on 19 October 2012
Wow! What a torch. After having one of these I could never go to back to another torch. Apart from being really bright, and the range is amazing, I feel totally safe as a lone women going out at night. I bought the the one that takes 4D cells, although this makes this a very heavy torch, it also makes it a very useful truncheon if (God forbid) it was required. My daughter is buying me a battery charger and 4D cell rechargable batteries, which will certainly help to keep the battery cost down. If you want a tough, good quality torch thats value for money and has a spare bulb in the cap and a 10 year warranty, then you can't go wrong in my opinion!
on 12 December 2010
This was purchased for me for a present after my other 3 cell was stolen at work.
At first I thought it was a little big but once it's in your hand it really doesn't feel that much bigger than my old 3 cell!
Being a 4 cell, the beam is cracking! Seems to cast a much brighter beam than my 3 cell and for a much greater distance. Overall I am more than pleased with this one.
Having 4 D batteries inside makes it a little heavy if you hang it from a belt or like, but holding it in your hand is not that bad.
I think the downside would be replacing those 4 D batteries. Not that cheap. I am lucky that I can aquire the batteries from work at no cost at the moment.
As for the batteries, I have not used the torch that much to say if they drain quickly or not, but then , that depends on which batteries you use.
To finish, it is comfortable to hold and the quality is great too.
on 3 February 2012
Maglite are the daddy when it comes to torches, and this is a cracker. not too heavy, but has a `solid` feel.
nicely packaged, and delivered on time..nice one
on 10 April 2014
Good strong beam, we can see right across the fields with this. Its heavy but combined with the strong beam gives my wife an extra sense of security as she knows she whack any intruders with it!
on 29 December 2008
Maglite have an excellent reputation and this is a great heavy well made torch. It's worth noting though that batteries are NOT included.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 September 2011
Try any light from 4Sevens, Armytek, Eagletac, Fenix, Jetbeam, Klarus, Nitecore, Olight, Peak, Thrunite, Wolf Eyes, Zebralight and many others and you will realise just how unnecessarily large, heavy, poorly anodised and dim Maglites are. If you want a budget option then think about Solarforce or many other budget options like them.

Basically, all of the manufacturers listed above, and many others make a range of lights that are:

Brighter
Use higher grade, thicker Aluminium
Use a range of more efficient batteries (lithium-ion, AAA, AA, 18650 etc)
Have HA-III hard anodizing (Mag is type II, so will scratch up easily)
Have longer runtimes
Have regulated output
Have metal reflectors (Mag use plastic)
Have glass lenses (Mag use plastic, they scratch easily)
Have neater beams (Mag beam looks a bit wonky)
Have a host of modes, including SOS, strobe etc (No modes with this thing, just on and off!)

There are other problems I found with all my D cell maglites too. The rubber boot cover that is over the button WILL come off and get lost, it is just a matter of time. The threads are not great and are not square cut. The light is not waterproof, so the lens can easily fog up and if submerged will let in water.

The use of Alkaline batteries means you cannot leave the cells in the light when in storage, as they will leak and ruin the torch. D cell re-chargeable batteries and charger are very hard to come by now, so you have little option.

"But wait, there are lots of good reviews on here all 5 stars, so why should I believe you?" I hear you ask. Well, don't. Try a Google search and find out for yourself what else is out there before you spend your hard-earned on a Maglite. The update to LED instead of old incandescent bulbs came far too late and is just a lazy effort. This is the same old Maglite with little or no design thought to LED use. There is no heat sinking between the LED and body and the focus feature is as badly done as ever.

I wasted years using them, because I did not know any better. I am a serving Police Officer and have a lot of experience in using Maglites in actual duty, as well as many modern alternatives. Very few Police officers carry Maglites anymore, for good reason.
on 24 April 2014
This is a great bit of kit, the focus is great, and light up spots very far away, I keep mine by my bed.
on 7 September 2013
Make no mistake this is a big, heavy torch, largely thanks to the 4 x D cell batteries which power it. As a consequence you get a strong beam with the power in a new set of alkaline batteries to last many hours. Mine is for occasional use so I haven't tested a set to the point of disposal but if you were using this torch heavily I guess you would do well to consider rechargeable battery alternatives.

Maglites only claim to be "weather resistant" - in practice they are rather better than that, hence the 10-year warranty.
on 16 February 2014
This Torch is one of the best torch available for its size. Good quality torch at the right price. You have got my recommendation .
on 28 March 2014
brilliant torch, takes 4 batteries, its quite weighty but well made, arrived on time and im more than happy with it.