4.0 out of 5 stars Steptacular pop songs
Steps renew their efforts for success with their second album, Steptacular.
Published on 1 July 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars "Not as Steptacular as expected"
Published on 13 Aug 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Steptacular pop songs, 1 July 2000
This review is from: Steptacular (Audio CD)
Steps renew their efforts for success with their second album, Steptacular.
The album is immediately strengthened with the inclusion of Christmas '98 hit Tragedy, an infinitely catchy dance tune which just... IS Steps. Steps have also played on the fact that songs are listened to more if released as singles by releasing no less than five others: After The Love Has Gone, Say You'll Be Mine, When I Said Goodbye, Deeper Shade of Blue and one other. Say You'll Be Mine has much less of an impact without its mock-movie video, and After The Love Is Gone is a melancholy song which reflects on the newfound 'maturity' of Steps. This maturity manifests itself in a few melancholy songs such as Deeper Shade of Blue and When I Said Goodbye, and to be honest, this doesn't help them at all. Steps' strength is its positivity and happy clappy feelgood songs and rhythms. Somehow, I don't think 'On everyone the sun will shine, well someone else must be getting mine' as an example, quite lives up to that.
In short, it's not as good as Step One. The songs in the second half of the album are too indistinctive and miss out on the brightness I've come to expect from Steps. Having said that, the album does have many strengths, mostly from its singles, but also from songs such as Movin On, a quickpaced, Motown style song.
Owing to Steps' curious tendency to label a single a double a-side and then put the second side onto a future album, Steptacular is unfortunately denied the glory of great Steps songs Better the Devil You Know and Summer of Love.
By deserting the more immature styles of classics such as 5, 6, 7, 8 and Heartbeat, Steps have lost a vital part of themselves and their music which is difficult to compensate for. I think however, that Steps fans will adore this album, and any light fans will enjoy at least half of the songs. If you liked Steps' singles from Steptacular, then buy the album. if you didn't, then don't, but while this album isn't superb, you'll be missing out without it - Steps themselves, and their depraved, dance routined music is, for all it's flaws, a brilliant package of fun that I, and probably you, just can't live without if you are a true pop fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Not as Steptacular as expected", 13 Aug 2000
This review is from: Steptacular (Audio CD)
My initial expectations of this album were, judging by the previous material that Steps had produced extremly positive and certainly the first half of the album reflects this with songs like "Tragedy" and "Deeper shade of Blue". Unfortunately, the latter half of the album is extremly poor.With a Steps album you expect to be dancing and singing along with your mates until the very end, but the slower songs such as "Make it easy on me" are disappointing and not really that "Steptacular". OK, considering it was my first steps album,but lets make sure the next one is unforgetabble guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic album from the fab five, 22 July 2000
summiey@aol.com (Buckinghamshire,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steptacular (Audio CD)
Once again Steps prove that unlike many other "pop" bands they actually have talent. "Tragedy" is of course amazing, Deeper shade of Blue is also fab. I'm not keen on any of the boys solo's but that is probably because they have much weaker voices than the girls. A must have CD!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool!, 18 July 2000
This review is from: Steptacular (Audio CD)
I think this album is brill! I wouldn't say its better then Step one though as a few of the songs sound exacly the same as tragety.I didn't like Whe nI say Goodbye much but all the other songs are good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply steptacular!, 24 Jun 2000
This review is from: Steptacular (Audio CD)
The best cd on the planet, except for Step One of course! The best track definately has to be Say You'll be Mine (H you can be mine any day! ), closely followed by all the others with H on lead vocals- I have a soft spot for H obviously, but who doesnt! The only problem, is that there arent enough songs! We need more, before we get withdrawal symptoms!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steptacular is just spectacular!, 17 Jun 2000
This review is from: Steptacular (Audio CD)
I think this CD is extremely good. My favourite song is "Deeper Shade of Blue" I like the album because every member in Steps gets a chance to sing. I love listening to different pop groups but Steps is my favourite. I have never been to their concerts before but if I did I know I wouldn't be disapPointed with their songs. I think they deserve 10 stars but the maximum is 5. I think Steps are the best band since ABBA.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb collection of chart hits and decent B sides, 14 May 2000
This review is from: Steptacular (Audio CD)
When I first bought it I was convinced that half the songs were awful.
But the songs grew on me and they're all quite catchy tunes that make you feel great.
They have certainly matured since they brought out Step One. This was also a good album but not as good as this one.
The songs LOVES GOT A HOLD ON MY HEART and NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN are two songs that really gets into gear and provides a decent base on which the other songs can start off on.
Great musics by the girls and lads I'm certainly waiting in anticipation for the next album to explode on to the scene.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Exactly Steptacular, 14 May 2000
This review is from: Steptacular (Audio CD)
The singles released from this album show that the album has certainly some potential, however on buying the record I must confess that I was somewhat dissapointed. Apart from the singles released I can only honestly say there is one other good song and that is "Since You Took Your Love Away" which is quite different from the usual "steps broken chord sequence". The 3 stars are deserved by the 7 good tracks out of a 14 track album. This album is just about worth buying if you like the releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars my fave album ever, 6 May 2000
This review is from: Steptacular (Audio CD)
This is really really good. I love it. This album is so good as it involves alot of singing from each group member which is different from "Step One"my fave songs are "After The Love Has Gone" and their fourthcoming single "when I said Goodbye" buy it now you would regret it believe me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steps at their best!, 10 April 2000
This review is from: Steptacular (Audio CD)
This is my favourite album I have bought. From Tragedy at the start right through to Every thing that matters to me, this album is 100% of pure pop magic. My favourite tracks are Deeper shade of blue and Since you took your love away. I think Steps have really done well in keeping the success of Step one going!

ARRAY(0xb40d7ccc)

Steptacular
Steptacular by Steps (Audio CD - 1999)