5.0 out of 5 stars a superb example of a great artist's work, 9 Sep 2003
This review is from: A Cry from the Heart (Live) (Audio CD)
At one point (it may be still true) Barbara Thompson was said to be the only sax artist who could genuinely play 2 saxophones at the same time, independantly of each other (as opposed to the same tune from 2 saxes).
Forget that though.. it's not important except as an intro. Barbara Thompson is the band leader and composer of Paraphenalia... a great jazz band. I have seen them live: once in Bristol at a Heineken Festival (with Paraphenalia and a young brass band, Moving Parts) and again in a small venue in Plymouth.
Not all her compositions are memorable, but her musicianship (and that of her bands) always is. Some of her best writing, and the best performances of her music can be found on this album (I have all her early works on LP). I first got a copy of this 2nd hand on vinyl. The 3rd side captivated me so much I didn't stop listening to it (and the other sides!) for 2-3 years... even today I can hum along to any part after 13 years. Now owning it on CD I love to play it without the pops! I wish other albums in her back catalogue were available (Wilde Tales for instance)... Temple Music please take note!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great jazz rock fusion concert. Listen for yourself!, 30 July 2014
This review is from: A Cry from the Heart (Live) (Audio CD)
I have owned this CD for many years and enjoy it whenever I play it. I prefer concert recordings to studio recordings in any case. This comes over as a great gig. Although I have seen Paraphernalia in concert I haven't seen this particular line up. I associate the typical line up as reeds, violin, keyboards, bass guitar and drums. On this "live" recording from 1987 there is no violin, instead a lead guitar. So the line up certainly features four musicians regularly associated with Paraphernalia: Barbara herself on saxophones and flute, husband Jon Hiseman (drums), Peter Lemer (keyboards) and Phil Mumford (bass). I am not sure about Paul Dunne's long term association but he fits the bill perfectly.

The style is clearly jazz / rock fusion and every track on this excellent CD is a pearl. The whole a perfect piece of jewellery. A masterpiece of an album which even after twenty eight years seems pretty fresh to me. Even ears younger than 28 years should give this album an airing!

No need to describe any track individually since every one is superb. Well worth buying.

A Cry from the Heart (Live)
A Cry from the Heart (Live) by Barbara Thompson (Audio CD - 2008)