Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 April 2012
I believe these are the first two albums Bond recorded as a band leader, having previously been a notable (no pun intended) sideman with Don Rendell's jazz quintet. In the blues based ORGANization he doubled alto and Hammond whilst providing gruff lead vocals over the jazz-rock backdrop of Heckstall-Smith (tenor), Bruce (bass/vocals) and Baker (drums). The band had a formidable live reputation on the 60s British R'n'B scene, later spawning Cream and Colosseum and this classic line-up can be seen in action in the Gonks Go Beat film. Having previously heard the Live at Klook's Kleek album (also available under other titles, such as The Beginning of Jazz-Rock), I must say I was rather disappointed with this double studio offering. In a live context, Bond's raucous yet unmelodic vocals sound earthy; here they sound awkward, especially on the ballad material. Equally, the band as a whole seem rather stilted, as if uncomfortable in the studio environment. The best numbers are the fast-paced instrumentals: Wade in the Water, Virginia Woolf and Last Night but for sheer excitement, I would recommend the live album. R.I.P. Jack. I Met the Blues at Klooks Kleek
on 22 July 2007
After listening to just the first track "Hoochie Coochie Man" I was right back in the packed upstairs room at Klooks Kleek listening to Graham Bond playing the blues. I visted this club many times in my younger days and have loved listening to the blues ever since.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 August 2013
I recently watched the DVD BEWARE OF MR BAKER - Lovely Man! It reminded me how much I liked his drumming and of the times as a very young lad of 19 or so I went to the 100 Club (I think) to see for the first time and completely by accident, the amazing Graham Bond Organisation. There were about 4 rows of cinema type seats at the front, and I remember sitting in the front row mesmerised by this amazing band the like of which I had never heard or seen before. So I investigated available material and came across this wonderful 2 disc edition of Bond's first 2 albums. It's not just nostalgia. These albums are great. Raw, yet sophisticated in the interpretaion of classic Blues and Soul and Jazz. If you are a Baker fan you get 2 great examples of his work on Track 6 and 26. The rest almost without exception is fantastic rocking good times with 2 or 3 slower numbers (can't agree about "Tammy" - Bond sings it well, but it's out of place), and all in all a good oportunity to sample one of the truly innovative bands of the 60's at a good price. Highly recomended.
on 4 March 2015
REALLY Good...Holds UP after 50 years...and Hardly Any other recorded R&B from that time does...You have 2/3rds. of CREAM of course...And Graham Bond His Good Self...on Alto on Organ on Vocals...One of the early 'Great Ones'...that crashed and burned...Too Soon.
on 5 May 2013
Ive been listening to 60's blues music for aeons but Graham Bond was one who escaped my listening radar. Ive only listened to this double album once but still rate it five stars because I like most of the tracks. I saw Graham Bond playing some great blues on his organ in a 1965 beat movie 'Gonks Go Beat' and despite the movie appearing corny the inclusion of Graham Bond and other great beat groups from that era, contains a treasure trove of an exciting period from the baby boom generation. Its a shame though none of the tracks that Bond sang in 'Gonks Go Beat' are included in this double album. I would rate his musical ability on par with John Mayall, who also played around the same time.
on 23 October 2012
Having seen Graham Bond "Live" many times in the 60's this studio recording does not do him justice,to capture him at his magical best may I suggest potential buyers go for the "Klooks Kleek Live" CD.
on 8 April 2012
I used to own the Sound of 65 but lost it somewhere in a house move. It's great but of it's time so may not appeal to all. Worth checking out for the 2/3 rds of Cream involved. Personal fave Neighbour Neighbour
I wasn't familiar with the second LP & probably don't enjoy it as much but a great value for money package
on 28 November 2011
These are the two Graham Bond Organisation Albums following on from the debut live at Klooks Kleek, and are very interesting in that the band contains two/thirds of super group Cream, that included Eric Clapton also. Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce would go on to provide the rhythm section for Cream.
on 6 April 2014
I wore out the vinyl when younger and it was great to find Bond Between us on this album. Excellent musicicians playing some great stuff. There is the odd track that may not appeal to all but these, whilst still technically brilliant, are far outweighed by all the rest.
on 7 October 2014
I gave my original album to my elder brother (Hammond organ maestro) so it was great to re-discover Bond and his band. These tracks represent the early mix of jazz-rock-blues and Bond was one the pioneers of this style. Took me right back to the sixties.