Rainbow
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£6.15+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 20 January 2000
This album illustrates the genius of a singer, producer, writer etc.that Mariah Carey is. Her collaboration with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis is nothing short of sheer excellence. This in no way overshadows the work of David Foster, Damizza and the other ground breaking producers who worked on this set.
Mariah demonstrates that her strength lies in vocal mastery and musical diversity. Those perfected high pitch notes in "Bliss" leave the listener rhapsodized whilst on the other extreme the low husky octave is put successfully to the test in "Petals". "After Tonight", "Vulnerability" and "Against all Odds" are polished to perfection whilst the gosphel flavoured "Can't Take That Away From Me" re-affirms Mariah's status as queen of the power ballad. The opposite extreme is an abundance of credible sleek R n B/Hip Hop sounds all of which are boosted and embossed by an army of superstars. The extremity of these grooves accentuates from the uptempo "Heartbreaker", to an ushered "How Much", to catchy "X-Girlfriend", to tearful "crybaby" and finally to the commendable "Did I do That".
This "Rainbow" leaves the Mariah fan praying "Thank God I Found You". However it's a shame for an album as good as this not to have been given a wider commercial audience by including some serious dance material or early Mariah "Rock". This is one reason why this album hasn't done so well in the UK charts.
on 6 June 2000
I am a huge Mariah fan, and when this first came out, I rushed out and bought it! I was, however, awestruck by this record. I have all 9 Mariah albums (including Unplugged, #1's and Merry Christmas) and this is one of my favourites! Although there are a couple of mediocre (which is a bit disappointing) tracks here, namely How Much and X-Girlfriend, there are also some of the best songs she's ever done on here!
Can't Take That Away is simply breathtaking; a real anthem (which I love also because I can relate so much to it - it's a defiant song) with some of the best vocals of her career. Petals and Rainbow kind of run together, as a hopeful song which recount Mariah's history and emotional past (which I personally can relate to, word for word). Yes, she went through some bad times, but she came out better and stronger for it. They are beautiful songs, backed by piano and other gentle instruments, and are perfect to just wallow in and dream away. And to get your groove on, although Crybaby seems to be everyone's fave jam, I prefer the bouncin' Did I Do That. It's a killer hip-hop tune! Also encouraging are the songs Bliss (a relaxing vibe, with a Minnie Riperton feel), Vulnerability and Against All Odds, another vocal workout. Thank God I Found You is beautiful too.
All in all, yes there are a couple of duff tracks on here, but the rest more than make up for this. Don't be put off by Mariah's questionable image direction - this album is an emotional roller coaster ride that you'll never forget. Love it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Now, Ms Carey is not to everyone's taste, and she is seemingly as mad as a fruit loop, but boy, the girl can sing. She has one of the best voices, and range, in music today. This album was a 'concept' album, in that it portrays, in song, going through a very dark period of her life (break up of her marriage) and emerging the other side.
The songs are all excellent. The ballads shine that little extra, because of the sentiment behind them, and in 'Heartbreaker' there is a genuinely great dance track - also includes the remix.Overall a solid, pop album.
If you are still wavering, mine came with a nice poster of Mariah lying on the bed sucking a lollipop....just though you'd like to know....!
on 22 January 2001
The acclaim given for the "pop candymaking" of 95's Daydream, and the experimental courage and vision of 97's "Butterfly". collaborate to achieve a "Rainbow". The balance between the two is achieved with "Heartbreaker" taking the role of "Honey", and a new "Hero" anthem is found in the all inspiring "Can't take that away". A deeply personal album, calling out to her fans in support and openness in "Petals", Mariah's 9th album, entirely self written (bar the cover version), and heavy production input, have again been ignored by the critics who refuse to see the phenomenal ability not purely of that voice, but the writing and musical mastery which has never been acknowledged or accredited. However, all true Mariah fans, will again float in a sea of tranquility, emotion and gratitude at another masterpiece which should take pride of place in any record collection.
on 24 November 1999
This has got to be Mariah's most credible album to date. It must also have the widest appeal. Mariah pleases fans both old and new. Long term fans of Mariah's 'balladey' side will be pleased with the 5 emotional ballads included of which the best are Against all odds (Phil Collins) and After Tonight, both of which must rank in Mariah's best songs ever.Aswell as ballads there are plenty of storming R'n B tracks include the brillian Heartbreaker remix which adds a whole new level to the song. The highlight of this album must be X-Girlfriend, it is just so slick, and shows Mariah can sing any way she wants. Don't get me wrong this album isn't perfect, you sometimes get the feeling it becomes a little self indulgent(Did I do that?), but it comes pretty close to being the best Mariah Carey Album ever, just on the sheer variation of style and vocal range !
on 27 April 2000
Mariah has once again supplied us with what we were hoping for. This album is stylish and makes you happy, just by hearing her amazing voice that we know and love alone. On first hearing this album, I was suprised at how dirrerent she can make her voice, to suit the song, (Crybaby, Bliss etc.), but this is just what makes this album so different to the rest. Favourites are Heartbreaker, Thank God I Found You and Crybaby (Snoop was perfect for this one) and the only reason I gave it four stars is because of Did I Do That?, which really does not fit in with this new, mature Mariah album One tip is not to overplay it, as this is what I did, and it made me less enthusiastic. After listening to it, stash it away for a while and when you come back to it, you will once again be pleasantly surprised.
on 28 October 1999
You could never accuse Mariah of breaking new musical ground, but this really is an album full of great tracks. The standout for me has got to be "Petals" which has an incredible melody and extremely personal lyrics. If only she could give us more of this stuff... Other highlights include her cover of "Against All Odds", "Thank God I Found You", "Ex-Girlfriend" and just when you thought you were safe, the unbelivebaly high-pitched notes make one hell of a return in the brilliant "Bliss". Sure, there's nothing original on this record, but for the most part, the tracks are well written, brilliantly sung, and well produced. If you liked her previous stuff, and/or are into TLC etc, you'll love this!
on 11 August 2008
12. Petals. 8/10
13. Rainbow (Interlude). 6/10
14. Thank God I Found You. 10/10

OVERALL GRADE: 10/10
This is the perfect MC album. The crossover dance hits, the hip producers, bucket loads of producers, gentle ballads. But with the cutesy, retro "Heartbreaker" and so 80s cover, this becomes more than the average Carey album!
on 8 November 1999
This CD is not bad, kicking off with the new hit "Heartbreaker" and following up with some more subdued, but still fun to sing along with, little ditties that apparently chronical Mariah's self-proclaimed broken hearted year. Some of the best tracks on the album are "Petals", "Ex-Girlfriend" and "Against All Odds" (a remake of the Phil Collins hit, but I think she actually did a pretty good job with it--and I hate all remakes as a rule.) Though the CD gets a bit drippy at times, with overly exaggerated relationship traumas and such, overall its a nice effort.
on 4 June 2015
Rainbow is one of her best albums and so so underrated. A work of art with many standouts

1. Heartbreaker (featuring Jay-Z) 10/10
A combination of some of the best selling artists in history and one hell of lead single. Opens up the album very well and sets a great tone

2. Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme) 10/10
A beautiful ballad with some of her best vocals ever, in my opinion. Simply flawless

3. Bliss 9/10
Relaxed R&B vibe throughout the track with some great whistle notes, not one of the best on the album but a fair addition

4. How Much (featuring Usher) 10/10
The kind of collaboration you'd expect between these two and they pull it off just as you'd hope for

5. After Tonight 9/10
A great ballad, like a part 2 to My All. Stunning climax and of course her vocals are phenomenal

6. X-Girlfriend 10/10
A personal favourite which was very in tune with the style of the late 90s. So damn catchy!

7. Heartbreaker (Remix featuring Da Brat & Missy Elliott) 8/10
Obviously not as good as the original but, for a remix, very good and fits so well on the album. Not too different or too the same from the original. Just right

8. Vulnerability (Interlude) 9/10
A great, dramatic build up to the smash hit "Against All Odds" (her second UK number 1 single). Stunning

9. Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) 10/10
Beautiful cover of a beautiful song. Mariah does it justice and doesn't make it too much like the original.

10. Crybaby (featuring Snoop Dogg) 10/10
Lyrics that you just want to sing along to all day. It WILL get stuck in your head!

11. Did I Do That? 10/10
Most people hate this song but I truly think it's so good. Her vocals are enticing and it's innovative. I really like it

12. Petals 10/10
My favourite song on the album. Incredibly emotional and personal and leaves you stunned

13. Rainbow (Interlude) 10/10
A beautiful way to cross from Petals to Thank God I Found You. Love it

14. Thank God I Found You (featuring Joe & 98 Degrees) 10/10
A great closing song to the album. Her vocals blend SO well with the track and the features are chosen very well and not just for commercial hype. A well deserved number US 1 single.

As a whole, I think this is one of Mariah's strongest efforts. I could listen to it for ages and not get bored. Always something new and fresh coming up and leaves you wanting more. Definitely recommend