5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!
This is a set for the die-hard fan. It has every song in the musical, both a curse and a blessing. A curse because some parts drag and really need the benefit of seeing it live to understand what's happening, a blessing because it allows the listener to fully understand and appreciate the story which is hard to do using highlight CD's.
Despite the low points, I...
Published on 30 Dec 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to scratch (in my opinion)
This is, unfortunatly, a recording where the orchestra upstage the cast in a rather blatent fashion. The exception is "Stars" performed by Philip Quast however he is the best of a bad bunch. Valjean (Gary Morris) seems insincere and his rendition of "Bring Him Home" is positively cringe worthy compared to previous Valjeans, who play the part with the grace and maturity...
Published on 19 Jan 2006 by M. Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic full recording of the best of the International Cast, 6 Mar 2013
whilst some of the cast in this performance are a bit ropey, it still boasts the best Javert I have ever heard. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Miserables makes me Tres joyeux!, 28 Feb 2013
K. Steele (Plymouth, Devon) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful and complete recording of the classic Les Miserables. Having seen productions and more recently, the movie, I have to say that this is the best I have heard, and is probably the best interpretation of the stage version in terms of musical score, recording and vocal quality. The only very tiny niggle I have is that Fantine sounds a little older than she should be, but as previously said, the vocals are amazing and so I can live with that quite easily!
All in all, a fantastic musical and worth every penny - I play it constantly (to the annoyance of my husband, who unfortunately is not a fan of musicals!)
One final point - I also purchased the film 'highlights' production.....there is a lot missing, but it reminds me so very well of the movie that I can fill in the gaps! The complete symphonic recording has everything included, so that helps as well :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic 3CD set, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables: Compl (Audio CD)
I bought this set in 1989 or 1990 because I was due to go to see the stage version in LA and wanted to understand both the story and the songs before I went so that I could really enjoy the stage version. Initially the songs take some understanding, some of them do have a samey feel. Anyway, I stuck with them and learnt them thouroughly. I fell in love with all the songs and the stage version (which had Colm Wilkinson as Jean Valjean) was just unbelievable. In the past 22 years I have played these CD's so many times I have lost count. All my 4 children were brought up on them.
I think without doubt this is the finest Les Miserable collection available. If you are a Les Mis fan, or plan on going to see Les Mis then I would strongly recommend this set but you do need patience to keep playing it until you know it backwards. Of course you can always take a few of the better known songs and put them in a playlist.

The other advantage of this set is it has all the words to all the songs and it explains the story. If you have seen the film version then you will know the story but if not this really does help in understanding the stage version.

As may have been mentioned by other reviewers the producers of the set went round the world and chose the very best characters/voices from all the productions then running. These singers were the creme de la creme and it shows, particularly when compared to those singing in the film version.

I love this 3 CD set.

4.0 out of 5 stars The complete Les Miserables., 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
This CD is great and the only existing recording of the whole production of Les Miserables in English.

Although I absolutely adore this musical there were a few minor quibbles I had with this CD - I should say this may just be because I'm very picky when it comes to Les Mis but anyway...

Grantaire's voice was perhaps the most annoying of my problems with this CD as it was very.. I want to say rusty and catching and reminded me a bit of a cheese grater. However, I suppose this may be how Grantaire would have sounded according to the book and as he is a more minor character I can deal with this but for me Hadley Fraser (25th anniversary concert) will always be the perfect Grantaire.

I am a big fan of the West End version of Les Mis and so when I first listened to this it did annoy me a little that the ABC friends and the Cosette, in particular, pronounced things in an American way - for example Grantaire said "I am agog, I am aghaast" and Cosette - "how strange this feeling that my life's begun at lhaast, this change can people really fall in love so fhaast". However, I have to say after listening again this did not bother me quite so much.

So on to the positives of the CD; Michael Ball was of course fantastic as Marius and I absolutely loved the Gavroche (The second attack actually made me cry - embarrassing as the room was full of people). I should probably say that I was quite disappointed that, although this says it is a complete recording, Little People was actually cut short as it is in the newer version of the show - upsetting as the Gavroche was so good.

Although the Eponine was slightly odd to listen to at first - I hear she didn't speak a word of English and so learned the whole thing phonetically - her voice grew on me and her On My Own sounded a lot like Francis Ruffelle's version (kind of wispy) and you can't really go wrong with that.

So in the end my minor annoyances with this recording were outweighed by the good things and it's great to finally have it on my iPod. Here's hoping they release a new complete recording for the 50th anniversary - or maybe sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent music, excellent recording, 6 Feb 2011
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
I've been listening to Les Mis a lot recently on Spotify as I went to see it at the West End.
It's an excellent musical and this is my favourite recording to listen to - rich and accomplished.

3.0 out of 5 stars At least you get the whole score! Is that a good thing?, 28 Oct 2003
The bottom line is that in the grand scheme of Les Mis recordings the one to own is the Tenth Anniversary concert Recording.
This is the recording of the full score with an international cast however unlike the symphonic Miss Saigon Cd this does not make it the Dream recording. If you already have other Les Mis Cd's this may be the one for you as you do get the whole score whereas the tenth anniversary recording is heavily cut down. (quite rightly so)
Some of the singing on this CD is cringe worthy and "Red and Black", "On My Own" and "Fantine's Death" are a hoot. It may be worth the money for the comedy value and some of the cast's interesting intepretations of the similarities between singing and shouting.
RED!!!! *growl*

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Miserables, 12 Sep 2009
Patricia E. Saunders (Glossop, Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
This was a birthday present for a dear friend and she is delighted with it. Amazon are brilliant things are dealt with promptly and efficiently. Se is delighted with the present. Thanking you once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful recording, 22 July 2000
By A Customer
This wonderful version contains every single note of this wonderful musical of alain boublil and claude Michel schonberg. The cast is a dream cast from all over the world. And that include barry james which is the best thenardier ,philip quast and michael ball. .unfortunately the little gavroch death is over reacted and that shows us that little people can do much more....how ever this is a wonderfull record and you can hear the people sing over and over a gain. (and if you are in london...go and see them . they are grate )

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB!!!, 13 May 2005
Kate (Hereford, Herefordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
I have recently starred in a local production of the school's edition of Les Miserables and have to say that it is definitely the best musical ever written!! The songs and music is phenomenal and this has to be the best recording of it.
Les Miserables will carry on on the West End for many years to come, everyone who loves musicals should buy this CD, actually, EVERYBODY should have this in their music collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but still enjoyable, 1 Mar 2002
I was disappointed with the quality of the singing - some of the cast seem to be trying too hard and the result is the impression of amateurish over-enthusiasm rather than the intense emotion I would usually associate with Les Miserables. Having said that, it is fantastic to have the whole musical rather than just the highlights and it's worth buying just for that.

Les Miserables
Les Miserables by Michael Ball (Audio CD - 2007)