4.0 out of 5 stars A super buy for all Savage Garden Fans
If you already have the savage garden affirmation, I wouldnt recommend buying this album just for the extra live disc, but if you dont, and you had your eye on this, then get it! The live disc really adds flavour to the music and puts a real spin into all the most popular songs, and the music is still crystal clear!
I'm not a mad fan of Savage Garden, but I really...
Published on 26 Mar 2002 by M. Beaconsfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Savage is the name!
Well you know how you sometimes see a Cd and on the cover it says, "including the hit....", and the hit's the only good song on the album??? Well, for most of you this may be the case for savage gardens album, when i was about 15 or something and i got it,i loved it, its a purely depressing album that can help any kid through teenage angst (or get more angsty over it),...
Published on 25 April 2003 by loveslightwings

4.0 out of 5 stars A super buy for all Savage Garden Fans, 26 Mar 2002
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
I'm not a mad fan of Savage Garden, but I really loved the 2CD's. Even newbies will recognise the majority of the songs from the charts.
Its definatly worth the money! (and with ALL the words to ALL the songs on the inside cover, you cant go wrong!)
Very soulful, bubbly, and erm..well, just listen to those fans scream! Best appreciated turned up full blast, crusing in the car, hood down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Fun! Catchy! Poignant!, 17 Nov 2002
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
I won't deal with this song by song as I could talk for hours on end. The album as a whole is absolutely and utterly fantastic. Darren Hayes has a truly wonderful vocal range.
Some of the more poignant songs (I Dont Know You Anymore, Crash and Burn, Two Beds and a Coffee Machine) send chills up the spine.
The more upbeat songs (Affirmation and The Animal Song) have you singing along at the top of your voice (and get you funny looks from other drivers if you happen to be playing the album in your car!
An absolute "must-have" album! Even my 8 year old son plays this album non stop and knows all the words to each and every song.
Brilliant. Its only fault.......not enough songs!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums you can buy, 24 Dec 2003
David Firth "dudey_cool" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
Savage Garden are one of the best bands we've had for ages. They write their own music and it all comes from personal experience; which is why Darren Hayes, the band's singer, sings with such emotion.
Affirmation is Savage Garden's best album. It combines every emotion from love, to happiness, to sadness. Affirmation, the first song, is a burst of positive energy and a feel-good song that you can dance along to. It's basically 20 or so things that the duo believe in, such as you should never let the sun settle on an argument, and what better advice is there then that?
The sceond song, Hold Me, is one of the best of the album. It deals with the frustration you might feel in a relationship and is one of those songs that you can listen to and, especially if you've had be day, just forget about everything.
Crash and Burn, the fifth song, is brilliant. It's another feel-goos song, with gentle lyrics and singing, it's great to pick you up. This idea of picking you up and making you feel good is an underlying current featured in most, if not all, of the songs on the album.
The Animal Song, track seven, is filled with crazy lyrics such as "when superstars and cannonballs are running through your head" and on a primary level, it's a song to make you laugh and bob your head to, but if you think about what the lyrics are saying, it can actually have an impact on how you think about things. And it's this subtle intelligence in each song that makes Savage Garden brilliant.
The final song I want to mention is Two Beds and a Coffee Machine, track nine, bescause it is by far the best. The song, sung simply with the accompnament of a piano, talks about a broken family and has the power to make you cry. It's a beautiful song that will probably make you feel sad, but at the end makes you see that anything is endurable.
Savage Garden's Affirmation album is definately worth the money and appeals to nearly everyone, regardless of what music you usually listen to. A friend of mine who only listens to rock, listens to this album. And another friend who is purely into metal still likes this album. And I, more of a pop man, love this album; proving its universal attraction. Buy it, I know you'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affirmation??? Affirmative - Go for it!!!, 1 Nov 2001
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
Savage Garden are one of the greatest bands around at the moment ... truly, madly, deeply. And this 2nd album from the band just goes to prove that. I have had the album for a year now and there hasn't been a day thats gone by that AFFIRMATION hasn't been played on my CD player. Even after a year, the album hasn't lost its original flavour and essence that it brought to me when I first listened to it. It is a mixture of the brutal honesty and simplicity of separation in "The Lover After Me" along with sugar pop classics such as "The Best Thing", "Affirmation" and "Chained to You". These songs just make you want to get up, dance ... and feel good about yourself. It is an album of true emotion, feeling and understanding, with soulful ballads including "Hold Me" and "I Knew I Loved You" - this album can be related to so many issues we face in life that it is like a SOUNDTRACK TO LIFE in itself. With Darren's voice, so full of emotion, and Daniel's acoustics, of true depth and originality, Savage Garden have managed to remain strong in our hearts for 5 years since the release of their first single in 1996. Their first album - SAVAGE GARDEN - is also truly outstanding!!! However, believe me, if you enjoyed them the first time around, this second album will overwhelm you. Savage Garden truly ARE the heart and soul of modern pop music.
"...I believe in karma what you give is what you get returned..." - Savage Garden - Affirmation
So, buy AFFIRMATION now and get your love for Savage Garden returned to you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars magic, 12 Oct 2003
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
A great album, that I'm sure for many people is a soundtrack to their lives. It still is one of my most played CD's, every track stirring up particular memories. Standout tracks, Affirmation, Lover after me, I dont know you anymore, possibly my favourite 3. The bonus live disc adds extra value to the album, the songs are performed really well live. The only downside is the band are no more, which is a great shame, because for me they could have gone on making great records, in the same style as this album, forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, what can i say?, 6 Feb 2003
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
Words just cant do this amazing album justice! I was totally blown away the first time i heard it and even now, over 2years after buying it, i listen to it every day. If you havent already bought this album, why not? The raw emotion injected into this album both lyrically and musically is guaranteed to have you hooked the first time you listen. This is not only an album from the most talented duo to emerge in the 90's but it is a soundtrack to life which im sure everyone can relate to. 'Affirmation' itself sets the mood of the album with its strikingly accurate observations of life. 'I Knew I Loved You' is a classic love song and gives a strong sense of the purity and innocence of love. Both 'The Best Thing' and 'Chained To You' tell a similar tale of a relationship of desire and tension, both are feel good, irresistable lively songs. The two undoubted high lights of the album have to be 'Crash And Burn', a lullaby to anyone whos ever felt down, lost or suicidal and has such a strength in the lyrics that after one listen, you know that life really is worth living and in the end everything always ends up ok, and 'You Can Still Be Free', which is my absolute favourite song of all time and just proves what a uniquely talented lyricist and vocalist Darren Hayes really is. Affirmation is a beautiful, powerful and enjoyable collection of pop, soft rock and ballads that will suit all tastes. If you only buy one album in your life, make sure it is Affirmation by Savage Garden. Not having the stunning way with words that Darren Hayes does, i cant fully express how fantastic this album really is but PLEASE TRUST ME, if you buy this album, you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPINE TINGLING, 4 April 2001
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
I only received this c.d this morning and it is already on its 7th turn around the c.d player.For anyone who saw savage garden on their recent affirmation world tour(or those who wished they had)the live disc is not to be missed.That voice sends shivers down the spine.The dance version of I Knew I Loved You is just spectacular,as are the rest of the tracks.Once again FABULOUS

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely, Positively, Unquestionably Fantastic, 27 Sep 2000
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
I was given this album for my birthday in June but it was August before I got around to really listening to it. I could kick myself because it is the best album I've heard in a long, long time. I have Savage Garden's first album but this is streets ahead of it. It is one of the few albums I have where I don't skip any tracks! My favourites are "Affirmation" (how true are the lyrics?), "I Knew I Loved You" and "Gunning Down Romance". I am currently playing it to death but don't think I'll ever get bored with it. All my friends and family will be receiving a copy for Christmas and Birthday presents unless they've already been smart enough to buy it themselves! I can't wait to see the band live in London in October as I'll be able to sing along with every word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affirmation = Fantastic!, 25 July 2000
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
I first became aware of Savage Garden with their hits 'Crash and Burn' and 'I knew I Loved You', and after being unable to get their new song, 'Affirmation' out of my head, I succumbed to buying their album! This is the best album I have bought for a LONG time! Being a big fan of Eighties music, I can see the comparisons with some of the music from that era, but my particular favourites are the more modern songs on the album - 'The Lover After Me', and 'Two Beds and a Coffee Machine'. They are so full of emotion and yet so simple and so catchy! I can tell this is a particularly fantastic album, because it's normally only the title tracks that get stuck in your head, but from this album you can sing all of the songs by the third time you've heard them through!

5.0 out of 5 stars New growth in the garden..., 23 Nov 2005
Kurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (London, SW1) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
I have enjoyed Savage Garden since I first received their self-titled CD by mistake a few years ago. It was one of those 'I forgot to send the card in on time' arrivals from a CD club -- the kind of mistake that often as not yields a good surprise. This time it did, and when I learned of a follow-up album released by Savage Garden, I determined that I would not await fate and actually purposefully purchase this one. I am not sorry I did.
I live more than an hour away from work and school, and thus am constantly in my car. I thus have a lot of time to spend listening to music. Savage Garden's Affirmation has become a regular in my rotation of CDs for driving. Their music is generally upbeat, pop-sounding without sinking to the worse aspects of pop music, with interesting and meaningful lyrics and a variety of tempos to keep the CD interesting for the long drive.
The first song, Affirmation, from which the album derives its name, is essentially a creed, a wonderfully undogmatic statement of what Daniel Jones and Darren Hayes believe. Okay, so it will not replace the Nicene Creed anytime soon, but I would much rather have the youth of today singing along to this kind of music than some of the recent things that have dominated the radio airwaves.
Darren Hayes sings lead and background vocals for most of the songs (ain't technology grand?), and Daniel Jones plays and engineers the keyboards, synthesizers, drum machines and other rhythm instruments. Being a macintosh user, I appreciate that they use macintosh for much of their programming, too.
Hayes and Jones concentrate on romantic and uplifting songs. These songs are meant to highlight societal situations (to make you think) or a strong emotion (to make you feel). Very much at home in mainstream pop music, their songs nonetheless stand out as beautiful, melodious, and lyrical. From their first 'hit' from this album, the emotive poetry, expressed by Hayes high-pitched yet soul-full voice, backed up by music that gently accompanies and guides without overpowering, one can sense a great love:
I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life
A song such as Crash and Burn ends up being a very different song from what it sounds from the title. Whereas one would not be surprised at an urban-influenced song with this title highlighting the violence in society, this song is instead a fairly gentle, friend-in-need song:
Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
You're not alone
This is an album of strong sentiments, of deep feeling that shines forth in every song.
This CD-Box set includes the album 'Affirmation' along with a collection of live performances from their concert tour (also available on DVD). It is interesting to compare the versions, as well as hear some other pieces along the way.
They are a very welcome import from down under (Australia) and I am sorry they are no longer producing albums.

Affirmation
Affirmation by Savage Garden (Audio CD - 2006)