VINE VOICEon 27 July 2002
There's a lot to enjoy on "Blue Moon" but "Torchy" is the reason to buy this CD. Immaculate performances of some wonderful songs in effective but not intrusive arrangements. "Midnight Sun" is simply beautiful; "Star Eyes" is definitive; "My Future Just Passed" one of those lesser-known songs that Carmen makes into something very special; "I'm a Dreamer" is not in the least corny; and "Good Morning Heartache" shows Carmen's strengths and why listening to her is such a pleasure. She always made a point of getting into and inside the lyric of a song. Since this was allied to a musical inventiveness that was never effect for effect's sake and a firm sense of rhythm, it is no surprise that these interpretations are bench marks for other singers to aspire to. So many of these performances say all there is to say about the songs. I hope this album stays around for a long time but don't delay if you enjoy first rate singing of classic songs.
on 28 December 1999
Where has Torchy been for three decades(Blue Moon is nearly as good). 24 superb renditions: the definitive version of Star Eyes, a wonderous Midnight Sun, a great version of a Richard Whiting song, which I last heard on an old Kay Starr Album , My Future Just Passed. Carmen McRae has a smooth rounded swinging voice, hitting true notes with magic expression and phrasing. On these albums her voice is an equal to Ella or Sarah, with some of Billie's emotional content, but gentle. None of the brash Jewelry dripping performance of her later years. The best.. money I have spent for years, I have played the album through 30 times in 4 weeks.