5.0 out of 5 stars Liquid music
What can I say? Track after track of classic tunes and lyrical genius from the pen of the underrated genius that is Paddy McAloon. It's all here from the obvious (King Of Rock 'n' Roll) to the lesser known but equally fantastic tracks (Prisoner Of The Past, Nightingales). An ideal purchase for the 'best of' listener who is open to a 'Life Of Surprises'
Published on 10 Jun 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Only for the hardcore Prefab Sprout fan
Published on 4 Feb 2005 by finny123

5.0 out of 5 stars Liquid music, 10 Jun 2002
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Disregard finny123 review!, 5 Sep 2007
This review is from: 38 Carat Collection (Audio CD)
The finny123 review seems a little strange to me...if you like When Loves Breaks Down, King of Rock, and Roll and Cars and Girls...then you've a brief enough equaintance with McAloon's songwriting style to appreciate the rest of his material - especially in a greatest hits style compilation. My lord...Doo Wop in Harlem, Bonny, We Let the Stars Go, Sound of Crying, Don't Sing...and so on. If you're looking at somewhere to begin with McAloon's output - this is as good a place to start as any. Either this or Swoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind the quality, feel the width..., 3 Nov 2000
This review is from: 38 Carat Collection (Audio CD)
The songwriting is outstanding - even ranking with the all-time greats (Sondheim et al), the audio quality exceptional, and for headphone listeners - the added bonus of tons of out-of-head imagery, make this two disc collection an absolute must-have. Rated on release as of demonstration quality, the 'Steve McQueen' album is complemented by 27 other tracks which, in the main, equal or surpass that marvellous hi-fi landmark. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure class, 16 Oct 2006
This review is from: 38 Carat Collection (Audio CD)
I don't typically write reviews for Amazon (altho' I do find other people's very useful!), as I'm usually too busy just buying stuff, but I was so incensed by the nonsense in the one star review below that I had to set the record straight. For anyone approaching this 38 Carat Collection for the first time, it deserves nothing less than the five stars everyone else has given it. I'm not sure what Mr One Star listens to the rest of the time, but I worry about his capacity to listen to and appreciate great music. Paddy McAloon is without question one of the finest songwriters of modern times, and this exemplary selection is a must have for anyone that doesn't every individual album. It is pure class from start to finish ... and the other 35 tracks ALL have something special going for them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Once described as 'the thinking mans pop', 23 Dec 2004
This review is from: 38 Carat Collection (Audio CD)
Prefab Sprout are one of the most underated bands of all time.
I heard 'Swoon' in the early eighties and was blown away. Paddy McAloon's lyrics are truly inspired and he has the most wonderful, original voice.
I have loved this band from the start and am saddened that the song most people know them by, 'The King of Rock 'n' Roll' is probably their worst.
'Steve McQueen' and 'From Langley Park to Memphis' will take you to the extreme of what is 'Prefab Sprout'. Wonderful, marvellous, brilliant. Just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could be biased as I'm a bit of a fan, 11 Sep 2010
This review is from: 38 Carat Collection (Audio CD)
I'm at a bit of a loss for words which is pretty unusual for me, but I just can't believe this finny person can give Prefab Sprout a 1 star rating and then go on to tell others that only the three songs he's listed are any good and that if you haven't heard anything else by them then not to bother with this collection. Maybe he needs to get a decent hi-fi system!
As a long time Sprout fan I have all of their albums and yes I'll admit not all the songs from every album are top notch material IMO but most are!
Swoon and Steve McQueen are still two of my favourite albums by them followed closely by Protest Songs and From Langley Park To Memphis.
I recently bought Let's Change The World With Music and although it's a good album I think it would have been a great album if Paddy McAloon hadn't felt he could do it all on his own without the orginal line-up as I can't help listening to it and hearing where Wendy Smiths' vocals are missing.
Also have his solo album I Trawl The Megahertz which is an interesting atmospheric album for late night listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definative Sprouts collection, 9 Feb 2000
M. J. Webber "Milesw" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 38 Carat Collection (Audio CD)
For those true "Prefabers" who suffered the rather twee "Life of Surprises" collection, here comes a more considered offering from Paddy and the gang. This collection is very well balanced, even if there is little on it from the much the underated "Swoon" album. You still have to skip the weak "pop" numbers for the classics, but the Andromeda Heights tracks at the end make it worthwhile. Buy this, slip on the headphones, and remind yourself that Prefab Sprout remain the UK's premier songwriting professionals.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only for the hardcore Prefab Sprout fan, 4 Feb 2005
This review is from: 38 Carat Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this album after hearing 'Cars and Girls' on a radio station. I had heard that song before as well as 'King of Rock n Roll' and 'when love breaks down'. These songs are all classics but I thought that with an album of 38 songs I would have found a few gems that I had never heard before. I was unfortunately wrong ! There was not one song amongst the other 35 that were anywhere near as good as the 3 songs already mentioned. To be honest I was disappointed to say the least especially after reading the reviews of the album on this site. Basically if you haven't heard anything else from prefab Sprout other than those 3 songs then this album isn't for you.

38 Carat Collection
38 Carat Collection by Prefab Sprout (Audio CD - 1999)