5.0 out of 5 stars The king praises the King
On this impressive collection of gospel songs Elvis is variously backed by the Jordanaires, Sweet Inspirations, Imperials and the Stamps Quartet. Chronologically the material ranges from songs recorded from 1957 to the early 1970s. They are mostly gospel classics but there are also later compositions like Put Your Hand In The Hand which was a pop hit in 1971...
Published on 7 Jan 2007 by Pieter Uys

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Very dipresing.
Published 2 months ago by j lewis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The king praises the King, 7 Jan 2007
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gospel Favourites (Audio CD)

Several styles are represented, from the slow and solemn hymns like Take My Hand Precious Lord, He Touched Me and I Believe to rhythmic uptempo tracks like Joshua Fit The Battle, By And By and Working On The Building with its lovely backing vocals. My personal favorites include the opening track Take My Hand, this version of Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, In The Garden and Where Could I Go But To The Lord.

I was a bit surprized to learn that Swing Down Sweet Chariot is an uptempo rock song, not the well-known Swing Low Sweet Chariot. The music is inspiring and soulful, revealing the devotional side of the magnificent king of rock and roll. The booklet contains an informative history of Elvis' gospel recordings by Brian Nevill and four photographs: full color one of the Jordanaires and Millie Kirkham, a black and white one of the Imperials plus the front and back pics of Elvis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the king, 2 Jan 2008
Amazon Customer (Santander, SPAIN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gospel Favourites (Audio CD)
I was looking for gospel records when I saw this in Amazon, and bought it after some hesitation. I'm not a rock'n roll or Elvis fan, so all my Elvis' memories are of a depressive fat guy dressed in fancy clothes and slave to several drug cocktails. I didn't know about his fervient gospel work and recordings, which in fact got him several Emmys.

My doubts were proved stupid, because this is a very good gospel record, and a very good example of Elvis' work.

His voice is mellow, deep, and above all, understanding and feeling of the songs and themes he sings. You can hear in them a man of faith, even if (or perhaps because of that) life took him far from the small, familial chapels he sings about. Some of the themes are classical gospel songs, some are arrangements of other themes, and all of them are adapted by Elvis to his own style and liking. The only negative comment on this record is about the one song I don't like, the most melodious, recitative "I believe".

The CD comes with a booklet describing Elvis' gospel background, his involvement in recordings and revivals and, all in all, makes this a very good piece of gospel music, which also will make you listen to good King's songs. Cheap, too.

Buy it, listen to it, give it as a present.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elvis's first love, 1 Aug 2007
Lozarithm (Wilts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Gospel music was Elvis' first love and at the time of his discovery by the late Sam Phillips he was seriously considering joining the Songfellows, a gospel quartet, instead of signing to Sun Records. Throughout his career Elvis always used full gospel groups rather than backing singers, on stage and in the studio. At the same time that he was recording All Shook Up in January 1957, he was also recording songs for a gospel EP, Peace In The Valley, all of which were included on Elvis' Christmas Album later that year, and also appear here.

This collection also draws from three gospel albums that Elvis released: His Hand In Mine (1960), How Great Thou Art (1966) and He Touched Me (1971) and a couple of stray tracks including his hit single Crying In The Chapel, plus a medley of two songs he recorded and filmed at the Elvis On Tour sessions but which remained in the can until 1994.

Although a great rock singer, unlike his contemporaries, Elvis had the range to sing with an unmatched purity and sincerity on both devotional gospels and secular ballads and wasn't afraid to match his voice with the best gospel singers in the business, as this set ably demonstrates

5.0 out of 5 stars Gospel Favourites, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Gospel Favourites (Audio CD)
Elvis has re-entered my life after absolute years and years of not wanting to know.However sadly having recently lost my dear wife.This particular album sings to me in the only way that Elvis can with utterly pouring out his heart leaving a good,lasting warm spiritual feeling.
I play it over and over again in my car without a single regret.In other words if opinion is worthy it comes highly recommended.Gospel Favourites

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 27 Jun 2009
J. C. Day (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gospel Favourites (Audio CD)
Fantastic value and good clear sound, with all the expected gospel songs and a few more. It took my sister and me back to the 1950s; four of these songs were on the first Elvis EP we bought!

5.0 out of 5 stars God listens when Elvis Presley worships him., 24 Jan 2010
This review is from: Gospel Favourites (Audio CD)
Once more a beautiful Christian classic from Elvis Presley. Pure unadulterated Worship Music.
A lot of young Christians today do not know that Elvis sang Worship Songs and I highly recommend this to them.Elvis is truly the Father of Gospel Music.

"Take my Hand "is my Favourite song of all time and "I love God gave me a Mountain" Truly inspiritional Song.

This is great Music awesomely timeless.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Gospel Favourites (Audio CD)
My favorite compilation gospel Elvis C.D.

Beautifully recorded with the his backing groups at the time who were also very gospel inspired, having a great feel for these classic numbers that still stand today as a sincere form of worship to our lord.

All the numbers were recorded between 1957 to 1971.

You can tell the way Elvis sings these gospel songs that he was a man of great faith whose spirituality was very important to him.

Twenty selected tracks opening with "Take My Hand Precious Lord" a very powerful interpretation. He covers "Amazing Grace" which is just so moving.

There is an informal recording of "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus/Nearer My God To Thee, which is incredibly moving.

I love the fast paced "Working On The Building" that's joyous to listen to.

It goes on one great gospel song after another.

This C.D. will move you, inspire you, and make you happy.

Thank you Elvis.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Voice" does Gospel, 28 April 2011
Mr. K. Andrews (Stourbridge U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gospel Favourites (Audio CD)
I came upon this CD after searching for "Aaron Neville gospel songs" and, as I love Elvis's voice, especially on slow numbers, after hearing the samples I bought the CD....Excellent value and quality and ,though I am a Rock 'n' Roll (anorak ?)fan and Elvis stopped singing Rock 'n' Roll about 1962 The voice is so full of emotion and sincerity that thi is a must for ELVIS fans and Christians everywhere. God bless you and RIP Elvis Presley.

4.0 out of 5 stars the one and only elvis, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Gospel Favourites (Audio CD)
I recently lost my wife after 52 years of marriage the music brought back many very happy memories of the years we spent together

5.0 out of 5 stars elvis, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Gospel Favourites (Audio CD)
it is a wonderful cd thank youit is a great cd i really love it thank you very much, i shall keep a look out for more

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Gospel Favourites
Gospel Favourites by Elvis Presley (Audio CD - 2001)