5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite
I just can't believe it. I never heard about this disc and I love "Art of Noise". This album is a nonstop remix of their earlier music. And this is the most perfect remix I've ever listened to. I am actually writing this review and listen to it right now.
Published on 23 Aug 2003 by Vlad

3.0 out of 5 stars not the purists choice.
Published on 25 Dec 2003 by idontwantanamazonickname

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite, 23 Aug 2003
Vlad (russianwriter.net) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ambient Collection (Audio CD)
If you love the "dream music", if you love to write and need a music which will help you with it, if you just love good music of any kind? A must have CD in your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally different from anything you may have experianced., 18 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Ambient Collection (Audio CD)
A record that uses aeroplanes, horses galloping, cock crowing, even snoring as an introduction to its next track or even an integral part of it. Doesn't sound like your kind of music? Same here, until I heard it. Try it, stay with it, and you'll be hooked. Perfect to chill out on at the end of the day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ambient mix, 22 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Ambient Collection (Audio CD)
My first exposure to "The Art of Noise" was some time ago; instantly, the idea of playing tunes using samples from ordinary and everyday sounds appealed to me. The "Peter Gun" theme amusingly sounded better than the original.
This CD is a fair mix of their work, carefully blended together to give almost one long work. There are a number of interlude tracks, and each section begins (as you may imagine) with pure ambient sounds (such as a horse rider passing by), which gradually lead into the song. It's great for putting on in the background, and chilling out to. Even so, some of the melodies are punchy enough to actively listen to -- for instance, I enjoyed the track "Robinson Crusoe".
Admittedly, this is getting to be quite old music, but even so, it shows a forward-looking attitude, instead of some other awful music to have come out of the late '80s and early '90s.

5.0 out of 5 stars A long time favourite, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ambient Collection (Audio CD)
I had this music on a tape many moons ago and felt a need to listen to it again, especially Island. Very soothing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halfway between the experimental 80's and the more "symphonic" approach ..., 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ambient Collection (Audio CD)
Halfway between the experimental 80's and the more "symphonic" approach of "The Seduction of Claude Debussy", this album proves once again that AoN has played a substantial pioneering role in the development of contemporary music.

3.0 out of 5 stars not the purists choice., 25 Dec 2003
This review is from: Ambient Collection (Audio CD)
I know the AON from the 80s. I know the originals. These are linked with non-music sounds which I HATE ! I find it irritating to hear totally non-relevant sea-sounds, bees or school kids screaming inbetween (and through!!) tracks that were once new and inspiring. These DJ-added glue drops are unneccesary. If you want AON pure, buy the original albums without this sea-crap inbetween. Sound-wise it is a-okay.
Would I buy it again ? No, probably not. Rarely has an album annoyed me, this is one of those rare exceptions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not very relevant either, 12 July 2007
Gavin Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ambient Collection (Audio CD)
Ambient music seemed to be part of the 90's response to work stress. With or without your favourite hypnotist supplying a few soothing instructions about how comfortable a person you were, ambient sounds of sea and surf were the order of the day, and it's not surprising that the Art of Noise should want to re-package their music in that form, despite having already issued a Greatest Hits CD.

I remember Anne Dudley appearing on a GLR programme equivalent to 'Desert Island Discs', and citing Robert Mellin's theme tune to Robinson Crusoe as one of her most influential tracks (along with Joni Mitchell's 'Shades of Scarlett Conquering', incidentally). Soon after that, the Robinson Crusoe programmes of the 1960s were released on video, and are now collectors' items -- or at least they were until June 2007, when the French series was finally released on DVD.

So this CD, for me, is a celebration of the Robinson Crusoe theme tune, which appears on at least two of the tracks here, and much of the rest seems to be built around the sea and surf of that story.

However, listening to it again in 2007, it's not a perfect album. If you wanted to use it as a stress reliever, you'd need to burn your own version of the CD with the noisier tracks removed. But it's all quite listenable.

2.0 out of 5 stars I really don't like this, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Ambient Collection (Audio CD)
I downloaded the mp3 album by Art of Noise - The Seduction of Claude Debussy and loved it.

After reading the reviews on this album [I couldn't listen, unfortunately] I bought this `blind'. I would not recommend it. I know listening to music is a subjective matter, however, for what it is worth to others - this album leaves my senses feeling bored.

I would recommend potential purchasers listen to the whole album first before buying.