at all costs, unless you are an insomniac - in which case, this is guaranteed to cure you.

Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine, 1610
Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine, 1610 by Claudio Monteverdi (Audio CD - 2000)