Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 December 2003
Being an avid jazz fan and a lover of Bach's music I picked album up as a taster and am glad I did!
As all tracks are superb to single one out for praise is hard but Toccata and Fugue is breath-taking.
on 1 April 2009
This is a delightful cd and shows Loussier in his element. The inprovisation is effortless, and if you didn't know how the original went, you might think that Bach had written the music that way!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 August 2011
Having heard him in concert and owning other CDs, I was tempted by this and succumbed. I'm glad I did.

Bach's original music, rich in contrapuntal inventiveness, his inner personal drive to display his musical achievements and his successful striving to become the leading virtuoso and improviser of the day on the organ provided Loussier with a rich heritage.

I particulary enjoy the pieces which start with the measured control of Bach and develop through Loussier's "joie de vivre" into the fast-moving, stunning keyboard improvisational virtuosity of Loussier, e.g. "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" and "Little Fugue in G minor".

Loussier made Bach his own. Recommeneded.
on 3 February 2009
This was a Christmas present to a friend but a s I love him too I downloaded on to my Ipod! Naughty! It is excellent and made me look on Google to see if he is in concert anywhere. Unfortunately not. He has aged well too. Saw him last at de Montfort Hall in 1970 thereabouts! Brilliant man!
on 22 October 2013
The lady giving this CD only 2 Stars needs to invest in a new stereo system for her kitchen. I play this on a CD Player and use headphones, but have also played it without headphones - and the quality of this particular BMG/CMG Camden recording is fantastic. You will only know just how fantastic it is if you have quality equipment, but even on inexpensive equipment this CD will sound very, very good. I have most of Loussier's recordings - but this one is the best, as far as sound quality is concerned. Maybe Decca can compete with this one? Anyway, if you like Bach simplified to some degree by not using a full orchestra, then you will like this rendition. For those of you interested in musicianship I can honestly say that the bass player and percussionist do not come any better than this pairing. I will not say that there are no finer pianists than Jacques Loussier - there are - but it's Mr Loussier's arrangements that are important here. So, as a trio - these three musicians play extremely well together and if ever you get to see them playing on your TV via a DVD for example - you will actually see with your own eyes just how good these musicians are and how well they integrate with one another. I actually use this disc when auditioning expensive hi-fi equipment and can honestly say, that if the music does not sound awesome then you are listening to poor equipment - or, there's something wrong with your ears. The selection of music on this CD is quite varied - there's something for everyone, even Jazz afficionados. It might be listed under the classical heading but there's more to this rendition than simply classical. Enjoy. p.s. Denon make good hi-fi equipment if you're on a limited budget.
on 15 February 2010
As a lover of classics who likes a bit of jazz this is one of the most enjoyable disks I have bought for a long time. Beautifully played renditions of a wide variety of Bach's music, some familiar favourites, some less so. I will be getting more by Loussier. Strongly recommended.
on 11 November 2012
This recording is much more evocative of Loussier at his best than more recent recordings. The use of percussion is more subtle and the playing generally more precise.
on 12 February 2010
Heard a snippet from this album on radio recently and was reminded of how much I previously enjoyed his music. The album has not disappointed and has been played many times since we received it. We hear "something new" in it every time we listen. It gets played almost every other day at the moment.
on 16 January 2010
...if not for Mozart. Bach with a beat offers something worth hearing - I first heard Loussier as a teenager and have not changed my mind.
on 9 March 2016
As an original lover of Jacques Loussier music from the 1960's, I was very pleased to be able to find this superbly produced cd. My old lp's gave up long ago through over play..... now I'm re-enjoying Play Bach.