5.0 out of 5 stars Barbra goes all Santa-ish!!
Right from the very start, you know this album will be different: an exuberant rendition of "Jingle Bells" screams from the stereo - with Barbra's voice just so pitch-perfect it hurts!
There are many, many classic Xmas standards here - White Christmas, Little town of Bethlehem etc - that sound so darn NEW when sung in Barbra's dulcit tones.
Buy it now...
Published on 4 Jan. 2001 by meirionhughes@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Barbra Striesand
Barbras usual distinctive voice, some songs are very nice and some she's made a right mess of. Only recommend if you are complete fan
Published 17 months ago by batterseadog

5.0 out of 5 stars Barbra goes all Santa-ish!!, 4 Jan. 2001
This review is from: A Christmas Album (Audio CD)
Buy it now. (I listen to it when I decorate the tree!)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ever Christmas albums, 9 Dec. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: A Christmas Album (Audio CD)
This album is simply a breathtaking showcase from Barbra's peak period. She grabs songs you've heard a million times by their neck and stamps her mark on them. The sheer chuputz of say Jingle Bells is wonderful. The ballads and more traditional arrangements are beautiful.
Don't waste your money on last year's sickly Chrismtas Memories album. Buy this. It's the tops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm Memories of Cold Christmases with Barbra, 26 May 2015
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Christmas Album (Audio CD)
I have commented several times over the years that my Christmas music collection is very eclectic. That’s because I have stuff I grew up listening to, so I only have the one disc by that artist. Such is the case with Barbra Streisand, but I just love her 1967 release A Christmas Album.

For the most part, this disc is filled with just her voice and an orchestra. There are times where backup singers are involved, but Barbra singing solo is much more prominent.

The disc opens with a different take on “Jingle Bells.” In fact, she calls this version “Jingle Bells?” It’s fast and furious with a couple of different voices as well as some strange rhythms. (“Ja-ja-ja-jingle bells” any one?) I actually find it quite funny, but my dad hates it. Either way, it’s just under two minutes, so it’s over very quickly.

The rest of the first half is definitely my favorite part of the disc. The horns start of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” which includes a lyrical introduction I don’t think I’ve heard anywhere else before she launches into the familiar song. “The Christmas Song” starts off with some background singers before Barbra launches into a slow take on the song.

I have to give a special shout out to “White Christmas.” Again, there’s a special introduction where she bemoans the nice weather in Beverly Hills on Christmas Eve. Now that I live in Southern California, I especially appreciate the song. Then again, I’ve never had a white Christmas and don’t exactly dream of one since I’m not a fan of snow. (I always dream of a wet Christmas because we always had rain during December, but that’s another post.) The chorus of backup singers again come in at the end of this track.

This disc was also the first time I heard “My Favorite Things” as a Christmas song. I’m still not sure I get the connection, but it’s here. Barbra really slows it down, and the strings behind her are absolutely beautiful.

“The Best Gift” is a song I’ve never heard recorded anywhere else. In it, Barbra sings about the one thing that makes Christmas much more special, a baby.

This is where the old record I grew up listening to switched sides. For some reason, I’ve never quite connected to the second side as much as the first. Not to say the tracks are bad. We’ve got “Silent Night” and a version of “Ave Maria” that is sung in German and yet manages to not be overly operatic. This also features the most prominent use of the backup chorus.

The disc rounds out with “O Little Town of Bethlehem,” “I Wonder as I Wander,” and “The Lord’s Prayer.” Again, I wonder at the last one as a Christmas song, but it’s not that big a deal to me.

Maybe the reason I don’t connect as much with the second half is that it sounds so much like the first. Apart from the opening “Jingle Bells?” the disc is made up of 10 slow tracks. Don’t get me wrong, the orchestration is beautiful, and Barbra’s voice is wonderful. But a little more variety would have really helped it out.

Then again, when I stick these songs on, I immediately smile. In my mind, I’m back in my parents’ house curled up with a good book by the Christmas tree counting down the hours until Christmas morning. And for that reason alone Barbra Streisand’s A Christmas Album will always have a place in my Christmas rotation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly the classics, 26 Jan. 2005
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Christmas Album (Audio CD)
For the most part, this album features classic songs, sung in the traditional manner by Barbra. Barbra really didn't need to do any more, given her wonderful voice, but she does have a few surprises in store. The opening Jingle bells is not done in the traditional way as Barbra gallops through most of it at breakneck speed. I appreciate Barbra's attempt to do something different but I prefer the standard arrangement. After that brisk opening, the album slows down and never again rises above mid-tempo as the remainder of the album is dominated by ballads.
Barbra may have been the first singer to include My favorite things (the Julie Andrews classic from the Sound of music) in a Christmas album. Nobody is surprised any more that this song sometimes gets included in Christmas albums. The only original song is The best gift (about a baby). Barbra sings it beautifully.
Of Barbra's two Christmas albums, I prefer the other one to this, mainly because the songs are more interesting to me, but I know that a lot of Barbra's fans prefer this one, which was recorded when her voice was at its finest - however, Barbra was still in good voice on the other album.
If you love Barbra's music and you enjoy Christmas music, you will want both of her Christmas albums, but if you only want to buy one of them, you have a hard choice to make.

3.0 out of 5 stars Barbra Striesand, 7 Jan. 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality of recording poor, 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: A Christmas Album (Audio CD)
This album is good, Streisand at her best, however, let down by the recording engineers. At time the voice is muffled and lacking in clarity. I tried several times to correct the problem but even on headphones the same problem. Good tracks and Streisand on top of her game but sound quality just not there

5.0 out of 5 stars Streisand Christmas Album, 9 Jun. 2015
This review is from: A Christmas Album (Audio CD)
Great sounding "crimbo" Album, can just chill out,or put "decs" up,whilst listening to this. Enjoy !!🎁🎅🎄

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 May 2015
This review is from: A Christmas Album (Audio CD)
Excellent music CD from a great singer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Nov. 2014
great cd

5.0 out of 5 stars A CHRISTMASS ALBUM, 7 Jan. 2013
Mr. David Fretwell (HARLOW, ESSEX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Album (Audio CD)
IT WAS GIVEN AS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT AND APPEARS TO HAVEBEEN WELL RECEIVED AND APPRECIATED BY THER RECIPIENT.WELL WORTH BUYING

A Christmas Album
A Christmas Album by Barbra Streisand (Audio CD - 2008)